Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
Oh! Thank you!

I remember seeing the preview for that, but couldn't recall the name. I want to see it.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
but I figure someone here besides me has seen it.]

For once we actually had a film that was released over here, months before over there. :D

It's not quite operating in the same echelon as something like Solaris, but it's certainly one of the more sophisticated sci-fi films of the last couple of decades.

I'm still waiting for the soundtrack to be released. :(

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I saw Sunshine months ago. I think it was released first in the UK. Has it still to be released in the US? The film is really good and gives a good dark, realistic depiction of space, and at times is very, very eerie.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
For once we actually had a film that was released over here, months before over there. :D

It's not quite operating in the same echelon as something like Solaris, but it's certainly one of the more sophisticated sci-fi films of the last couple of decades.

I'm still waiting for the soundtrack to be released. :(

Oh come on, comparing Tarkovsky to Boyle is a bit unfair, don't you think?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I don't count that Clooney mess.

Touché. :D

But I see what you mean I guess.

It's all down to the subject matter, Sunshine is a little more... conventional, a little less cerebral... but that's not to suggest it's not worthy of being included in discussion with such... prodigious company. Because it is, and deservedly so. ;)

If it's only on in 10 cities though... :( sounds like you should consider yourself fortunate to have been able to experience it on the big screen. ;)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Touché. :D

It's all down to the subject matter, Sunshine is a little more... conventional, a little less cerebral... but that's not to suggest it's not worthy of being included in discussion with such... prodigious company. Because it is, and deservedly so. ;)

If it's only on in 10 cities though... :( sounds like you should consider yourself fortunate to have been able to experience it on the big screen. ;)

The film industry considers most Americans to be too simple in their tastes to go to such a film. Sadly, they're right.

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2007
The awfully cliched ending wasted what would have been an instant sci-fi classic along the lines of 2001 and Alien. I did enjoy the opening act... Danny Boyle was able to recreate the awe and grandness of flying a spacecraft towards the sun in a very believable way. The scene of the crew in outer space without a suit was also very exciting.

It's that pesky ending again... watching the movie is the equivalent of receiving a gift of dog poop wrapped up by Martha Stewart.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
The awfully cliched ending wasted what would have been an instant sci-fi classic along the lines of 2001 and Alien. I did enjoy the opening act... Danny Boyle was able to recreate the awe and grandness of flying a spacecraft towards the sun in a very believable way. The scene of the crew in outer space without a suit was also very exciting.

It's that pesky ending again... watching the movie is the equivalent of receiving a gift of dog poop wrapped up by Martha Stewart.

The ending didn't bother me. What was it that you didn't like?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Ah, I really liked this, barring that cliched enemy guy they pick up. I'd have liked it more if they kept with the ¨enemy within¨ storyline they started with. Also thought that shot of Sydney under snow was pushing it too, they could have kept it subtle.

Either way. I really liked it, I found it gripping from start to finish which rarely happens for me.

Only reason I caught it was a lecturer friend said he was doing consulting for that film. The name escaped me until a friend bought it on DVD! Since then I've really got into Boyle's films. Dead Mans Shoes was incredible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.