Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The annual Consumer Electronics Show starts this week, with thousands of companies overtaking Las Vegas, Nevada to show off their latest technology products. The Show officially starts on Tuesday, January 8, but as usual, there was a CES Unveiled event on Sunday to allow members of the media a little preview of what's to come.

MacRumors attended CES Unveiled, and we rounded up some of the most interesting things that we came across at the event, along with a little bit of bonus coverage from Samsung's First Look event.

As usual, there were plenty of kooky, futuristic tech devices being shown off at the event, and while not all are Apple-related, it's definitely interesting to see what's new in the tech industry.

The Artemis Mirror, for example, runs a unique health-based CareOS platform that delivers a whole range of wellness and beauty features. It offers up eye tests, stretching exercises, virtual try-on for beauty products, AR tutorials for hair styles and makeup techniques, teleconferencing options, an air quality tracker, 360 degree video capture, support for voice commands, and more.

An Ovis suitcase, meanwhile, is a suitcase that's designed to follow you through the airport so you don't need to drag it along. It looks like a normal suitcase, but it's outfitted with a host of sensors and cameras to allow it to avoid obstacles and people.

LG was on hand to show off a new microbrew machine that offers up capsules for beer on demand, sort of like a Keurig for beer. Of more interest to Apple users might be LG's ultralight $1700 17-inch Gram laptop, which offers a 17-inch display in an ultralight package. Apple used to offer a 17-inch notebook option, but has phased it out in favor of smaller 15-inch displays. LG's Gram weighs just 2.9 pounds despite that huge display.

Also of interest was a huge bread machine that can churn out loaves by the dozen. It's not for home use, of course, being aimed at restaurants, but it's neat to see in action.

Sphero was on hand too, showing off its new Sphero Specdrums, which you can purchase right now starting at $64.99. You put a Specdrum on your finger and then you can use it to tap on colors to turn them into music. Specdrums work with an included color board from Sphero, but you can also use them with any kind of colored object to make different sounds.

At its Sunday event, Samsung was showing off some of what it plans to debut at CES 2019, with a full media event scheduled for Monday afternoon. Samsung had its 4K 75-inch modular microLED TV on display, which was amazing, along with the full Samsung Wall that we saw last year.

Samsung Wall is a display that, as the name suggests, takes up an entire wall, but this year it features new functionality like customization options and a mode that emulates an entertainment system.

We also got to see Samsung's new Space Monitor in action, which is really quite neat. The Space Monitor, which is available in 4K, uses an arm clamp to attach to the back of a desk, freeing up valuable working space. When not in use, the display folds back against a wall. It comes in 27 and 32 inches, with the 32 inch model offering a 4K resolution.

Make sure to stay tuned to MacRumors this week for all of our ongoing CES coverage, because there's a lot more to come. We'll be highlighting all of the new products and accessories relevant to Apple users, and we'll also have more videos from each of the major shows. To check out our coverage so far, take a look at our CES 2019 hub.

Article Link: The Best of CES Unveiled 2019: Sphero's Specdrums, Artemis Smart Mirror, LG 17-Inch Ultralight Laptop and More

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
The Artemis Mirror, for example, runs a unique health-based CareOS platform that delivers a whole range of wellness and beauty features. It offers up eye tests, stretching exercises, virtual try-on for beauty products, AR tutorials for hair styles and makeup techniques, teleconferencing options, an air quality tracker, 360 degree video capture, support for voice commands, and more.

"Smart-Mirror Smart-Mirror on the wall. Who's the best looking Millennial of them all!"

Mirror: "It's not you. Too much Christmas ham. Hit the gym!"

chinito77

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2015
Japan
The health mirror is a neat idea. If it can integrate with Apple Health, I would buy it. Lots of good ideas displayed at CES but I'll skip on these 1 gen stuff.

Reactions: MDF314159265

snowboarder

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2007
Remember when Apple was actually the most innovative? Like actually creating new and exciting stuff?
I think they stopped as they felt no need to do anything but iPhones. It was the simplest and cheapest.
Why to invest in new R&D when you can sell 10,000 more iPhones just like that
and earn way more money without spending any?

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Remember when Apple was actually the most innovative? Like actually creating new and exciting stuff?
I think they stopped as they felt no need to do anything but iPhones. It was the simplest and cheapest.

"In fiscal year 2017, Apple spent $11.58 billion on research and development activities"

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
If you were worried about the connected home or your smart phone knowing too much...

“Now the connected bathroom expands to the hotel, salon or assisted home of the future.” (CareOS / smart mirror)

I’m not sure I could afford the smart mirror after buying an iPhone.... ;)

“The CareOS platform along with the Artemis smart mirror will be available the 2nd half of 2019 and will list at $20,000.”

Reactions: sunwukong

Azeroth1

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
Isn’t a can of beer already the equivalent of a Keurig cup for beer? I guess I need to read more details on that, must be missing something!

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
good job! and thanks for reporting on CES. You should go to the wearables section if any wearables are competitive to the Apple Watch. I was disappointed last year, but let's see what 2019 brings!

noraa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
I'll settle for a 15" without the Touch Bar...and while we are dreaming a smaller trackpad would be great

I'd be happy if they just allowed the Touch Bar to show the normal special keys by default, instead of having to tap the stupid arrow next to the shortened set of keys.

Also, love the large trackpad - but to each their own.
[doublepost=1546904667][/doublepost]Interesting the LG has a larger physical screen, but lower resolution than the 15" MBP. MBP is at 2880x1800 whereas the LG is at 2560x1600. With that being said, if you actually have the MBP display at 2880x1800, things are very, very teeny - and you need to use a 3rd party program to enable that resolution as the highest allowed via System Preferences is equivalent to 1920x1200. But, the point still remains.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR

Does it ever get old repeating the same tired script over and over and over again?

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
17 inch MacBook could certainly be lighter and thinner today. But I’m not sure I would want another one, with the power and simplicity of USB-C, and affordable monitors, the large laptop display seems unnecessary. Probably impractical to many business travelers too. Try using that on a plane today, LOL. I think I have come to love the 15 inch display.

elemenohme

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2014

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
If that ovis carry-on needs a battery, camera, a motor to drive it around plus a whole pile of other stuff you're probably over your carry-on weight allowance before you've put anything in it… like your other battery operated things like a laptop and tablet and so on. I can just imagine it being confiscated at security because you didn't take your electronics out of your carry-on. o_O

Reactions: MDF314159265

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
No need to, LG actually released it. All Apple needs to do now is add $1000 and certify it for macOS. Would sell like hotcakes.

Also, don't forget to throttle the chipset, ditch all the ports, solder all the parts together to eliminate upgradability, glue the entire thing together into a $5000 disposable blob. As cynical as I feel that is, I also suspect they know they can't get away with all that on such a grand scale, and, that inability to do so is why they don't do a 17".

Reactions: nt5672

Akagi

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2017
17 inch MacBook could certainly be lighter and thinner today. But I’m not sure I would want another one, with the power and simplicity of USB-C, and affordable monitors, the large laptop display seems unnecessary. Probably impractical to many business travelers too. Try using that on a plane today, LOL. I think I have come to love the 15 inch display.

The laptop has very thin bezels so it has only a slightly larger footprint than the 15 inch MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.