Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

045833-target-ipad-09-12-2010.jpg

The Associated Press reports that Target has officially confirmed that it will begin offering availability of the iPad on October 3rd.
The nation's second-largest discount chain says it will start selling touchscreen tablet computer Oct. 3. The iPad will be covered under the retailer's 5 percent discount for store credit-card holders, which rolls out Oct. 17. Target hopes the combination of the hit device and the discount will bring in shoppers during the holidays.

Target will be the largest retail chain to carry the iPad.
The article's author seems to be confused, however, about Apple's lineup for the iPad, claiming that Target will offer four models: the three capacities of Wi-Fi-only iPad and "the Wi-Fi + 3G model". Apple of course offers the 3G-capable iPad in the same three capacities as the Wi-Fi-only models.

Screenshots from Target's inventory system that surfaced earlier this month indicate that all six iPad models will be available.

Article Link: Target Officially Confirms iPad Launch for October 3rd

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
What is that screenshot supposed to be? It doesn't say iPad on it and has no information other than a product that costs $599 is not in stock.

hismikeness

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
I bet it's the 16gb. Target doesn't have many high end products that are $600 bucks or more. They have fancy bbqs, but not high end bbqs. The iPad is a high end product.

Besides, that many options, and acronyms (3g, wifi, ram, gb's) might overwhelm the top of the bell curve Target customers. K.I.S.S. $500 bucks? I could spend that on this, specially if I can play with it first.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
What is that screenshot supposed to be? It doesn't say iPad on it and has no information other than a product that costs $599 is not in stock.

Taken from a "leak" a couple weeks ago about a "mystery" target. The screen is from the Target inventory computers. Speculation at the time was that it was an iPad. Now I guess it was right, even though $599.99 is 99 cents higher than what it is sold for everywhere else.

Besides, that many options, and acronyms (3g, wifi, ram, gb's) might overwhelm the top of the bell curve Target customers. K.I.S.S. $500 bucks? I could spend that on this, specially if I can play with it first.

Why do so many people think they are smarter than Target and Walmart shoppers? Not all smart people shop at Macy's and the Apple store for everything. Get over yourself.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Taken from a "leak" a couple weeks ago about a "mystery" target. The screen is from the Target inventory computers. Speculation at the time was that it was an iPad. Now I guess it was right, even though $599.99 is 99 cents higher than what it is sold for everywhere else.

Why do so many people think they are smarter than Target and Walmart shoppers? Not all smart people shop at Macy's and the Apple store for everything. Get over yourself.

actually only the idiots shop at Macy's. crappy quality and too expensive for what you get

AnalyzeThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2007
Who cares???

What difference does it make? Based on stats, 3G is < 25% of iPads used anyway. 3G version is just waste of money...

furqan8421

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Actually target is seen by many to be more upscale than walmart

Whether it truly is or not is up to anyone's opinion, but most people would say the same thing.

As for Apple being "too good" to be sold at target, like the other guy said: get over yourself. It's that very attitude that makes some people dislike Apple consumers. It's just a computer.

jeffereyj

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
i don't see the point in buying at target.

talk to me when the ipad is available through amazon, so i don't have to pay tax.

dannyminick

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2008
Brings back memories

Oh how I remember that inventory screen. It was the last thing I did before I walked out on the job completely. Target business practices SUCK.

And so do their employees! :D

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002

I would think smarter people shop at Target. Good prices, nice layout, eye for design. Macy's - an overcrowed over expensive place just because it's in the mall. Walmart? Well.... they may win on price, but it's a little rough. Still, that's where I get the groceries that aren't available at Sam's.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Kissin Your Sister....

Don't shop at Target. Can buy iPad at any Apple Store or just order it.

I guess more exposure to the unwashed masses at Target is a good thing but for me.....yawn.

pacfolly

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
I don't shop at Target, either after I found out they donated $150,000 to support a political candidate. :mad:

It's a little disappointing to see Apple wanting to sell the iPad at Target, but I guess selling it at Target is a way to increase iPad sales in an effort to ensure that it remains the tablet leader. At least they're not selling it at Walmart, yet. :rolleyes:

Perdification

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2010
No doubt we have to thank target for this leak, we would be left off the cliff waiting for eternity otherwise. It's a pity apple doesn't publicise its roadmaps. Those currently with iPads, who's keen on buying the new one?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
So what do you do about all the companies that are donating money anonymously?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/21/us/politics/21money.html?scp=7&sq=supreme court campaign&st=cse

Everything we can. Just because we don't know all the information means we give up fighting for what is right. I take the time to research the stores I frequent, where my money goes, and how it effects the economy and environment. In the case of Target, I will not give money to a company that supports taking away the rights of others...

Making excuses doesn't solve any thing. We fight because we have to, we fight because we care...

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I bet it's the 16gb. Target doesn't have many high end products that are $600 bucks or more. They have fancy bbqs, but not high end bbqs. The iPad is a high end product.

this makes me laugh.
Walmart sells a few tvs over $600 but yet sells the iphone with a retail price of how much?

The ipad is a high end item? really.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.