Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Original thread title: "SSD Not Recognized in iMac G5"

Hello,
I just replaced my internal HDD in my iMac G5 to an SSD, but now, it does not recognize it in Disk Utility when I boot from my Tiger disc. I had no problems with my HDD and I do not think I broke anything when installing the SSD. I was wondering if someone might have a suggestion? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
@Amethyst1 It is a Lexar NS100 256GB 2.5” SATA III SSD. According to an answered Amazon question, it works with SATA I. Please see below.
Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 3.02.34 PM.png

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
That not-very-helpful answer just says all SATA III drives can step down — yet some SATA III SSDs just don’t work properly in SATA I systems, and G5s seem to be even pickier. I’d suggest trying another SSD (assuming yours works in another machine, i.e. is not faulty).

Last edited:

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Oh, I see, thank you for clearing that up. Do you think you might have a suggestion for one that would work that is reasonably priced?
Thanks

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Do you think you might have a suggestion for one that would work that is reasonably priced?
I know that the Intel X25-M and 320 work (I put them in a friend’s G5) but these are very old so you’ll have to “hunt” for them.
Hopefully others will chime in with suggestions for readily available and cooperative SSDs.

I know that the Intel X25-M and 320 work (I put them in a friend’s G5) but these are very old so you’ll have to “hunt” for them.
Hopefully others will chime in with suggestions for readily available and cooperative SSDs.

I recommend a two-part solution of a 2.5-inch-to-m.2-SATA adapter and getting a common and affordable m.2 SSD such as a WD Blue series of whichever capacity you need. These seem to co-operate well with SATA I buses and the WD Blue series are very reliable. WD Blue SATA m.2-to-2.5" adapter is one of the solutions I’ve been using with my older Macs for the past couple of years (Dogfish m.2 SATA SSDs being the other).

G5s as well?

I’ve tested a Dogfish m.2 SSD in my mid–2004 G5. Unlike an earlier 2.5-inch SATA III Patriot Pyro (2011 vintage) which refused to play nice when trying to boot from it, I didn’t run into boot issues with the 2.5-inch adapter. I don’t know if this combo working is a function of the adapter I used, the m.2, or the pair, in tandem.

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Hello,
Thank you to all for your suggestions, I really appreciate it. Hearing that some SSDs work and not others, I tried a PNY SSD I had around to see if it would work, which it did! That is interesting how some work and some don't.

Reactions: Amethyst1

FerociousPPC

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2022
PNY CS900
SATA III 2.5"
240GB

Mac 2.3Ghz Dual core G5 (11,2)
4GB Ram

Leopard (bottom tray) see SSD in top tray. Used CCC to install Sorbet Leopard 🐆. Disconnected Leopard HDD and SSD won't boot. Moved SSD to bottom tray and now boots. Noticed SSD boots in 36sec while old HDD boots in 43sec. 🤔 Seems to be working well. 👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.