Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

spotifysoundcloud-250x216.jpg
Streaming music service and Apple Music rival Spotify is in "advanced talks" to acquire audio distribution platform SoundCloud, reports Financial Times. Little information is available on the terms of the potential deal at this time.

SoundCloud, which allows users to upload, promote, and share audio recordings ranging from music to podcasts, has upwards of 175 million total listeners a month, which could bring a huge influx of customers to Spotify and give it an edge over Apple.

Spotify has 40 million paying subscribers compared to Apple Music's 17 million paying subscribers, but Apple Music's numbers have been growing steadily since its 2015 launch. Apple Music is also backed by the strength of Apple's subscriber base, which dwarfs that of most other music services and gives the company a huge pool of potential future subscribers.

As competition heats up between Spotify and Apple Music, the two have become bitter rivals and have been involved in some public battles over issues like exclusivity, the App Store, and free listening tiers in recent months.

SoundCloud recently introduced a new subscription service designed to compete with Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, and other music streaming options. SoundCloud Go, priced at $9.99, gives users on-demand ad-free access to 125 million tracks, including premium licensed content.

With a SoundCloud acquisition, Spotify could potentially add all of that user-created content to its own music catalog, giving customers more original content to listen to along with its existing licensed content.

Article Link: Spotify in 'Advanced Talks' to Purchase SoundCloud

pbush25

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
This would be awful. SoundCloud is a place for aspiring artists and the like to get their content out to those that aren't behind a paywall and taking this away from them by purchasing their outlet would be disastrous. Plus I use SoundCloud and Apple Music in conjunction and if all that other music disappeared I would be sad.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
With a SoundCloud acquisition, Spotify could potentially add all of that user-created content to its own music catalog, giving customers more original content to listen to along with its existing licensed content.
A merger that makes sense from a customers perspective? Go away, what's next. Internet companies paying their taxes? Alter Schwede.

heifetz7

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
Wonder why Apple isn't buying Soundcloud instead. If they're willing to pay 3bn for Beats, SoundCloud would be a bargain and a drop in the bucket for them. And more importantly, Soundcloud has a much younger audience than Beats.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Wonder why Apple isn't buying Soundcloud instead. If they're willing to pay 3bn for Beats, SoundCloud would be a bargain and a drop in the bucket for them. And more importantly, Soundcloud has a much younger audience than Beats.
It would be horrible if Apple purchased Soundcloud, because their game plan would be to absorb it. At least with Spotify we have a chance they'll leave it alone and find a way to monetize it.

heifetz7

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
It would be horrible if Apple purchased Soundcloud, because their game plan would be to absorb it. At least with Spotify we have a chance they'll leave it alone and find a way to monetize it.

They could've integrated it into apple music, it's a good alternative / indie addition to the mainstream stuff that they have, since it allows anyone to upload their own music, it's something that is missing right now. Maybe apple doesn't want to do it, since it kinda conflicts with the commercial side of the business.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
If they're willing to pay 3bn for Beats, SoundCloud would be a bargain and a drop in the bucket for them. And more importantly, Soundcloud has a much younger audience than Beats.
Audience? Oh I remember, Beats was supposed to be about a curated music service, not just expensive headphones. Yeah, that didn't work for me. I don't like most music from outside Berlin.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Huge fan of Soundcloud, one of the best places to get DJ sets. Smart purchase by Spotify if it goes through.

Same here. Absolutely love Soundcloud. While I prefer Apple Music over Spotify after the iOS 10 redesign, I'd certainly be swayed to move back to Spotify depending on how they incorporate Soundcloud into their existing catalog.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Came to ask the same thing. Their investors must love the smell of burning cash.

Investors gave Spotify another $500 million not too long ago.

That's on top of the $2+ billion they have already given them over the years.

Burn baby burn!

Investors must be counting on a buyout. That's what usually happens with most high-valued tech companies.

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
So? Amazon hardly has made any profit for 20 years.

The difference is Amazon could stop burning money if it wanted to do so on their moonshot type projects and nearly instantly be profitable. Not so much for Spotify.

Reactions: JoEw

pwgc

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2016
More to the point, they could have bought Spotify for $8bn when they bought Beats for $3bn. But I guess some stupid Swedish company isn't as cool as the dudes at Beats. Eddie got to hang our with his heroes.

esp718

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2016
USA
SoundCloud has always been a sleeper for its content, one of the last places for indie/underground content - might switch subscription back to Spotify if this happens

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
This would be awful. SoundCloud is a place for aspiring artists and the like to get their content out to those that aren't behind a paywall and taking this away from them by purchasing their outlet would be disastrous. Plus I use SoundCloud and Apple Music in conjunction and if all that other music disappeared I would be sad.
How would this be awful if we don't know the full scope of the deal and future plans from Spotify with what they would do this this new "project". Stop being so pessimistic and selfish. Not everyone has the same listening habits as you. Wait until this is official and it starts sucking before you start crying.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
They paid 3bn for Beats Music's label contracts, Jimmy Iovine's contacts within the industry, and Dr. Dre's name.

Reactions: Borin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.