Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
I do. I am alway drinking something, while doing things on my Mac. When I am finished taking that sip, I put the drink down somewhere where it could not possibly spill on my Mac.

I'm shocked that I get on this forum, and almost every day there are 1 or 2 threads on spilling in/on Macs.

Guys, it's simple. Keep the drink away from the Mac. Of course there're the freak accidents and kids will be kids, but it's happening so much now.

The answer to all of those threads should be, "get it fixed and keeps drinks away next time". Maybe someone can make a sticky "Spilled blank on Mac" thread.

C'mon folks, you wouldn't go swimming in a lake with a 3 thousand dollar ring on.

Please, just simply keep the drinks away. That fixes the next ten threads without them having to be posted.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just get a laptop stand that will protect the laptop from accidental spills.

EdbBob

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2008
@BoneDaddy

As an old school computer nerd, my computers have always been fitted with a Coca Cola tap, more recently I switched to strong coffee.

Computers simply work better when you insert a lot of caffeine into your brain while using them.

That gives the occasional spillage of liquid in the keyboard, but it's mostly a problem with laptops. On a desktop, you just quickly disconnect the keyboard, wash it thoroughly and dry it in a warm place (on top of a heater). I've done that several times... :rolleyes:

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
Yes, but does it actually affect you? No, no it doesn't.

I suggest if the thread's bother you that much, you don't read them

Why would the threads bother me? You are assuming they do. I'm fully aware none of it effects me.

The thing that boggles my mind is that so many people are having spills on their Macs. Otherwise, it's all in good fun. I am bothered by nothing.

----------

@BoneDaddy

As an old school computer nerd, my computers have always been fitted with a Coca Cola tap, more recently I switched to strong coffee.

Computers simply work better when you insert a lot of caffeine into your brain while using them.

That gives the occasional spillage of liquid in the keyboard, but it's mostly a problem with laptops. On a desktop, you just quickly disconnect the keyboard, wash it thoroughly and dry it in a warm place (on top of a heater). I've done that several times... :rolleyes:

Hahaha, I gotta try to make some music with a bunch of caffeine. Yea, I usually hook up my Mac to an external monitor and put it out of reach. I primarily use it as a laptop, when I need to be mobile.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I agree. I'm astonished by how many people spill drinks on their laptop. I never keep any drink close to my laptop, and like you, when I do drink, I automatically put it on a surface that is nowhere near my laptop, so in case it does spill, it won't damage my rMBP. People need to me more responsible when it comes to taking care of their expensive machine.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
For like a decade I've been eating and drinking near my computer, not once I've had a problem.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I always have my coffee cup sitting about 3 inches from my Mac, but it's never a problem because I follow one simple principle: Why waste perfectly good coffee by pouring it onto my Mac, when I could drink it? :D ☕️

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Famous last words... ;)

to this as well:

I always have my coffee cup sitting about 3 inches from my Mac, but it's never a problem because I follow one simple principle: Why waste perfectly good coffee by pouring it onto my Mac, when I could drink it? :D ☕️

I had a coffee spill on my desk about 3 months ago (although luckily it only touched the mouse and stand of my iMac). It'll happen to you eventually.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
C'mon folks, you wouldn't go swimming in a lake with a 3 thousand dollar ring on.
So instead I leave it on the beach, where it can get stolen?

I will not stop eating and drinking around my mac. Accidents happen. Do you never work in Coffee Shops, or on Airplanes? Do you not bring your laptop to parties (for music, karaoke, playing videos..)? Do you always use a waterproof laptop bag? I will not restrict myself just because there is a small chance that an accident will happen.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
There's no way I could have an open top cup of juice/tea/coffee in killing distance of my $2000 computer. From personal experience, being careful =/= immune from accidents. Especially when it's not that hard to just place the cup a foot or two away from the laptop.

People laugh at me about my "no drinks, closed or otherwise within two feet of my $2000 rMBP" rule until they spill it 5 minutes later, or worse, they spill juice on their own laptop. No one laughs now.

Roadking714

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2014
For years I never had anything on my desktop area and last week I spilled milk on my apple wireless keyboard hopefully it will come back to life but never again smh

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
So instead I leave it on the beach, where it can get stolen?

I will not stop eating and drinking around my mac. Accidents happen. Do you never work in Coffee Shops, or on Airplanes? Do you not bring your laptop to parties (for music, karaoke, playing videos..)? Do you always use a waterproof laptop bag? I will not restrict myself just because there is a small chance that an accident will happen.

I couldn't care less about what you do(It's your money and your mac) but I really don't see how it's restricting yourself. I go to coffee shops fairly often and have used my rMBP on an airplane, and go over to friends' house for parties all the time. I just take measures such as placing my drink behind or a foot away from the laptop on the table, or waiting to finish eating and drink before taking out the laptop. Of course, on an airplane, my "15 rMBP is as big as the desk anyway. :D:D:D

I use a Waterfield Staad Backpack, which is made of ballistic nylon, with a large flap over the top instead of zipper. The large flap means it can rain all day without water touching the inside. I did it once when I got caught in the rain last December.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
not sure how relevant this is to usa mac friends

u.k. most of which will have home contents insurance

I got my mcbpro late 2011 replaced with this existing late 2013 matched with 8 gig ram (512g ssd)

(after I was asked to pay for another logic board -which was replaced a few months earlier) via apple store

luckily I had 'added' the details of my 2011 mcbpro to my contents insurance hence the only cost was the 'excess' and a few weeks for the new 2013 mcb

what i'm seeing in forums before and after my experience is what I was told via apple store (after paying nearly £400 for a logic board) -is 'liquid damage' -a term used by Apple stores -I do NOT believe this was reason for a white screen just after 90 day warranty -when my insurance company agreed to arrange a new for old replacement I sent all receipts and commented its Apple who should
be paying for a replacement not my insurance company!

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
What do you mean? I would like a stand...

Lots of people have a stand that they use their MacBook on, usually with an external mouse and keyboard and possibly an external display.

I have a Rain Design mStand which seems to be quite a popular choice.

I haven't ever spilled anything on my desk, but I do always look when I'm having a drink at my computer to make sure I don't do anything stupid. At least if I ever did spill it, hopefully the stand would minimise the damage.

SgtPepper23

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Los Angeles, California
my general rule for drinking around my laptop: however tall the container is, i place it a further 3 inches (approximated) away from the laptop. that way if for whatever reason i spill, i have enough time to stem the flow, or pick up my laptop! sometimes we need our drinks around us, especially caffeine for students, like myself!

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I spilt a beer down the screen and onto my logic board while preparing a professional talk on my MBA. Dried it using a hotel hair drier and am still using it today. I say drink up and roll the dice. Don't let your fears mess with your hydration station.

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Keyboard protectors do a good job of keeping liquid from getting in through the keyboard.

I heard they "create" heat issues under heavy loads... is that accurate or false? Because I'm seriously planning on getting one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.