Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agente46

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
all this Xr talk only started because because the OP said the Xr was a joke and most Xr users (including myself) felt the need to defend it.

Can we all just agree that the Xr, Xs and Xs Max are all great phones for the needs of each individual user?

Last edited:

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I defend the XR because I see quite a lot of negativity aimed at it and my own experience couldn't be more different.

Goompa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2018
all this Xr talk only started because because the OP said the Xr was a joke and most Xr users (including myself) felt the need to defend it.

Can we all just agree that the Xr, Xs and Xs Max are all great phones for the needs of each individual user?
I’m sorry if I offended, was not my intention. But when I took a look at it, it was next to the iPhone max... needless to say that I saw a huge difference in design, plus oled displays have never been a problem to me. Charging so much for it was another factor. I can imagine it has the best battery life (very disappointed with the note’s battery, at 100 brightness it barely lasts one day ._. ).

I defend the XR because I see quite a lot of negativity aimed at it and my own experience couldn't be more different.
The problem I saw was the bulkiness of the device, maybe just a lil bit, but enough to notice at least for me. Plus I have a pet, collect toys, love nature-flowers and Bokeh pictures were not possible on it.

Reactions: StellarVixen

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Funny how you dont even consider the XR. So many people have found it to be the best phone Apple has ever made, myself included. Many expected it to be the joke you are assuming it is - and were seriously mistaken.

It lost me at 1792x828. Everything else could be amazing. Just. No.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
It lost me at 1792x828. Everything else could be amazing. Just. No.

At the end of the day its just a number. You are assigning an arbitrary value to it. On a screen this small, it just doesn't matter. Its too bad you fell for the marketing and hype that has tricked you into thinking you need a higher number.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
At the end of the day its just a number. You are assigning an arbitrary value to it. On a screen this small, it just doesn't matter. Its too bad you fell for the marketing and hype that has tricked you into thinking you need a higher number.

Yes that was it. Totally. It wasn’t the jagged nature of small text. Nope. Just numbers.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Yes that was it. Totally. It wasn’t the jagged nature of small text. Nope. Just numbers.

Its in your imagination. The PPI on the XR is way higher than any macbook or ipad, which are used at similar distances. Unless you are saying those are jagged as hell and unreadable?

You got sold, bro

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Note 9. Inferior display. Inferior chip. Inferior camera. Inferior support. Inferior resale value.

But hey good luck with your Note 9.

PS: The higher asking price of iPhone vs Note9 is recovered when you sell your phone down the road.

Last edited:

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011

You seem to be correct there:

1. " in our experience, most people who own Smartphones that have a PPI higher than 300 can perceive that there is a difference in sharpness. That is especially true when looking at nature scene photos or simply text and icons."

2. "Most research points to the fact that 300 PPI does not represent the human visual acuity limit in the context of Smartphone displays."

3. "Research from Sun Microsystems estimated the limit to be at least 2X what 20/20 vision is (pdf link), and Sharp thinks that humans can see up to 1000 PPI (pdf link)."

https://www.ubergizmo.com/what-is/ppi-pixels-per-inch/

----------------------------
The color reproduction and backlight showing are very apparent in the video below:

9:46 -- The differences of the painting in the background, and especially the boxes (red and coral in the middle) are apparent. The box on the far right XR, you can't make out the color of the box at all.

10:46 -- Detroitborg discusses and shows the differences in text, but states it's mostly apparent only under certain fonts at certain sizes.

agente46

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014

Damn, I need to get my eyes checked. I see no jaggies on my wife’s Xs or my Xr. Of course I’m using these phones normally and not with a magnifying glass. I bet you must have had extensive use of the Xr to make that statement.

Last edited:

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Damn, I need to get my eyes checked. I see no jaggies on my wife’s Xs or my Xr. Of course I’m using these phones normally and not with a magnifying glass. I bet you must have had extensive use of the Xr to make that statement.
Having both you need to have the phones 5 inches from your face. Not exactly normal.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
You seem to be correct there:

1. " in our experience, most people who own Smartphones that have a PPI higher than 300 can perceive that there is a difference in sharpness. That is especially true when looking at nature scene photos or simply text and icons."

2. "Most research points to the fact that 300 PPI does not represent the human visual acuity limit in the context of Smartphone displays."

3. "Research from Sun Microsystems estimated the limit to be at least 2X what 20/20 vision is (pdf link), and Sharp thinks that humans can see up to 1000 PPI (pdf link)."

https://www.ubergizmo.com/what-is/ppi-pixels-per-inch/

----------------------------
The color reproduction and backlight showing are very apparent in the video below:

9:46 -- The differences of the painting in the background, and especially the boxes (red and coral in the middle) are apparent. The box on the far right XR, you can't make out the color of the box at all.

10:46 -- Detroitborg discusses and shows the differences in text, but states it's mostly apparent only under certain fonts at certain sizes.

I promise you that if I put my XR next to your XS Max, I will be able to physically read 100% of the articles and content that you can on the max. The additional slight sharpness of the max will enable 0% additional ability to consume content. Until you understand this concept, you will continue to pay more for a slight difference that has no real world value.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I promise you that if I put my XR next to your XS Max, I will be able to physically read 100% of the articles and content that you can on the max. The additional slight sharpness of the max will enable 0% additional ability to consume content. Until you understand this concept, you will continue to pay more for a slight difference that has no real world value.
On the other hand if someone does notice a difference of one sort or another that makes a difference to them, then they can decide what's better for them, whatever the reasoning might be.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
On the other hand if someone does notice a difference of one sort or another that makes a difference to them, then they can decide what's better for them, whatever the reasoning might be.

I’d argue that they are suffering from marketing derangement syndrome. In this case, the only thing you can get out of additional PPI is bragging rights, or dick measuring in other words. This is empty and people will soon find that the joy they got from having the highest specs dies off in about 2 weeks, at which point the phone goes back to just being a tool.

People need to recognize this in order to stop being taken advantage of by companies like Apple. If they don’t, they will keep paying huge premiums with nothing real gained.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I’d argue that they are suffering from marketing derangement syndrome. In this case, the only thing you can get out of additional PPI is bragging rights, or dick measuring in other words. This is empty and people will soon find that the joy they got from having the highest specs dies off in about 2 weeks, at which point the phone goes back to just being a tool.

People need to recognize this in order to stop being taken advantage of by companies like Apple. If they don’t, they will keep paying huge premiums with nothing real gained.
If someone is doing it simply based on some numbers, perhaps. If someone is doing it based on their actual use of it, then what does that have to do with marketing or anything of the sort?

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011

Being able to "physically read 100% of the articles and content", wasn't the context though.
Yes, anyone should be able to consume any content...but that goes back to every iOS device ever made (even the "non retina" ones).

You are stating people have bought into marketing, but it's used on all the devices including the XR with the "Liquid Retina Display". I haven't seen any extensive marketing about the display in the XS or XS Max.

The main difference I notice is in color contrast, which doesn't have anything to do with clarity. If you or someone else can't see the difference (like at 9:46 of the video I posted), or don't care...then have at it. When bringing financial differences into the mix, sure things can change quite a bit, as evident from the source channels that praise the XR overall. Where are all these marketing and tech sources that have been telling people otherwise? The XR isn't some underdog. Go to Tom's Guide or CNET, you'll see quite the opposite.

Last edited:

Goompa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2018
Note 9. Inferior display. Inferior chip. Inferior camera. Inferior support. Inferior resale value.

But hey good luck with your Note 9.

PS: The higher asking price of iPhone vs Note9 is recovered when you sell your phone down the road.
It could be inferior for you, not for everyone else.
Do I plan to sell my cellphone? Ofc not, I collect them.
I just found out that I can doodle whatever I want on my brand new note, such a killer feature that no other cellphone can do. Are there trade offs? Ofc, but not even bad.

It is very funny how ppl keep debating about Xr’s resolution. It’s something that shouldn’t matter but Apple went the Apple way...

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
It could be inferior for you, not for everyone else.
Do I plan to sell my cellphone? Ofc not, I collect them.
I just found out that I can doodle whatever I want on my brand new note, such a killer feature that no other cellphone can do. Are there trade offs? Ofc, but not even bad.

It is very funny how ppl keep debating about Xr’s resolution. It’s something that shouldn’t matter but Apple went the Apple way...

No, not only to me. What I wrote is fact.

Doodling...it will get old in a week. Former Note user here.

Killer feature? I rather have 60 FPS gaming, superb Smart HDR, and 5+ years of software updates! I would imagine you would care about software support since you “collect” phones.

Doodling. Lol.

Goompa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2018
No, not only to me. What I wrote is fact.

Doodling...it will get old in a week. Former Note user here.

Killer feature? I rather have 60 FPS gaming, superb Smart HDR, and 5+ years of software updates! I would imagine you would care about software support since you “collect” phones.

Doodling. Lol.
I don’t play FPS games (that’s my switch for or any other home console), the screen imo is really good (would take an Oled screen without notch anytime). Btw I’m surprised you mention games and ignore how intrusive the notch is.
Enjoy your phone for the next 5 years, I’m just waiting til the industry figures out a solution.

Did you read my post where I mention how irrelevant and silly is the chip performance (obviously is better but not day and night) in the real world? And in the camera department the iPhone is not even better.

Do you illustrate? Or doodle? I don’t make life illustrating, but it’s something I’m very very pleased with. I would take the possibility of taking notes with a pen any day as well.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
I don’t play FPS games (that’s my switch for or any other home console), the screen imo is really good (would take an Oled screen without notch anytime). Btw I’m surprised you mention games and ignore how intrusive the notch is.
Enjoy your phone for the next 5 years, I’m just waiting til the industry figures out a solution.

Did you read my post where I mention how irrelevant and silly is the chip performance (obviously is better but not day and night) in the real world? And in the camera department the iPhone is not even better.

Do you illustrate? Or doodle? I don’t make life illustrating, but it’s something I’m very very pleased with. I would take the possibility of taking notes with a pen any day as well.

FPS = frames per second. Not first person shooter.

60 FPS gaming...such as Asphalt 9 or Fortnite. THAT is what a good chip can do for you!

Display...notch is fine...why? Because Apple requires apps to optimized for it. Not a big deal. Developers have no issue with notch.

What matters more is color management or lack of on Android.

https://www.xda-developers.com/goog...gible-improvement-yet-still-behind-the-curve/

"We would give the Galaxy Note 9 an A rating: Very good brightness with high brightness mode, great gamma control, photos app has some color management. But, it still has black clipping, and we found the color accuracy in the calibrated profiles to not be too impressive. The iPhone X and the iPhone Xs both receive A+ ratings: It has a stellar manual brightness range without utilizing high brightness mode, zero black clipping over its 8-bit intensity range, smart PWM control, the best color accuracy we have measured, good gamma control, and excellent color management with an OS that utilizes wide color. These very noticeable and experience-affecting differences allow it to pull ahead of the Note 9 based on the qualities of the display and how its software handles it...."

As for camera...dude, there is no comparison. Smart HDR on XS kills Note 9 in pretty much every way...from pics to 4k video.

Goompa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2018
FPS = frames per second. Not first person shooter.

60 FPS gaming...such as Asphalt 9 or Fortnite. THAT is what a good chip can do for you!

Display...notch is fine...why? Because Apple requires apps to optimized for it. Not a big deal. Developers have no issue with notch.

What matters more is color management or lack of on Android.

https://www.xda-developers.com/goog...gible-improvement-yet-still-behind-the-curve/

"We would give the Galaxy Note 9 an A rating: Very good brightness with high brightness mode, great gamma control, photos app has some color management. But, it still has black clipping, and we found the color accuracy in the calibrated profiles to not be too impressive. The iPhone X and the iPhone Xs both receive A+ ratings: It has a stellar manual brightness range without utilizing high brightness mode, zero black clipping over its 8-bit intensity range, smart PWM control, the best color accuracy we have measured, good gamma control, and excellent color management with an OS that utilizes wide color. These very noticeable and experience-affecting differences allow it to pull ahead of the Note 9 based on the qualities of the display and how its software handles it...."

As for camera...dude, there is no comparison. Smart HDR on XS kills Note 9 in pretty much every way...from pics to 4k video.

Notch will never ever be fine (neither holes into the screen), it’s just there cause we don’t have the tech yet.
There are so many things that I just don’t feel like explaining, because we don’t know each other.

Glad you like your cellphone as well as I do.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Notch will never ever be fine (neither holes into the screen), it’s just there cause we don’t have the tech yet.
There are so many things that I just don’t feel like explaining, because we don’t know each other.

Glad you like your cellphone as well as I do.

I don't find the notch to be an issue most of the time, but I'd be lying if I said I'd prefer it not to be there, regardless.
As for your thread, that's awesome that you found a phone that you are happy with.
I'd imagine though you'd have to realize that the responses you would or will get here, aren't going to be
met with such positive enthusiasm in general. It's basically like going into a Toyota Enthusiast forum and posting a thread about how much you love your new Honda Accord now that you ditched your Corolla.

All that said, I don't see any personal use for the S Pen, but that's good it's something you value.
Things like the split screen multi tasking and floating video player seem like useful features that I hope iOS adopts one day. That said, many including myself have a lot of media and/or devices invested in the Apple ecosystem, so switching to Android may not be the most valuable decision.

I'm more concerned about the lag that many Android devices eventually experience as well as the lack of OS update support. Flossy Carter from YT complained about the Note 8 lagging out already (he said he tried several), and MKBHD complained about lag on the S9+. Time will tell how well the Note 9 ages in general, by then you may have switched to another device...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.