Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Spotify on Monday began offering all premium Family plan subscribers in the U.K. a free Google Home Mini smart speaker.

spotify-free-google-home-mini-family-plan-uk-800x468.jpg

From today, both new and existing family plan subscribers can claim their free Google speaker, worth £49, simply by heading to the Spotify website. The offer ends on 14 May 2019.

Spotify's premium family plan costs £14.99 per month and allows up to six people to access the service using a personal account for each family member.
[*]Apple Music vs. Spotify
With that in mind, it's worth noting that the free speaker offer can only be claimed by the master account holder. However the device's built-in Google Assistant can recognize up to six different voices in the home, which means each person in the family can stream Spotify tracks from their own accounts.

Update: This offer is no longer available and Google is no longer offering free Google Home Mini speakers to UK family plan subscribers.

Article Link: Spotify Offering UK Family Plan Subscribers a Free Google Home Mini Speaker

Reactions: 19callum93

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
If the smallest family consists of 2 members... can the speaker be sawed in 2 pieces? Small sound, double scam (to the artists).

Michvuee

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2019
Wow Spotify learned from the last free google home mini promo making it only redeemable to master account holder. Last time they did it last year I managed to buy 8 codes for like $24 to get 8 google home minis easily and they sell for like $20 each.

Suspended
Aug 29, 2015
Wow Spotify learned from the last free google home mini promo making it only redeemable to master account holder. Last time they did it last year I managed to buy 8 codes for like $24 to get 8 google home minis easily and they sell for like $20 each.

Honestly, nothing to be proud of.
But good to know

rom3o

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2014
Why do they promote a product from one of their competitors in the streaming business?

Btw: Never knew that the Google Assistant is able to differentiate between multiple voices and can connect those to different accounts/profiles. That’s pretty awesome (from a technical viewpoint - privacy-wise probably not so much).

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Google home allows you To change the default music provider.

Hi google Play some music.

It will play Spotify content.

Voice match is a good feature. I.e ‘Hi google, find my phone’ and it will call you registered phone.

Why do they promote a product from one of their competitors in the streaming business?

Btw: Never knew that the Google Assistant is able to differentiate between multiple voices and can connect those to different accounts/profiles. That’s pretty awesome (from a technical viewpoint - privacy-wise probably not so much).

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
As a new subscriber, how long do you have to lock-in a subscription for, to be eligible for the speaker?

i.e. Are you locked into paying a year's plan at £14.99/mth? Or couldn't you just signup for 1-month and cancel the next, and still get the £50 speaker?

Would be a bit bizarre if the latter, surely...?

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
Spotify ran a similar promo in Dec 2018 which I took advantage of. the deal was, pay $1, get 2 months family plan Spotify and a free Google Home mini speaker.

You could cancel Spotify any time after receiving the code for the free Google Home mini (immediately). So it was like buying the speaker for $1. No returns. No catch (outside of taking time to cancel Spotify if you don’t want it).

Google’s speaker may lack some tricks Alexa owners might be proud of, but it’s lightyears better than Siri and does enough of what we need it to do.

We actually kept Spotify and use it a lot.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
And people wonder why Apple isn’t trying to compete directly with Amazon Alexa and Google Home.

Everyone I know and their mom has a Google Home mini that they got at a raffle or with their purchase of potatoes at the local supermarket.

Apple isn’t in the business of competing with Free. HomePod doesn’t have to compromise on sound quality just so it can try to price match the others. Apple can continue to focus on excellence in sound and design.

Putting Apple Music on Amazon Echos (and likely soon Google Home) isn’t conceding the smart speaker space. It’s about reaching the widest possible audience with Apple Music, in fact not conceding the smart speaker space to Spotify. Inevitably those Apple Music customers will want better sound and a native Apple experience and will upgrade to a HomePod.

Reactions: LinusR

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
And people wonder why Apple isn’t trying to compete directly with Amazon Alexa and Google Home.

Putting Apple Music on Amazon Echos (and likely soon Google Home) isn’t conceding the smart speaker space. It’s about reaching the widest possible audience with Apple Music, in fact not conceding the smart speaker space to Spotify. Inevitably those Apple Music customers will want better sound and a native Apple experience and will upgrade to a HomePod.

Siri’s feature set is far behind both Alexa and Google Assistant. It’s not just about hardware quality and cost. They have to improve Siri before even making a claim that they are directly competing. For now, HomePod is just a really good speaker that happens to have Siri and work seamlessly with Apple devices. The potential for what a “smart” Siri could add to the HomePod is a promise we haven’t seen any indication of coming yet.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Siri’s feature set is far behind both Alexa and Google Assistant. It’s not just about hardware quality and cost. They have to improve Siri before even making a claim that they are directly competing. For now, HomePod is just a really good speaker that happens to have Siri and work seamlessly with Apple devices. The potential for what a “smart” Siri could add to the HomePod is a promise we haven’t seen any indication of coming yet.

I really don’t know how so many people keep missing this: Apple has already set the groundwork for HomePod to beat Alexa Skills. Siri Shortcuts have been expanding HomePod’s capabilities with already hundreds thousands* of “skills” in the months since it came out.

Things that weren’t possible at launch are now a part of HomePod owners’ routine and Apple didn’t have to program those skills in. All it takes is for developers of existing apps to flip a switch in X Code to enable Shortcuts. I emphasized existing because unlike Alexa skills that have to be programmed specifically for Alexa, apps that can be accessed by HomePod already exist in the World’s biggest App Store. All it takes is developers to turn them on. So it’s not a matter of if HomePod will match and beat Alexa’s skills, but when. And that when is getting here way faster than even I thought.

I frequently order my favourite takeout, start a mediation session, ask Siri to add tasks to my Things to do list, log a glass of water or food in Waterminder and myfitnesspal apps, enter a voice clip in my Day One journal, get the weather from third party apps like Dark Sky, check off habits in Streaks, play Pandora or Tunein radio, and even get the news from Google News, all on my HomePod. None of this was possible when I bought my HomePod less than a year ago.

There’s no other explanation that you and many other critics keep missing all of this other than that you don’t own a HomePod and are speaking from a misinformed standpoint. You have quite a bit of catching up to do.

As for intelligence, Siri passed Alexa months ago. https://venturebeat.com/2018/07/25/google-assistant-wins-ai-iq-test-siri-beats-alexa-and-cortana/

Keep in mind that Amazon Echo with Alexa has been out for 5 years. HomePod just passed the 1 year mark and Siri Shortcuts has only been out for 6 months.

*I had to update this number because even I wasn’t caught up to the latest numbers. There are now thousands, not hundreds of apps compatible with Siri Shortcuts and by extension HomePod.
https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/28/siri-new-shortcuts/

Last edited:

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
I really don’t know how so many people keep missing this: Apple has already set the groundwork for HomePod to beat Alexa Skills. Siri Shortcuts have been expanding HomePod’s capabilities with already hundreds thousands* of “skills” in the year since it came out...

People don’t want to have to create shortcuts to make Siri useful. The Google Assistant provides much better responses to just any general question while Siri tends to either not understand, offer any options for whatever reason, or provides a set of links that Google has provided based on the search. Google will read off the top hit and you can skim through responses with voice commands while Siri requires opening an app.

My wife jokes all the time “hey Siri play Supernatural on Bedroom TV.” And it doesn’t talk to our Apple TV because Siri can’t do that. So we have to get our the remote. We tell Google to do the same thing and it works with our Chromecast.

That’s just some examples. I don’t share your optimism for Siri or it’s shortcuts (that have bee around a while now). The HomePod is a great speaker with an OK assistant. It’s currently not targeting the Google Home and Alexa market, but it could be in that category if Siri was greatly improved.

In my experience, I’m not numbing into those “1000s” of “skills.” I’m hitting road blocks. Siri does what I need it to do and that’s well enough for now.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
People don’t want to have to create shortcuts to make Siri useful. The Google Assistant provides much better responses to just any general question while Siri tends to either not understand, offer any options for whatever reason, or provides a set of links that Google has provided based on the search. Google will read off the top hit and you can skim through responses with voice commands while Siri requires opening an app.

My wife jokes all the time “hey Siri play Supernatural on Bedroom TV.” And it doesn’t talk to our Apple TV because Siri can’t do that. So we have to get our the remote. We tell Google to do the same thing and it works with our Chromecast.

That’s just some examples. I don’t share your optimism for Siri or it’s shortcuts (that have bee around a while now). The HomePod is a great speaker with an OK assistant. It’s currently not targeting the Google Home and Alexa market, but it could be in that category if Siri was greatly improved.

In my experience, I’m not numbing into those “1000s” of “skills.” I’m hitting road blocks. Siri does what I need it to do and that’s well enough for now.
The shortcuts are not straight forward for the average user and many of them don’t even work on the HomePod. Siri will just say it can’t do that or there was a problem with the app. I agree people want something straight forward like an Alexa skill or just to be able to tell the google assistant to do it and got it to be done.

My google home can even turn on my TV when it’s off, switch to the right input and then start playing a TV show on my chromecast or I can get it to do a YouTube search and then have it play whichever video I want.
[doublepost=1553424492][/doublepost]
I really don’t know how so many people keep missing this: Apple has already set the groundwork for HomePod to beat Alexa Skills. Siri Shortcuts have been expanding HomePod’s capabilities with already hundreds thousands* of “skills” in the months since it came out.

Things that weren’t possible at launch are now a part of HomePod owners’ routine and Apple didn’t have to program those skills in. All it takes is for developers of existing apps to flip a switch in X Code to enable Shortcuts. I emphasized existing because unlike Alexa skills that have to be programmed specifically for Alexa, apps that can be accessed by HomePod already exist in the World’s biggest App Store. All it takes is developers to turn them on. So it’s not a matter of if HomePod will match and beat Alexa’s skills, but when. And that when is getting here way faster than even I thought.

I frequently order my favourite takeout, start a mediation session, ask Siri to add tasks to my Things to do list, log a glass of water or food in Waterminder and myfitnesspal apps, enter a voice clip in my Day One journal, get the weather from third party apps like Dark Sky, check off habits in Streaks, play Pandora or Tunein radio, and even get the news from Google News, all on my HomePod. None of this was possible when I bought my HomePod less than a year ago.

There’s no other explanation that you and many other critics keep missing all of this other than that you don’t own a HomePod and are speaking from a misinformed standpoint. You have quite a bit of catching up to do.

As for intelligence, Siri passed Alexa months ago. https://venturebeat.com/2018/07/25/google-assistant-wins-ai-iq-test-siri-beats-alexa-and-cortana/

Keep in mind that Amazon Echo with Alexa has been out for 5 years. HomePod just passed the 1 year mark and Siri Shortcuts has only been out for 6 months.

*I had to update this number because even I wasn’t caught up to the latest numbers. There are now thousands, not hundreds of apps compatible with Siri Shortcuts and by extension HomePod.
https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/28/siri-new-shortcuts/
That’s one study. In my experience and I own all 3 (HomePod, google home, Alexa) the HomePod is the least intelligent. I have my HomePod pair because of the sound quality and because it can do simple tasks like adding events to my calendar, setting a reminder or making a call or sending a text. However my echos and google home devices are far more capable.

The shortcuts are complicated and quite often don’t work with the HomePod. Even the few that do work I have to keep setting them up again as after a while the HomePod stops doing them.

Reactions: poppy10

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
People don’t want to have to create shortcuts to make Siri useful. .

You do not have to create shortcuts. They’re already built for you in the app they’re for. Exactly like Alexa Skills.

You don’t even have to have the Shortcuts app installed. That’s for tinkerers who want to create their own. Thousands of apps have pre-built Shortcuts. I use them every day on HomePod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.