Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrobat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
I am trying to figure out the best way to move my windows apps, prefs, etc to a bigger drive with a newly installed windows os. I am trying to avoid reinstalling everything since it would take hours. I just want to move the files over but since they are in the nfhs format I cant I am unable to do it while booted in osx. any suggestions?

pixelbaker

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2006
hook both the smaller and the larger drive into a PC system, boot from a Norton Ghost or similar cloning software CDROM and use that to clone the drive from the small to the large. Everything will be intact and exactly as you left it, only on a larger drive. after that you can remove the smaller and do whatever you want with it.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
hook both the smaller and the larger drive into a PC system, boot from a Norton Ghost or similar cloning software CDROM and use that to clone the drive from the small to the large. Everything will be intact and exactly as you left it, only on a larger drive. after that you can remove the smaller and do whatever you want with it.

I'd be very careful before doing that since the Boot Camp install requires a specific combination of GPT/MBR partitions and a partition for EFI. Any of the Windows only apps might not preserve your OSX.

Of course if you're on a Mac Pro and/or you have a MacBook and Windows has it's own drive, you're probably OK.

B

macrobat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2006
cool thanks guys. My windows os is on another drive not the same as OSX safety first. I will try norton ghost. Actually looking at that tutorial balamw that might be the ticket sweet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.