Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmtm2

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2009
Keep hear a lot about how slow mountain lion is thinking about staying with snow leopard till apple fixes this problem what do you guys think

Nov 28, 2010
located
What Mac with what specs do you have?
I ran ML on a 2007 iMac with 2 GHz and 4 GB RAM. It was okay, but I downgraded to Snow Leopard again due to missing features.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Keep hear a lot about how slow mountain lion is thinking about staying with snow leopard till apple fixes this problem what do you guys think

I would upgrade without a doubt. Just clone your current setup to another drive, then download and install ML. If it really is that slow, then it should be an easy fix to bring it back to SL. For $20, I think it's well worth it.

What machine are you using?

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I have a 2012 MBA that I just upgraded to ML because it was free. I don't see enough value in it so far that I would be willing to pay even $20 to upgrade my 2008 iMac from SL to ML. For example, I have yet to find a website or service that uses Notifications.

Two Apple reps told me that the MBA ML upgrade could be applied to my iMac, too. When I tried to do that, it wouldn't work, so I checked again, and another rep told me I'd have to buy it for my iMac. No, thanks. I don't see enough value over SL.

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
You should wait a few weeks to see if the issue gets fixed and then install. For the price it is worth it. And if you back up you can easily go back to SL.

DrakkenWar

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
San Antonio,Texas
Agreed, give the release some time for the bugs to be ferreted out

I agree with some here. The early adopters usually end up being the "guinney pigs" of the populace to find the bugs that the beta testers did not. Unless you really have a reason to upgrade? I would hold off a while, I would say three to six months give or take. I still use leopard on my PB, not because it's the last supported os, it also runs really well, has the features I need and the interface I am used. I have Lion here on my 2011 mini. It's not bad, honestly it's not that good either. There were a lot of UI changes and what not that I am still really not used to. Lossing Spaces SUCKED BTW!!! Mission Control blows in my book. A sod awful waste of time. Apple tried to condense too many features into one application. To me? It's crowded, ugly and for me a PIA.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Unless there are any must have features for you in ML or some program update or new software you want that requires Lion or better there is no real reason to update. Since you didn't do Lion I'd say you aren't concerned about the latest OS.

Otherwise since 10.4 Mac OS X has been getting more bloated and slower. So there will be some impact in performance. Although if you do a fresh install of OS and apps then manually transfer data that will be offset by a clean install for awhile.

With 10.3 and before each update was getting more streamlined to convince people to switch from OS 9. As 10.0 and 10.1 were slow.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't upgrade just for the sake of upgrading. I only upgrade if a newer version of Mac OS X offers something I want or need that my current version doesn't provide, or if I buy a new Mac that comes with a later version. So far, I haven't seen anything in Lion or ML that I want or need, so I'm sticking with Snow Leopard for now.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I think you should sell your current Mac and buy a faster one. Then you wouldn't have to worry about speed.

If you are upgrading you are already hopelessly behind :D

More seriously, it depends on what you do. Since you haven't said, I wouldn't take any advice you receive here. You could end up with software that doesn't even work, or software that runs twice as fast as what you have now. NO WAY anyone knows here.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I don't upgrade just for the sake of upgrading. I only upgrade if a newer version of Mac OS X offers something I want or need that my current version doesn't provide, or if I buy a new Mac that comes with a later version. So far, I haven't seen anything in Lion or ML that I want or need, so I'm sticking with Snow Leopard for now.

This.

But I've upgraded due to a few features I enjoy and I've had no problems with slowness... but I'm on a mid-2012 Air.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I upgraded my 2008 Macbook air from snow leopard today, in the little bit of use I've gotten since upgrading it actually seems faster, but that's probably because I did a clean install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.