Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LEDVANCE's HomeKit-compatible Sylvania Smart A19 Full Color LED Bulb is now available for pre-order, with deliveries expected to start in September.

First introduced late last year, Sylvania's new bulb connects to a HomeKit setup over Bluetooth, so no hub or WiFi connection is necessary. It's a multicolored bulb, so it can be set to several different shades of white or a range of different colors, much like the well-known Philips Hue color bulbs.

sylvaniabox-800x531.jpg

We were able to go hands-on with the Sylvania Smart Bulb ahead of its launch, and it works well. As with any HomeKit product, setup takes just a couple of minutes and is as simple as screwing the bulb into a lamp. It's about as bright as a Hue bulb and the color can be adjusted through the Home app. Color wise, its range is similar to the Hue, though some of the shades are not quite as deep (especially greens and purples).

sylvaniabulb-800x660.jpg

The benefit to the Sylvania bulb is its ability to connect over Bluetooth, alleviating the need for a hub. Early on, Bluetooth HomeKit products were slow and prone to not working, but those issues have long since been worked out. The Sylvania bulb responds quickly and works anywhere in the house. It also works when away from home if there's an Apple TV or an iPad to serve as a home hub.

Like all HomeKit-equipped products, the new Sylvania bulb responds to Siri commands and can be used with scenes and timers for automation.
"Our approach is unique in the Smart industry because we focus on delivering quality lighting products first and only then adding Smart functionality second. Our customers expect their Smart lighting to not only work with the latest and greatest technology ecosystems, but to look good while doing it," added Ganick. "Our products combine over a century of lighting expertise with our forward-thinking, high tech mentality. That's why they aren't just Smart, they are SYLVANIA SMART+."
The Sylvania Smart A19 Full Color LED Bulb can be pre-ordered from Amazon for $44.99.

Later this year, LEDVANCE plans to release an Indoor Full Color Flex Strip, an A19 Soft White Light Bulb, and a Plug, all of which will be HomeKit compatible and will be available at major retailers like Amazon, Best Buy, Lowe's, and more.

Article Link: Sylvania HomeKit-Equipped Multicolor Bluetooth Smart Bulb Now Available for Pre-Order

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
IMHO 800 Lumen is too low, it should be minimum 1000 Lumen but preferably >1200 Lumens.
Pricing is another issue, if they get the price down to lets say $29.95 they would sell a ton more.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Philips hue requires a hub, but it's worth it because the Hue bulbs form a mesh - and then it isn't range limited to Bluetooth range the way this bulb will be. I wouldn't risk it unless it was for a very small space.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Philips hue requires a hub, but it's worth it because the Hue bulbs form a mesh - and then it isn't range limited to Bluetooth range the way this bulb will be. I wouldn't risk it unless it was for a very small space.

I prefer Lifx since they don't require a hub as well as having the brightest smart bulb. They have their own wifi network. However i'm starting to get impatient with their lack of homekit. They say homekit is coming but far its not here.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I have been happy with my Sylvania/Osram lights. I have nine can lights and a couple of medium screw base bulbs. They have been very reliable with the Wink system and have nicely saturated colors. I expect these bulbs to be similar in performance.

The only issue I have with smart lighting is when the power goes out. When power is restored all 50+ lights turn on at full brightness. :eek:

RC Mike

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2015
Being reliant on BlueTooth is not a selling point, if a person has a home larger than a small apartment.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I prefer Lifx since they don't require a hub as well as having the brightest smart bulb. They have their own wifi network. However i'm starting to get impatient with their lack of homekit. They say homekit is coming but far its not here.

Yes LIFX has been saying HomeKit support is coming for a couple years now. I think they even announced something at CES last Jan and still nada. Now Sylvannia is off to the races with a hub less bulb. No matter. Who ever comes out with 100w equivalent bulbs for lamps and cans (1600 Lumens) wins.

I have Hue now and it's great. But the 60w equivalent bulbs are only good for reading lamps not to really light a room. I'm surprised the technology really has only gone sideways in the past 4 years.
[doublepost=1502131667][/doublepost]
$45 for a bulb is ridiculous.

How long do they last?

As long as any LED bulb - 10ish years if used properly.
[doublepost=1502131892][/doublepost]
The only issue I have with smart lighting is when the power goes out. When power is restored all 50+ lights turn on at full brightness. :eek:

"Hey Siri turn off the lights." That is the beauty of HomeKit lights. It's not like you have to go and physically turn off all your lights. Also who has 50+ smart bulbs? Whoever does also has a butler named Jeeves who handles such pedestrian problems.

And trust me full brightness on these lamps isn't that bright.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
"Hey Siri turn off the lights." That is the beauty of HomeKit lights. It's not like you have to go and physically turn off all your lights. Also who has 50+ smart bulbs? Whoever does also has a butler named Jeeves who handles such pedestrian problems.

And trust me full brightness on these lamps isn't that bright.
Actually in my case it would be "Alexa, turn off all lights." And yes that is easy but I'm talking more about when you aren't home. A few weeks ago I came home to a fully lit house. Had I been on vacation the lights might have been on for a couple of weeks. At least LEDs pull so little power. The track lighting in my living room has 30 lamps and at full brightness only draws 85 watts.

A butler would be nice but is a bit out of the budget at the moment. For my track lighting I got my bulbs direct from the manufacturer. 30 bulbs shipped for $300. Had I gone with the Philips Hue GU10 bulbs it would have been $1500. I've experimented over the years and have mix of different systems (Hue, Mi-Light, Lightify, Lutron switches) that all work well with Wink and Alexa after some fiddling.

Testing the track lights.
15193661_1286923868026776_5875158345376975534_n.jpg

Exterior can lights.
15327334_1307005402685289_1558906390483980071_n.jpg

Track lights in corner of living room.
15966248_1340743735978122_3653995795302377797_n.jpg

I agree that a single light or two would be a bit dim but I have plenty of lighting in the house. I have also saved money by using 100 watt equivalent, non-smart LEDs for things like the kitchen task lights and control them with a Lutron Caseta switch.

I had a small photo gallery for a couple of years so I already had the track and fixtures. $300 for RGB smart lamps was a no-brainer.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Actually in my case it would be "Alexa, turn off all lights." And yes that is easy but I'm talking more about when you aren't home.

Why would that matter? The whole point of HomeKit devices is that, properly set up, you can control those devices no matter where you are as long as your iPhone or iPad has Internet access. I "manage" my home, esp. my Ecobee thermostat" out of town all the time. August lock, Hue lights, all can be operated by either the native app or HomeKit app anywhere -- and even "Hey Siri."

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Why would that matter? The whole point of HomeKit devices is that, properly set up, you can control those devices no matter where you are as long as your iPhone or iPad has Internet access. I "manage" my home, esp. my Ecobee thermostat" out of town all the time. August lock, Hue lights, all can be operated by either the native app or HomeKit app anywhere -- and even "Hey Siri."
Yes, yes, I can do all that too. But you answered your own question: "as long as your iPhone or iPad has Internet access."

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Yes, yes, I can do all that too. But you answered your own question: "as long as your iPhone or iPad has Internet access."

But when doesn't someone have Internet access? I travel all over the place. Unless you are going to some remote village in a far corner of the world there is Internet access. And maybe even in the remote village. For 99.9% of Americans finding Internet access is not a difficult feat. Going back to your original issue of not being able to turn the lights off remotely -- yes, it's a non-issue.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
But when doesn't someone have Internet access? I travel all over the place. Unless you are going to some remote village in a far corner of the world there is Internet access. And maybe even in the remote village. For 99.9% of Americans finding Internet access is not a difficult feat.
There are many places in the western US that don't have coverage. I am often offline and soon expect to be away from the Internet for about 12 days. I guess that's what I get for living in the remote village of Las Vegas.

No coverage here, but there is some that way...
3411_1089729394412892_7932539467963823934_n.jpg

Going back to your original issue of not being able to turn the lights off remotely -- yes, it's a non-issue.
I don't know where you are getting that, I never had issue with turning lights off remotely. I only commented that I did not like the fact that they all default to an on state after a power outage. I never mentioned control of the lights.

Actually I'm not sure why you are so concerned about my use of smart lights. I made a short post about how I was happy with the Sylvania products I own and expect that the new lights will have a similar performance. Then I made a quip about how annoying it is to have a house full of lights come on at full power.

I'm sorry you think I'm lying about having more than 50 smart lights and for your dislike of my going places that don't have Internet access. I really can't help you with those.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I don't know where you are getting that, I never had issue with turning lights off remotely. I only commented that I did not like the fact that they all default to an on state after a power outage. I never mentioned control of the lights.

Right, and my only comment originally was that why was this a big deal since you can remotely turn off all your lights at one time. So big deal if the power goes out and all your lights go on. You turn them right back off again with a simple "hey Siri." Problem solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.