Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I have dual studio displays and I have noticed (when the screens are off) that the glass is coated with a different colour. One is green tinted and the other is purple tinted. I have looked at my old iMac and that had a purple tint to it also.

I have also found that when wiping the screens with a microfibre cloth the green tinted one grips the microfibre more, but it glides across the purple tinted one more easily.

I wouldn't even have noticed if it wasn't for the fact that I have 2 displays side by side.

Quality wise it makes no difference to the image and I can't even see it when the screens are on. Just an observation really.

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
FL
Same - purple for me. I have been noticing it side-by-side with my iMac 2020 27” screen that doesn’t have it. Unlike you, I see it even when the screen is on. It has been a bit distracting compared to the apparently non-coated iMac screen right next to it.

Reactions: Sir Ruben

julianrs

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2022
Hey guys, I have bought three and noticed the exact same thing. One is green and two are purple. It actually does affect the picture as the wavelengths of light that reflect are slightly different. I am contemplating contacting AppleCare and requesting a replacement of the odd one out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.