Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Valleywag reports that The Wall Street Journal's online executive editor Alan Murray posted to his Twitter account last Thursday, claiming that that he had done so from an iPad. The tweet was quickly deleted, however, and it appears that it had been posted during a meeting with Apple CEO Steve Jobs, part of Jobs' recent trip to New York to show off the gadget to publishing executives in a bid to bring their content to the tablet device.

According to Valleywag, Murray deleted the tweet in response to a "furious" Steve Jobs, who was no doubt displeased at the disclosure.
A tipster told us the deletion ultimately traces back to a furious Jobs. We asked Murray for comment, and he wrote back "I would love to talk about this, but can't." In a later email, he added:

"I will say that Apple's general paranoia about news coverage is truly extraordinary- but that's not telling you anything you didn't already know."
Apple's obsession with secrecy is well-known, and while a simple, two-sentence tweet from a newspaper executive claiming to have access to the already-announced device may seem trivial, Jobs' desire to control the flow of information about its products and plans clearly continues to extends to all facets of Apple's activities.

Article Link: Steve Jobs Reportedly Demands Deletion of Tweet Sent From iPad

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

This comment was sent from my iPad.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Apple needs a new CEO. One that does not suffer from paranoia and who is not acting like he was still in the 1980s when the Internet and open communication flow where still stuff for science fiction movies.

It's 2010, Steve. Your version of 1984 does not belong here.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Apple needs a new CEO. One that does not suffer from paranoia and who is not acting like he was still in the 1980s when the Internet and open communication flow where still stuff for science fiction movies.

It's 2010, Steve. Your version of 1984 does not belong here.
The need to maintain secrecy is greater than ever. Do you see how quickly Chinese companies churn out rip offs of new iPod designs?

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
I don't see a problem with a tweet. You would think seeing a tweet from an iPad would excite people.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
As far as I know, the iPad still doesn't have FCC approval. What are the consequences of wirelessly posting something from a device that's not legal to post from?

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
No shocker, really ....

My ex-wife claimed to practice Buddhism too -- but that didn't stop her from deciding it was ok to forge my signature on the vehicle title and sell it, while I was under the impression she was still driving it around someplace (while the divorce case was underway). Nor did it stop her from ordering credit cards using my social security #, having them mailed to a P.O. box I wasn't aware of, and charging them all up.....

A few people I remember from back in college who were always tripping acid? Well, not much positive to say about their lives at this point in time either.

I love most of Apple's products, but that doesn't mean I have to like Steve Jobs as an individual. Practically every time someone covers a "personal anecdote" about the guy, it's pretty negative and reflects poorly on his character. He's an excellent public speaker, when his mission is to regurgitate some information prepared in advance. But outside of his public appearances in that capacity? I think he'd serve Apple the best to avoid public contact....

This from a guy who practices buddhism and said tripping acid changed his life.

DanielJvdBerg

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2008
The Netherlands.
I think it's pretty reasonable that he got mad at him. When you are being showed a device that is not on the market yet, see it as a little honour because no one can. It's pretty rude to just go on the device, and shout about it on twitter. I think something like that should be handled discrete and thankful. So, I give Steve absolutely right. I'd do the same.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Yelling at an online executive editor when you're trying to sell him and his friends on your device, is pretty lame.

Not a smart way to negotiate with hard nosed New Yorkers, who must already see Jobs, with his Valley Girlish "awesome" statements, as a full-of-himself West Coast flake to begin with.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Wow, he needs to calm down, it's already been announced! It's not like this is pre-announcement. Everyone knows about the iPad, we're just patiently waiting now.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Well Gosh, were you told not to do it???

My guess is by Mr. Jobs himself and you turn around a few minutes later and do it I would be pissed too.

What, are these people stupid? Do they need a hearing test?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Do tweets contain any metadata that could be used to find out more info about the device sending them? I know that certain apps keep track of things like that through ad agencies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.