Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Spotify is launching a new content filter feature for its Family Plan to give parents and guardians better control over what their children listen to.

Spotify_New_Family_Mix.jpg

The owner of the family plan master account will be able to set an Explicit Content Filter on individual sub-accounts, which will prevent the user from playing anything in the Spotify library marked as explicit.

The filter is accessed from a new Family Hub, where the master account holder can add and remove family members and update the family address. The ability to set the content filter will be password protected to add an extra layer of security.

Apart from the new content filter, Spotify is also introducing a new Family Mix feature, which gives the whole family access to personalized playlists. The changes are rolling out today in Ireland and coming soon to other regions and territories where the family plan is offered.

Spotify's $14.99 Family Plan allows up to six people to jump on board the same subscription to the streaming service, although Spotify does expect all members to live under the same roof.

Apple Music also offers a family subscription for $14.99 for up to six people to use via Family Sharing. Parents can also use Apple's Screen Time feature to set content restrictions remotely for their kids' devices.

Article Link: Spotify Adds Parental Control Feature to its Family Plan

TrulsZK

macrumors regular
May 1, 2018
Norway
The owner of the family plan master account will be able to set an Explicit Content Filter on individual sub-accounts, which will prevent the user from playing anything in the Spotify library marked as explicit.

In my opinion a simple on/off switch for Explicit does not give enough options, but here Apple isn’t any better here.
Please give us more options, similar to age ratings for films and apps.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
In my opinion a simple on/off switch for Explicit does not give enough options, but here Apple isn’t any better here.
Please give us more options, similar to age ratings for films and apps.
You do realize that ratings of movies are determined by the movie studios, not Apple.
Doing the same thing for music would rely on the labels and artists to classify their own songs, into some arbitrary rating where all labels and artists have to agree on. That would be highly subjective.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
You do realize that ratings of movies are determined by the movie studios, not Apple.
Doing the same thing for music would rely on the labels and artists to classify their own songs, into some arbitrary rating where all labels and artists have to agree on. That would be highly subjective.
Same for apps. The age rating for apps is selected by the developer.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia

Movie ratings are assigned by an independent body, the MPAA. Although there seems to be quite a bit of leeway between R and PG-13. The system is voluntary. But movie studios submit to it for any chance of getting into theaters.

TV Parental Guidelines are assigned by the networks. A monitoring board does review aired programs to ensure networks are using some consistency. Although I can find no info on enforcement. Outside of making sure they have a ratings badge and air the minimum number of educational hours.

Streaming services also utilize the TV Parental Guidelines used by networks. This is voluntary. They have no requirement to use ratings I'm aware of.

This is all in regards to the US.

FamVR

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2019
I don’t understand why anyone would put restrictions on a music service. I mean we have four grownup children, two in San Fransisco right now, and not ever have we restricted anything music/game related. For us raising our children was all about teaching them right from wrong, and let them judge for themselves, but hey, to each his own.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I don’t understand why anyone would put restrictions on a music service. I mean we have four grownup children, two in San Fransisco right now, and not ever have we restricted anything music/game related. For us raising our children was all about teaching them right from wrong, and let them judge for themselves, but hey, to each his own.
That’s so undemocratic. Do you know that your children are part of the society, so the society shall set the standard for your child, including what they should listen and watch. Your contribution are welcomed, but shall not undermine the standard set by the society.

/s

On a more serious note, I agree with you. Unfortunately there are increasing numbers of people who don’t want to be accountable in teaching their children, and thus will try to find external parties to be the nanny of their children.

dudu2019

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2019
I think this is very helpful, especially for the little students. Some sing lytics are not suitable for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.