Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dingobiatch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
I have the 16" MBP, Radeon 5500M. I started seeing this graphics corruption my screen as of yesterday.. possibly after I installed the latest Catalina update. Has anyone experienced this or is my video card screwed??
Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 10.43.30 AM.png

*Edit* This may be Chrome only??

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
First I've heard of it here, but I don't read everything.

Can you say more about why you think it may be Chrome only? Everything else shows OK?

rmcwhae

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2009
Canada
I've had this as well. 16-inch MBP, Radeon 5500M 4 GB macOS 10.15.4. Appeared in Chrome initially, then proceeded to kernel panic next time waking from sleep (external 4K display plugged in).

Attachments

• GPU crash.png
    GPU crash.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 750
  • gpu.PNG
    gpu.PNG
    3.9 MB · Views: 713

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I've had this as well. 16-inch MBP, Radeon 5500M 4 GB macOS 10.15.4. Appeared in Chrome initially, then proceeded to kernel panic next time waking from sleep (external 4K display plugged in).
So is this part of the recent kernel panics believed to be linked to recent OS updates?

dingobiatch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Okay so I'm only seeing it in Chrome, at least today. I turned off Chrome's hardware acceleration and it seems to have disappeared... Not really sure whats going on.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I sometimes notice the tint of the screen changing suddenly while I'm running Chrome, it tends to get more red. Never happened with the external display, and if I switch off and on True Tone it gets back to normal.
Maybe mine is a completely unrelated problem

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I haven't noticed it on my machine, but I don't use Chrome.

P.S Check out Brave, its a web browser based on Chromium without creepy Google tech.

aeikenberry

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2020
This has been happening to me on Chrome only. Only restarting the computer solves it for me. Can open another browser without the issue.

interbear

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
UK
I had a very similar issue last week with my MBP16. Also with Radeon Pro 5500M (4GB) graphics.

Not with Chrome though, it was with the Microsoft Teams app. Looked very similar pattern but purple.

A restart of the MBP solved the problem at the time and I thought no more of it.

Until seeing this thread :oops:

interbear

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
UK
Happened again with Microsoft Teams on my MBP16 with AMD Radeon Pro 5500M (4GB) this morning. This after yet another restart overnight while sleeping, an increasingly frequent occurrence :rolleyes:

christcc2

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2020
Seems like a possible driver issue - hopefully it can be resolved with the next Catalina update. It definitely doesn't look like a hardware problem yet.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I experienced this today in both Chrome and Safari, one after the other within a half hour of each other, first time ever. AMD Radeon 5500 M 8GB. Notably powering two separate external displays (not 4K). But I've also been doing that for months with no issues.

10.15.4 - wish this Mac could run Mojave, but that's another rant for another time...

interbear

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
UK
I experienced this today in both Chrome and Safari, one after the other within a half hour of each other, first time ever. AMD Radeon 5500 M 8GB. Notably powering two separate external displays (not 4K). But I've also been doing that for months with no issues.

10.15.4 - wish this Mac could run Mojave, but that's another rant for another time...

Yes I had it with Chrome for the 1st time today. Until today it's only happened with MSFT Teams.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
I just received mine fully spec refurbished model (32gb, 2tb, 2.4 8core, gpu 8gb) on monday and used it for 12 hours or so and had heating issues for the first 2 hours of setting it up..the area above lid was so hot with fans going crazy. I spoke to apple support and did tests etc., and i decided to install all my apps on it and see if will calm down over time. Then those kernel panics showed up in the morning after I opened up the lid. Heat issues still persistent after that even when running safari. The manufacturing date was nov 2011. Apple support told me to just return it for now as i still have my 13" mbp 2013. I had to cancel my amazon order for case and dongles etc..blah.

It's ok, It was my first new laptop in 7 years and i did like the new form factor, However, I realized that my laptop habits won't transition well to the big foot print since I sit on couch, in bed and only sometimes on the table, so it was awkward adjusting to it. I also had hard adjusting to the keyboard , as its reach, due to the larger trackpad being so wide makes me have most of my palm and hand stretched over. Another thing I notice was the 32gb ram it had, it said i have 10 gb remaining when i was doing apple mail, browsing and word open and doing small tasks like that so wasn't sure what was eating the ram up so much. This was all after the latests Catalina updates. Also when scrolling down in safari , maybe the refresh rate being at 60hz had something to do with, but was blurry as you scroll not sure how to explain it.

I can wait i guess for 14" and see how that goes. It was a fun 12 hours though. I did like the mbp 16" and immersive screen!

ricardonebel

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2020
I have started to experience the same graphic corruption issues today with MS Teams. As background, I have had the same system restarts while the laptop sleeps for a few weeks. I am often greeted by a message "the computer restarted because of a problem" in the morning when I get back to work. I was hoping this would be OS issue that would be resolved by an update, but given that I now have this graphics corruption as well, I wonder if this is more of a hardware issue. I have contacted Apple Support today and they opened a ticket and directed me to the following page with things to try https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553. If none of them work I was instructed to call them again.

I have a MB Pro 16 inch 2.3 Mhz I9, 16Gb RAM and the AMD Pro 5500M with 4GB

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2015
I am getting same in Whatsapp - see here:- https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/whatsapp-ui-corruption.2232970/
[automerge]1587990926[/automerge]
Both Teams and Whatsapp are Electron apps which use a Chromium based browser underneath. Whatsapp is completely broken for me. teams is largely okay except for the small ellipsis that appears when someone is typing in a chat - that appears corrupted.

...and a reboot has fixed it temporarily for me..

Last edited:

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
I also have this in Teams occasionally. I was having the problem in chrome/safari when viewing a specific 3D model page. Haven't seen it there any more.

dingobiatch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah, happening in WhatsApp for me too. Interesting about it being Chrome browsers underneath.. that gives me hope that it's a Chrome problem.

interbear

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
UK
I have started to experience the same graphic corruption issues today with MS Teams. As background, I have had the same system restarts while the laptop sleeps for a few weeks. I am often greeted by a message "the computer restarted because of a problem" in the morning when I get back to work. I was hoping this would be OS issue that would be resolved by an update, but given that I now have this graphics corruption as well, I wonder if this is more of a hardware issue. I have contacted Apple Support today and they opened a ticket and directed me to the following page with things to try https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553. If none of them work I was instructed to call them again.

I have a MB Pro 16 inch 2.3 Mhz I9, 16Gb RAM and the AMD Pro 5500M with 4GB

I had exactly the same problems for a few weeks. However, I've not had a repeat of either the graphic corruption or the restart when sleeping issue since I disabled PowerNap and Automatic Graphic Switching on my MBP 16. Suggest you try that and see if it helps. I'm now over a week since making these changes (in Energy Saver settings) and so far, so good.

2bFrank

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
Exact same here, Teams does it as well, reboot is what fixes it. Every morning as well when I start work my mac has restarted because of an issue. Pain in the arse, especially when I've a deadline to meet and having to restart every hour. This only seems to happen on the 16" macbook, my wifes 13" macbook air doesnt have the issue.

1588343495679.png

interbear

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
UK
Exact same here, Teams does it as well, reboot is what fixes it. Every morning as well when I start work my mac has restarted because of an issue. Pain in the arse, especially when I've a deadline to meet and having to restart every hour. This only seems to happen on the 16" macbook, my wifes 13" macbook air doesnt have the issue.

View attachment 911168

Try disabling PowerNap and Automatic Graphic Switching in Energy Saver settings. I did that on my MBP 16 and have had a week of zero restarts and zero graphics issues as per your picture. Previously happened every day with Teams and Chrome. Whether it's an actual fix only time will tell but so far it's worked for me.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I just received mine fully spec refurbished model (32gb, 2tb, 2.4 8core, gpu 8gb) on monday and used it for 12 hours or so and had heating issues for the first 2 hours of setting it up..the area above lid was so hot with fans going crazy. I spoke to apple support and did tests etc., and i decided to install all my apps on it and see if will calm down over time. Then those kernel panics showed up in the morning after I opened up the lid. Heat issues still persistent after that even when running safari. The manufacturing date was nov 2011. Apple support told me to just return it for now as i still have my 13" mbp 2013. I had to cancel my amazon order for case and dongles etc..blah.

It's ok, It was my first new laptop in 7 years and i did like the new form factor, However, I realized that my laptop habits won't transition well to the big foot print since I sit on couch, in bed and only sometimes on the table, so it was awkward adjusting to it. I also had hard adjusting to the keyboard , as its reach, due to the larger trackpad being so wide makes me have most of my palm and hand stretched over. Another thing I notice was the 32gb ram it had, it said i have 10 gb remaining when i was doing apple mail, browsing and word open and doing small tasks like that so wasn't sure what was eating the ram up so much. This was all after the latests Catalina updates. Also when scrolling down in safari , maybe the refresh rate being at 60hz had something to do with, but was blurry as you scroll not sure how to explain it.

I can wait i guess for 14" and see how that goes. It was a fun 12 hours though. I did like the mbp 16" and immersive screen!

Ironically its a misconception that minimal RAM usage is a "good thing", but it's not, it's a waste. macOS will use a lot of RAM for cache when it's not being used for other things like programs. As I type, I just have safari open and my 32GB system is using 16.5GB as cache.

Reactions: theSeb
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.