Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cold_Beaver

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2019
Am I the only one with terrible battery life since this update? I have the decible meter on as well as as the hourly ho ur notifications. Apple said this uses hardly any battery but I got up at 5 am with a full charge and now I’m at 9%

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I’ve had mine off the charger since 7am. Did a 90 minute workout and it’s already down to 67% at 12:15. This won’t last until this evening at this rate. Hope it improves as I’m hoping everything is still syncing from the backup. If not, Always On will be shut off and this upgrade will have been a complete waste.

gymratjudy

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2016
I’ve had mine off the charger since 7am. Did a 90 minute workout and it’s already down to 67% at 12:15. This won’t last until this evening at this rate. Hope it improves as I’m hoping everything is still syncing from the backup. If not, Always On will be shut off and this upgrade will have been a complete waste.
I hope that is just the regular couple days to sync issue because if the battery is that bad I am definitely going to return mine. I was already on the fence, bought the Nike version so still waiting on delivery. I do 60-90 minute workouts everyday and do use a couple of sleep apps nightly. I have never had an issue with my series 4 lasting all day and into the next morning.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010

Do you plan on doing another workout? 67% seems like plenty to get you through the rest of the day if you use it as a watch.

Beachmusic18

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2018
St Petersburg
My SS series 4 has been off the charger since 7 too, now 11:23 and my battery is at 59% after a 100 minute workout!! Haven’t done anything else with it. Have NEVER liked the battery life and worried about “always on” because of my experience with the 4.

Reactions: wxboss67

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Do you plan on doing another workout? 67% seems like plenty to get you through the rest of the day if you use it as a watch.

That shouldn’t matter. With my series 4 I never dropped below 80% until around 3pm doing the same things. I use maps quite often and will most likely run later this evening and the battery will be toast by then.

Reactions: Hi Tek

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
A few things. Give new watches a few days/battery cycles to ‘settle’ in.

Were the workouts mentioned here outdoors? If so, GPS will significantly impact battery life. Normal.

Also, if on 13.0 battery may be down a bit. There were a few betas that were really bad. 13.1 final PB was good.

Reactions: CarlJ

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
A few things. Give new watches a few days/battery cycles to ‘settle’ in.

Were the workouts mentioned here outdoors? If so, GPS will significantly impact battery life. Normal.

Also, if on 13.0 battery may be down a bit. There were a few betas that were really bad. 13.1 final PB was good.

Yes, I’m hoping that it is going to take some sync time to settle the battery.

Also, workouts were indoors and I’m on 13.1, so no good there.

Reactions: 09872738

jenjen80

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2016
Columbus, OH
My S4 battery life has taken a real ? on watchOS6. It’s been off the charger for 4 hours (did my workout on a full charge, put it back on charger afterward and got it back to 100%) and is down to 39%. Literally all I’ve done is check the time and a few notifications. Please let Apple fix this with a software update...

Reactions: Der Keyser

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
My S4 battery life has taken a real ? on watchOS6. It’s been off the charger for 4 hours (did my workout on a full charge, put it back on charger afterward and got it back to 100%) and is down to 39%. Literally all I’ve done is check the time and a few notifications. Please let Apple fix this with a software update...

Software updates always have to get indexed which often drains the battery and/or slows the device down. Give it a couple days and it shouldn’t still be like this.

pirarre

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2010
I thought I was the only one. I wore my AWS 5 to bed last night around 11p at a full charge, woke up this morning it was at 68%.

I put it back on the charger and charged back to 100%. Went and did a 35min workout just lifting weight. Got home and it was at 72%.

I hope Apple sends out an update that fixes this issue.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I thought I was the only one. I wore my AWS 5 to bed last night around 11p at a full charge, woke up this morning it was at 68%.

I put it back on the charger and charged back to 100%. Went and did a 35min workout just lifting weight. Got home and it was at 72%.

I hope Apple sends out an update that fixes this issue.

brand new. give it a few cycles/days.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
Hope battery life improves. Have new SBSS in series 5, and after pulling it off charger at 8:00 am with 100% after first full charge following set up, I'm at 75% now at 1:00 pm. Not life altering obviously, but I'm intentionally running same watch face and brightness settings with alway on "on". I'm usually noticeably higher in battery charge after 5 hours. And today is a very low notification day compared to M-F workdays....

I will run it all day in this state, then tomorrow I'll try it with always on "off". If the same I'll have to conclude WatchOS6 is the problem and decide if I want to keep the watch if it doesn't make it through my day. Hopefully it will settle down and be at least as good as my S4 SS running OS5 that I still have.

Reactions: Dopestar

jenjen80

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2016
Columbus, OH
Software updates always have to get indexed which often drains the battery and/or slows the device down. Give it a couple days and it shouldn’t still be like this.
I certainly hope so. It’s 2:35pm here now and now I’m down to 10%. Really wishing I hadn’t done the software update.

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
Battery life coming from an S4 to the S5, battery life I find is not great. From a 100% charge on my S5 I was losing about 5% an hour doing nothing, it stayed like this for a few hours. To test I turned off the always on display and battery life immediately improved, for the next few hours I was losing at most doing nothing about 2% an hour which is pretty much close to where my S4/S3 and S2 were.

For me the battery killer is the always on display.

Last edited:

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Mine has been off its charger for just over 19 hours. It’s only had light use today but I have 37% remaining. The maths say it should run out at around 30 hours. That’s pretty good in my book.

The real test will come on Monday when I go back to work. I expect to get a lot more e-mail, WhatsApp and calendar notifications as well as using it to check my Train Times and control my podcast playback.

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
I am still on my series 3. Took it off the charger 7:00, did a marathon (yay me) and put it on the charger now at 10%, 21:15.

I am waiting for my nike 5. Hope to see better battery life than my series 3!

Reactions: Virgilinsanity

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
About nine hours off the charger so far, four hours of workouts as I tried three different workout types while in my fishing (pedal) kayak today.

Battery at 46%, which is on par with what I would have gotten from my S4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.