Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
How long have the water stains been like this? Otherwise, it could be more significant issues with the display/oleophobic coating.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I noticed the marks on the edge a few months back, but they are getting worse. The marks on top appeared around the same time, however I can usually clean those off with a microfibre cloth. I need to apply a lot of pressure to do that, though. The marks on the edge never go away.

In my opinion, I don't think there's much you're going be able to do or fully remove all of those marks. It's likely what you said, eventual wear and tear from the possible consistent water exposure you have subjected the watch too. I do believe hard water can be an enemy against the Apple Watch, perhaps from the minerals and deposits that are inside the water.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
If hard water marks and damp cloth with vinegar should remove the spots. The coating on the face is likely gone at this point so it can not hurt to try.
If vinegar won't completely remove the spots then try isopropyl alcohol. Since it is launch day watch your oleophobic coating is gone or mostly gone. So it may be hard water spots left in the remains of the oleophobic coating and take vinegar and isopropyl alcohol (not at the same time) to remove.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Thank you all for the ideas. I will try both. I've been reluctant to try alcohol as I know it will strip the coatings. However given they're most likely gone anyway, I'm willing to try.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Thank you all for the ideas. I will try both. I've been reluctant to try alcohol as I know it will strip the coatings. However given they're most likely gone anyway, I'm willing to try.

Curious to know if removed the spots or not. Let us know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.