Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Encrypted messaging platform Telegram received a significant update today, bringing video messaging, bot payments, and other new features to the chat app.

In version 4.0 of Telegram, users can activate video messaging with a tap of the mic icon to switch to camera mode, or tap and hold the icon to record a quick video clip. Swiping up while recording enables handsfree mode, which works with voice notes too. Users can also stop and replay the clip before sending.

Telegram-app.jpg

In addition, chat bots can now accept payments, with the developers saying that users will soon be able to order pizza, shop for clothes, and potentially pay their utility bills using Telegram bots.

Also included in the update is a new Instant View feature, which is similar to Google's AMP platform. Essentially it enables users to view articles directly from within the Telegram app, and comes with the added ability to create article previews using the Instant View Editor.

Lastly, Telegram has also announced a new service called Telesco.pe that lets anyone watch video messages from public Telegram channels.

Telegram is a free download for iPhone and iPad from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Telegram Encrypted Messenger Gains Video Support, Bot Payments, and More

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Telegram is great. It lack's integration and fallback to SMS and MMS like every other messaging-app besides iMessage so you would have to convince all your contacts to adopt Telegram. But the app itself is great, the end-to-end encryption is great, their app is great, it has great features like stickers, gifs and whatnot and they have great apps for ALL platforms including all desktop operatingsystems like Windows, macOS and even a web-app when you can't install the software.

I do love iMessage and use it every day. And I bet Telegram would not integrate with SMS and MMS if they had the option due to there being zero encryption when using SMS and MMS protocols, and Telegram is all about privacy and encryption. But if I was able to get everyone I know to use Telegram, I would stop using iMessage in a heartbeat.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Amazing app. Just wish they used e2e encryption by default in all chats. Apart from that, it is very, very nice.

Reactions: Orionis

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Its good to keep in mind, Telegram has been shown to have serious security flaws....so don't expect Signal, iMessage (encrypted) or WhatsApp level security with it. Otherwise enjoy (most folks don't really care, but wanted to post this for those that do or are in a country with a Govt where that might be important).

http://gizmodo.com/why-you-should-stop-using-telegram-right-now-1782557415

diego

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2003
Canada & Mexico
Telegram is such a great app... I convinced all my family and friends to try it, and now I use it with at least 50 people. It's vastly superior than iMessage, which feels slow with all the unnecessary animations and loading bars and horrible UI.

Reactions: norz

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Downloaded, no contacts have it, deleted...
Yeah, I wasn't too happy about that. Seems they use it to show who in your contact list has the app so they are doing a lookup of all your phone numbers in their database. The plus side, I saw all my contacts who have installed the app.
Apple needs an option to show only selected contacts to other apps, or create a group called shared app contacts.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Yeah, I wasn't too happy about that. Seems they use it to show who in your contact list has the app so they are doing a lookup of all your phone numbers in their database. The plus side, I saw all my contacts who have installed the app.
Apple needs an option to show only selected contacts to other apps, or create a group called shared app contacts.
It's no different than what WhatsApp does.

Reactions: CarpalMac

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
It's no different than what WhatsApp does.
Whatsapp is worse, not only does it do that (which is no biggie) but it can/will share your mobile number with Facebook as well. {shudders}

I have been happily using Telegram since 2014 and I am so grateful to FB for giving me the reason to find it. A single account, multi device synching and it has had two step authentication for years. WA only just managed to implement that 3 months or so ago. Tells you all you need to know about who is well ahead in the development game as well as who takes security more seriously.

Best of all, most of the people I know have now moved over to Telegram.

There is no point people complaining that no one is on it and then refusing to use it, rather than telling others about it. Makes you wonder how they think that WA came to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: tennisproha

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
I dont get why some apps have encryption set off as default... It should always be on no matter what.

They use encryption like every service online. They say keys are in different jurisdictions (and that they never revealed information to third parties). Unfortunately THEY CAN read if they want.
Their excuse is that many people want synchronization between devices and keep history (chats, files, etc) accessible. They could come up with a way to encrypt that data also.

iosiseasy

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2014
I don't need encryption for the most part. I would rather have convenience. I'm happy my info isn't going to google or Facebook. And I love the cloud holds all my convos and media. I have dug into the API and even built a bot to send out notifications if an elevator is down in the condo.

The only thing it is missing right now is Live Photo support.

Reactions: CarpalMac and ikir

Bustycat

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2015
New Taipei, Taiwan
Its good to keep in mind, Telegram has been shown to have serious security flaws....so don't expect Signal, iMessage (encrypted) or WhatsApp level security with it. Otherwise enjoy (most folks don't really care, but wanted to post this for those that do or are in a country with a Govt where that might be important).

http://gizmodo.com/why-you-should-stop-using-telegram-right-now-1782557415
Facebook scans pictures in their Messenger. Would WhatsApp be the next?

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Most of my contacts use Telegram and I even use it for works with my teams. Incredible app, fast and full of features. It doesn't full your device since it is cloud based.

@iosiseasy It miss also CarPlay then it will be perfect

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Its good to keep in mind, Telegram has been shown to have serious security flaws....so don't expect Signal, iMessage (encrypted) or WhatsApp level security with it.
That is not true. Linking and quoting from that clickbait of an article doesn't make Telegram suddenly less secure than Whatsapp. It took WhatsApp years to even bother to add E2E encryption.
http://www.information-age.com/what...ryption-billion-users-good-news-it-123461208/

If the proper articles are to be believed, WhatsApp has had the same vulnerabilities as Telegram and were sorted almost immediately.
http://www.wired.co.uk/article/whatsapp-web-security-vulnerability

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.