Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petewentz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
i'm thinking of getting the rMBP 13" and i was wondering if it seems like just the flat out base model will be enough for me? pretty much the cheapest cheap. I will just be using it for twitter tumblr and maybe some light sims 4 gameplay. i'm planning on this for lasting me a while so how long do you think it will last with the low specs? and can i just use an external stroage if i need, if so what would you recommend?

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
i'm thinking of getting the rMBP 13" and i was wondering if it seems like just the flat out base model will be enough for me? pretty much the cheapest cheap. I will just be using it for twitter tumblr and maybe some light sims 4 gameplay. i'm planning on this for lasting me a while so how long do you think it will last with the low specs? and can i just use an external stroage if i need, if so what would you recommend?

iPad for what you're doing?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have the base model and it suits me just fine. The only issue is if you can live with the storage capacity. Not an issue for me.

Figure with the 128GB flash drive, after the OS and apps are installed you will have around 100GB left for personal data. If you can live within that, you are all set.

Reactions: petewentz

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
i'm thinking of getting the rMBP 13" and i was wondering if it seems like just the flat out base model will be enough for me?

It depends on how much space you need. I went with the 512GB model.

i'm planning on this for lasting me a while so how long do you think it will last with the low specs?

Again, this is all up to you. If you need more space now or in the future, the 128GB model may not be enough.

petewentz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
It depends on how much space you need. I went with the 512GB model.

Again, this is all up to you. If you need more space now or in the future, the 128GB model may not be enough.
that's why i am asking. This answer doesn't help me at all haha.

petewentz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
I have the base model and it suits me just fine. The only issue is if you can live with the storage capacity. Not an issue for me.

Figure with the 128GB flash drive, after the OS and apps are installed you will have around 100GB left for personal data. If you can live within that, you are all set.
thank you for the help!

petewentz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Lowest price models will do you just fine although I'd opt for 256GB as a minimum. 128GB is just downright stingy and not very practical.
i'm thinking about that! but the problem is i'm trying to get it before the end of this month because i'm going out of the country and i'm not sure i'll have enough money to get the 256gb by then but if i do I definitely will

petewentz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Nobody here knows how much storage YOU need. That's something that only YOU would know.
not really. if i state what i would need to use i feel like someone would be able to give me a rough estimate. i have no clue how much storage i'll need since I have never owned a laptop.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
Careful with the 128 GB version.

Your photos alone can easily run into the 20s of gigs. Music likewise. Then there's your mail; if you use GMail but read locally using Mail.app, it will download your complete mail. There's no way to just let the messages be stored only on the google servers. With multiple accounts, that can run into the 5-10 GB range.

Then there's iPads and iPhones. Backups are made, and these are usually in the 4 GB range. A number of them are kept on disk. It of course gets worse every time you get another model.

Apps nowadays are also in the gigabyte range. For example Pages alone is half a gig. And if you install something like Microsoft Office or Adobe software, don't be surprised when your Applications folder contains 15 gigs of apps.

Now there's all sorts of workarounds for the above, but you simply might want to avoid the above and just get a bigger SSD.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
Careful with the 128 GB version.

Your photos alone can easily run into the 20s of gigs. Music likewise. Then there's your mail; if you use GMail but read locally using Mail.app, it will download your complete mail. There's no way to just let the messages be stored only on the google servers. With multiple accounts, that can run into the 5-10 GB range.
That's kind of based of your own usage isn't it? I'd reckon most people don't have over 20 GB of pictures or have 5-10 GB worth of emails (and if you do, please clean your inboxes). I'd think that if he's doing light web browsing and playing Sims 4, 128 GB should be just enough I think.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
I'd think that if he's doing light web browsing and playing Sims
Very true. I'm listing a number of things I hadn't thought about when I bought my MBA with 128 GB. All these things added up. For example my ~/Library folder is 7 gigs. That's two years of accumulated cruft there. Now you could of course do some cleaning, and I have, but you might want to avoid the hassle.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
If you can, get the 256 GB to be really comfortable. If you can't - don't worry. 20 GB of music, 20G games, 20G movies, 20G documents'n'stuff, and you still have ~ 20 gigs left. Maybe get a cheap USB 3 HDD to store your movies and backups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.