Stained display - any way to clean?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lk400, Mar 27, 2017.

1. lk400 macrumors 6502a

Has anyone else experienced staining of the display on a SS Apple Watch? Mine is a launch day first generation, so over 2 years old. I'm fairy confident the staining is from water (probably when I wash my hands), as the same stains are on my shower mirror.

It won't wash off, and is getting worse.

[​IMG]

2. Relentless Power, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

How long have the water stains been like this? Otherwise, it could be more significant issues with the display/oleophobic coating.

3. moxxham macrumors 6502

moxxham

Don't know if it's just the lighting, but along the bottom curve of the glass, it looks like the oleophobic coating is coming off

4. lk400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looking at the watch now, it may be that the coating is gone from the main face, and only remains on the edge close to the stainless steel. I had assumed that those marks, too, were water-related as they collect most water when I wash my hands. I live in Tokyo and I don't know if it is additives or minerals in the water, however I notice damages glass / leaves stains (e.g. on mirrors). I had assumed it was this, but maybe its just general wear and tear killing the coating, given the watch getting on a bit.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2017 ---
    I noticed the marks on the edge a few months back, but they are getting worse. The marks on top appeared around the same time, however I can usually clean those off with a microfibre cloth. I need to apply a lot of pressure to do that, though. The marks on the edge never go away.

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

In my opinion, I don't think there's much you're going be able to do or fully remove all of those marks. It's likely what you said, eventual wear and tear from the possible consistent water exposure you have subjected the watch too. I do believe hard water can be an enemy against the Apple Watch, perhaps from the minerals and deposits that are inside the water.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If hard water marks and damp cloth with vinegar should remove the spots. The coating on the face is likely gone at this point so it can not hurt to try.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If vinegar won't completely remove the spots then try isopropyl alcohol. Since it is launch day watch your oleophobic coating is gone or mostly gone. So it may be hard water spots left in the remains of the oleophobic coating and take vinegar and isopropyl alcohol (not at the same time) to remove.

8. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

9. lk400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you all for the ideas. I will try both. I've been reluctant to try alcohol as I know it will strip the coatings. However given they're most likely gone anyway, I'm willing to try.

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Curious to know if removed the spots or not. Let us know.