Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gottafly

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2008
I was having difficulty similar to you all. First one set up without too much trouble. Second one (same room, setup as pair) would fail repeatedly.

Final attempt was successful by opening Home app during setup and observing status of each. First one downloaded an update, then 2nd one setup processed finished. If nothing more than to help you understand what each speaker is doing, the app seemed to help. YMMV.

Kinda disappointed as it’s probably the first apple product I’ve ever purchased that I had trouble setting up...just not up to par experience-wise.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Do a speed test where you are trying to set it up. If you’re getting slow WiFi speeds, try moving it closer to your router and see what happens. The HomePod needs really good WiFi. I have two so far and they both configured within 5 minutes, both within 10 feet of an eero pro router.

elkaboing

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
Chicago
I was having difficulty similar to you all. First one set up without too much trouble. Second one (same room, setup as pair) would fail repeatedly.

Final attempt was successful by opening Home app during setup and observing status of each. First one downloaded an update, then 2nd one setup processed finished. If nothing more than to help you understand what each speaker is doing, the app seemed to help. YMMV.

Kinda disappointed as it’s probably the first apple product I’ve ever purchased that I had trouble setting up...just not up to par experience-wise.

Where are you viewing the status? If I long-tap on the mini's icon, all it says is, "HomePod is being configured. Additional settings will be available shortly..."

Do a speed test where you are trying to set it up. If you’re getting slow WiFi speeds, try moving it closer to your router and see what happens. The HomePod needs really good WiFi. I have two so far and they both configured within 5 minutes, both within 10 feet of an eero pro router.

Good call - I moved mine around too. Current location is solid:

20-11-20 12-07-23 0008.png

Reactions: Itinj24

elkaboing

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
Chicago
iPhone Settings > Your Name. See list of devices. Select one you want to remove. Then Remove from account.
Thanks - just removed it and reset (again). Says it’s configuring; I’ll let it go overnight and see what happens. I’ll give Apple a call tomorrow if it’s still stuck.

MiamiC70

Suspended
Oct 16, 2011
Not this hard guys.

Make sure it is on same WiFi network as your phone when you begin and if not reset it start again.

elkaboing

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
Chicago
Yeah, it's definitely a network configuration issue. I reset one of my other 1st gen homepods to test the setup process and it's also stuck on configuring. I'm running OPNsense on an HP290 so I'm not surprised I have something blocking the setup process.

I disabled all my DNS rules and have the router handing-out 1.1.1.1 as the DNS server. Still gets stuck. Also created a separate DMZ network on one of the HP290's other NIC ports and connected an old router in AP mode with only the phone and HomePod connected; no dice. Even went as far as to bust out my GL iNET travel router connected to my phone's hotspot and it still will not configure with only the homepod and ipad connected to its wifi.

To get these setup, the phone or ipad needs to be connected to the same wifi network you want the homepod to connect to. Once the iphone/ipad says "Setup Complete" for the homepod, the rest of the process should continue on the homepod itself? The phone/ipad doesn't need to stay connected to the same wifi while it says configuring?

elkaboing

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
Chicago
Alright, finally got mine to configure and it only took a minute or two (I had previously connected it to a MacBook Air and updated it to 14.2). As others have mentioned, I have no idea which of the steps did the trick but I think signing out of iCloud and back in on the device you’re using to set it up is key.

Jessechu 333

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2020
Got mine Friday, finally got it to work Saturday and then somehow reset it self Sunday and it’s been difficult since then. Hard reset, nothing. Hotspot, nothing. Connected two both 2G and 5G internet (Spectrum) nothing. Gotten 3 different error codes. I have another HomePod working fine, our Apple TV’s working fine and MacBooks and iPhones working quick. I’m about to brake this ?

BMCoaster

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
Hi there I have also the problem, that I can not reset & restart the HomePod. Maybe anyone can hep me? Thank you for your help :)

Attachments

• IMG_0554.m4v
    4.8 MB · Views: 1
Reactions: Northeast Cold

elkaboing

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
Chicago
Hi there I have also the problem, that I can not reset & restart the HomePod. Maybe anyone can hep me? Thank you for your help :)
You’re unplugging for 10 seconds, plugging back in, waiting 5 seconds and then pressing on the top until it says it’s resetting? I’ve never had it not reset after turning red, and I probably reset it about 50 times when I was troubleshooting.

Jessechu 333

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2020
Got mine Friday, finally got it to work Saturday and then somehow reset it self Sunday and it’s been difficult since then. Hard reset, nothing. Hotspot, nothing. Connected two both 2G and 5G internet (Spectrum) nothing. Gotten 3 different error codes. I have another HomePod working fine, our Apple TV’s working fine and MacBooks and iPhones working quick. I’m about to brake this ?
Okay, so I used my phones hotspot and it passed the config but when I updated the WiFi, it comes in and out. It plays for seconds and goes out and comes back. When I ask Siri to play the radio, it says it’s having trouble connecting to the internet, even though it’s on the fastest one. The router is in the room beside also. I don’t know what to do now? also, my other HomePod (the big one) is working fine and quick.

Last edited:

Madchemic39

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2020
I hope you didn't get bad batch? :S

Madchemic39

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2020
Okay, so I used my phones hotspot and it passed the config but when I updated the WiFi, it comes in and out. It plays for seconds and goes out and comes back. When I ask Siri to play the radio, it says it’s having trouble connecting to the internet, even though it’s on the fastest one. The router is in the room beside also. I don’t know what to do now? also, my other HomePod (the big one) is working fine and quick.
Are you on the latest version of software? Did you update your router?

ShuBu

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
I had some similar issues with my Homepod Mini.
The Mini took about 30 minutes to update to 14.2. Then got stuck on configuring for 20-30 minutes.
I was able to ask Siri to play an iTunes playlist without a problem. However, Airplay did not work from any of my devices nor mac computers to the mini. After 2 plus hours on the phone with AppleCare, they agreed there was a problem and sent me another mini.
After receiving the 2nd Mini and trying to set it up, it did the same thing. Long time updating to 14.2 as well as configuring then, no Airplay. I should add - I tried air playing to the replacement Mini before updating to 14.2 and it didn't work. Oddly, Intercom worked fine as did Siri.
I worked unsuccessfully for a couple of hours trying to fix Airplay.. until I read this thread... and then voila! Success!!
I went into my iCloud settings - clicked on the current Mini - then backed out without removing the accessory. Noticed there was a 2nd mini in my device list (the first one that got returned) - I deleted that accessory. Then, before signing out of iCloud on my iPhone, I went to my iPad to check things out... and the mini suddenly started airplaying!! Went back to my iPhone and then that started working as well!
Handoff and airplay are all functioning normal now.
I have no idea what happened or why after going into my iCloud device list and clicking on the Mini it started air playing properly, but I'm grateful it did.

Jessechu 333

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2020
I had some similar issues with my Homepod Mini.
The Mini took about 30 minutes to update to 14.2. Then got stuck on configuring for 20-30 minutes.
I was able to ask Siri to play an iTunes playlist without a problem. However, Airplay did not work from any of my devices nor mac computers to the mini. After 2 plus hours on the phone with AppleCare, they agreed there was a problem and sent me another mini.
After receiving the 2nd Mini and trying to set it up, it did the same thing. Long time updating to 14.2 as well as configuring then, no Airplay. I should add - I tried air playing to the replacement Mini before updating to 14.2 and it didn't work. Oddly, Intercom worked fine as did Siri.
I worked unsuccessfully for a couple of hours trying to fix Airplay.. until I read this thread... and then voila! Success!!
I went into my iCloud settings - clicked on the current Mini - then backed out without removing the accessory. Noticed there was a 2nd mini in my device list (the first one that got returned) - I deleted that accessory. Then, before signing out of iCloud on my iPhone, I went to my iPad to check things out... and the mini suddenly started airplaying!! Went back to my iPhone and then that started working as well!
Handoff and airplay are all functioning normal now.
I have no idea what happened or why after going into my iCloud device list and clicking on the Mini it started air playing properly, but I'm grateful it did.
I have no idea why but I check my internet speed and I noticed it was slow. Like 20Mbps download and 19mbps upload slow. I have 400Mbps plan. Well, I chatted with Spectrum and yada yada yada and it was up to 78 DL and 23 UL and decided to try my Mini and bam... it’s working like it didn’t give me a hard time the past week.

raymo

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2009
I’m still stuck on configuring - tried everything suggested including actually waiting! Last reset on Sunday and still in configuring... anyone else in the same boat?

Madchemic39

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2020
I’m still stuck on configuring - tried everything suggested including actually waiting! Last reset on Sunday and still in configuring... anyone else in the same boat?
After all my minis was giving me some issues I did the following.
I have removed devices in my I Cloud. Signed everyone out of I Cloud. Unplugged the Minis.Signed back in in ICloud. Did hard reset on every Mini and check that they are showing OK in my devices in ICloud.
Enabled Intercom and Personal Requests. Signed another persons in Icloud on their devices. Invited them into Home app.
Voila. Everything worked including another persons personal requests.
Hope this works for you.

Reactions: UserDefault

raymo

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2009
Thanks, quite a big task but will try! Unfortunately some of my devices can’t sign out of iCloud because of restrictions for a profile I have to have to use my phone for Blackberry Work.... appreciate the help

UserDefault

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2020
Struggled with this for a day and finally resolved adding a second mini with configuration not completing. Once done, the software update to 14.2 appeared and the second unit loaded 14.2, was configured, and had all the HomeKit options the other mini had. I reset the unit several times and that didn’t solve the issue.

it seems to have something to do with the active HomeKit hub. I have 3 AppleTV 4K’s, adding the first mini raises that hub count to four. One ATV is “connected” and the others are in “standby” mode. Turn off the connected hub and restart your wifi. Let HomeKit come back without the powered off hub device. You may want to power cycle the unit stuck in configure mode, but for me the home app said an update was available after a minute or two. Apply the update and verify you are now on the 14.2 release. You may need to close the item in HomeKit and open it again to refresh the settings screen. One done, it was hooked up normally. Plug the powered off device back in and you should be good to go.

Hopefully this works for others. Remember that another HomePod or HomePod mini can serve as the connected hub the same as an AppleTV.

Legendary Wizard

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2020
Weirdly –– one of the HomePods finally paired! I'm not sure exactly the steps to resolve, as I was trying a bunch of things. But perhaps switching off/on iCloud Keychain and Home toggles did the trick. I am now trying to get the other one to configure, but it is still being stubborn.

Help! My 2 new HomePod Minis are stuck as well, takes forever to configure and RESETS by itself. Never before have I been so mad at an Apple device.

Does the above step work? May I just confirm that u toggled the “Home” icon in iCloud off and on? I’m afraid to try that, I fear turning off “Home” in iCloud might erase my home data...

Did u also get your second HomePod Mini up and running? If so mind sharing how you troubleshooted it? I’m so lost and so mad, tried literally all I can think of other than wiping my home...

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I bought a HomePod mini and it worked great. I decided to add a second so I could get stereo music. Thats when all of the problems started. They work sometimes, then I get cannot connect to the internet and half the time music plays on only 1 HomePod Mini.

The home app is so slow and I dont have any network issues. In fact they are both about 3-4 feet from my router. With 1gig speed.

I removed one HomePod and now it works properly. I’m probably going to return it because I didn’t honestly notice the stereo difference anyway (and it works 1/5 times).

Madchemic39

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2020
I bought a HomePod mini and it worked great. I decided to add a second so I could get stereo music. Thats when all of the problems started. They work sometimes, then I get cannot connect to the internet and half the time music plays on only 1 HomePod Mini.

The home app is so slow and I dont have any network issues. In fact they are both about 3-4 feet from my router. With 1gig speed.

I removed one HomePod and now it works properly. I’m probably going to return it because I didn’t honestly notice the stereo difference anyway (and it works 1/5 times).
Maybe wait for 14.3 update and try again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.