Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

spotify-scrubbing-250x445.jpg
Spotify has quietly added the ability for users to adjust the playback position of the currently playing track directly from the iOS lock screen.

The option to adjust the progress of a playing track - also known as audio scrubbing - from the lock screen has been a feature of Apple's native Music app for some time, but the ability has been missing from Spotify until very recently, as noted by Reddit user kermitch.

The API that enabled third-party app developers to add audio scrubbing to the lock screen was introduced in iOS 9.1+, but it looks as if Spotify only got around to including it with the most recent update to the app on July 4.

It's worth noting that only Spotify Premium subscribers can scrub tracks, so users on the Free ad-supported tier won't see any change to their lock screen when playing tracks via the app.

Article Link: Spotify Premium Users Can Now Adjust Track Playback Position From the iOS Lock Screen

Reactions: jeffirl

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Now if Spotify could make their app stable when connecting to their BMW connected app...love having to unplug/close app/restart/stand on one foot to get it to connect for more than 5 minutes at a time...

I'm sure with this release it'll be even worse...

TVGenius

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
Yuma, AZ
Every time I see a post like this, I'm amazed at the basic features that Spotify or Pandora have lacked all along that Slacker has had essentially from day one.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Every time I see a post like this, I'm amazed at the basic features that Spotify or Pandora have lacked all along that Slacker has had essentially from day one.

And yet, I happily continue to choose to give Spotify my money each month. Some things just matter more than the ability to skip ahead in a track.

Reactions: SoN1NjA

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
They just now got this...?

And people here love to claim Spotify is better than AM. They didn't even have a basic feature until now.

Yes, in all of the comparison charts, this one's always highlighted in red with a bold font. A big, big deal.

Duel

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
I don't have premium Spotify and i can't understand why you need to open that big Window to change palyback position from the app with iPad. If i would have premium could i just change playback position without going big window where is album art.

I mean this line here, am i missing something or would premium work from here without pressing that arrow.

IMG_0035.jpg

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
I thought that this was a limit with iOS until I realised that I could scrub with Overcast.
Same, I thought Apple didn’t allow the scrubber for 3rd party apps, but Google Play Music had it so I wondered why Spotify hadn’t implemented it yet

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
The most basic feature Spotify doesn't have on iPhone is songs being grouped into albums under the artist view in your library. Nope instead you get one long list of the artist's songs.

WTF Spotify, really!

Reactions: zooby and Wide opeN

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
Y
The most basic feature Spotify doesn't have on iPhone is songs being grouped into albums under the artist view in your library. Nope instead you get one long list of the artist's songs.

WTF Spotify, really!

Do you mean the sort button? Custom, artist, titel or recently added. It's there sometimes.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Y

Do you mean the sort button? Custom, artist, titel or recently added. It's there sometimes.
No I mean
Your Library > Artists > pick an artist who you have say 5 albums saved > all songs are one big list

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.