Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
A zero border screen as in the Sharp one, in practical use is not ideal.

Apple have always but practical use on equal measure with aesthetic considerations.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
A zero border screen as in the Sharp one, in practical use is not ideal.

Apple have always but practical use on equal measure with aesthetic considerations.

Agreed..... I was shocked to see that kind of article from a big publication like Wired.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Agreed..... I was shocked to see that kind of article from a big publication like Wired.

Haven't read the article so won't comment on the content but regardless, the article title screams click bait. It may very well all be true but considering the passion of many Apple fans, that title should send opinionated reader flocking to it to leave angry comments, which is of course the desired effect Wired.com is hoping for.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
MRU, Jamezr-- did you guys have luck pre-ordering?

I got my order in a 12:02 last through AT&T. I tried Apple but the store was down. The order on AT&T went through nice and smooth. Got my order confirmation email with shipping on the 17th or 18th for delivery on the 19th. Got the day off from work to make sure I get it! Now watch it come at like 6PM after I will have been pacing all day and worn a hole in my wood floors!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I got my order in a 12:02 last through AT&T. I tried Apple but the store was down. The order on AT&T went through nice and smooth. Got my order confirmation email with shipping on the 17th or 18th for delivery on the 19th. Got the day off from work to make sure I get it! Now watch it come at like 6PM after I will have been pacing all day and worn a hole in my wood floors!

Wow, lucky bastard!!

I mis-set my alarm, woke up at 3:30 EST, tried to get an order through for about an hour using 3 different devices, gave up at about 4:30-4:45 AM.

Some point early along the way I got the, 'We've reserved a phone for you' message (says can't connect with wireless carrier so they'll 'hold a reservation' for me), didn't think much would come of it. Woke up this morning to find an email confirming my 'reservation', got a 2nd email advising me I could now complete my reservation, went to the linked site and surprisingly, they let me make my purchase of an iPhone 6+ 64GB on AT&T---with a guaranteed delivery date of 9/19. :eek:

They botched the pre-order in typical fashion (seems to be the same experience more or less every year) but will give them a bit of credit on following through with these placeholder reservations and keeping their word to have it shipped based on where I was 'in line' originally.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Wow, lucky bastard!!

I mis-set my alarm, woke up at 3:30 EST, tried to get an order through for about an hour using 3 different devices, gave up at about 4:30-4:45 AM.

Some point early along the way I got the, 'We've reserved a phone for you' message (says can't connect with wireless carrier so they'll 'hold a reservation' for me), didn't think much would come of it. Woke up this morning to find an email confirming my 'reservation', got a 2nd email advising me I could now complete my reservation, went to the linked site and surprisingly, they let me make my purchase of an iPhone 6+ 64GB on AT&T---with a guaranteed delivery date of 9/19. :eek:

They botched the pre-order in typical fashion (seems to be the same experience more or less every year) but will give them a bit of credit on following through with these placeholder reservations and keeping their word to have it shipped based on where I was 'in line' originally.
I came prepared...I had Safari opened for Apple.com. I had Chrome open for AT&T.....whichever one came up first was going to get my order. AT&T came right up. Let me login gave me a page that said one of my lines was eligible for an upgrade. Went through the order process. Got the IP6 64GB black...it was so fast.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I came prepared...I had Safari opened for Apple.com. I had Chrome open for AT&T.....whichever one came up first was going to get my order. AT&T came right up. Let me login gave me a page that said one of my lines was eligible for an upgrade. Went through the order process. Got the IP6 64GB black...it was so fast.

I had a problem with an order through AT&T on a past pre-order and from experience, their ship times seem to push back faster than Apple's so I had no intentions of trying with them. Waking up a half hour late sure didn't help either.

All in all, everything worked out, wasn't going to be a big deal if I had to wait a few weeks so getting delivery next Friday was a bonus. Gonna go enjoy the rest of the weekend now. ;)

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Well imo that watch is disgusting, i don't know why someone will pay 350 for the base model :eek: can't imagine the expensive models will sell cause i don't see those holding their value overtime.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

That was me when iPhone 5 came out.

MBA, iPad, and iPhone all on standby.

I'm sitting out the frenzy this year. Though I will be in the store fondling the new models on launch day.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I know the ApplePay isnt anything innovative at all but I know that stores nationwide will trip over themselves to get into bed with Apple and actually make this new technology work.

Yes it is out there now but nowhere near the adoption rates we will see once Apple gets on bored.

For me that was a huge seller with how much I travel and I love the features for online and in person paying options.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Every time Apple do anything, you get tons of "Is this the end of Apple?" articles.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I know the ApplePay isnt anything innovative at all but I know that stores nationwide will trip over themselves to get into bed with Apple and actually make this new technology work.

Yes it is out there now but nowhere near the adoption rates we will see once Apple gets on bored.

For me that was a huge seller with how much I travel and I love the features for online and in person paying options.

Aye - the technology isn't new but the combination of various techs combined with typical Apple simplicity make Apple Pay a force.

Got my 6+ and my wife's 6 for delivery on 9/19. Was actually able to get my wife's 6 at lunch today as AT&T royally screwed me (took my preorder, then sent me an email about 45 minutes later saying they cancelled it because of some verification problem - Apple had no such problem though the app).

Now I'm just weighing my options for getting the 6 for myself. Apple.com has a 7-10 shipping estimate and I was planning on waiting in line anyhow....so I'll probably be there to pick up an unlocked 64GB Space Gray on launch day.

Still have the Moto X (2014) in the back of my mind too.....

As for the article, I read through some of it and its a lot of garbage. Some of the same arguments against larger displays that many of you guys here in the Alt section bash.

It's different for Apple. I think it's a good thing and about time they moved to a larger display. And I'm also of the mind that at $99/$149 ($549/$599) the 5S is still a fantastic option for those who don't want a bigger device.

Hell, the 5C is a great "free" phone. I can see them being deployed in enterprise situations.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

Unfortunately MCX is doing everything they can to crush NFC based pay solutions and even after this announcement some of their partner big box stores are pulling out of conforming to any NFC style system. Some of the partner's Apple and Google listed on their programs are actually part of MCX now and I fear they will probably ditch soon with pressure from the group or better deals.

The bad thing is that these stores have the hardware, CVS for example has NFC readers but when I tried to use them they did not work. This is because MCX is having that portion of the POS system disabled. Best buy (Another MCX Partner) had NFC readers in my area since 2011 but they have been disabled with "cost prohibitive" being cited as the reason they got turned off. I just don't buy that...

http://www.fierceretail.com/retailit/story/best-buy-7-eleven-disable-nfc/2014-03-26

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...rning-off-nfc-and-smartcard-payment-tech.html

Maybe Apple will push it the other way, maybe not as it seems Walmart has backed out according to recent reports.

I would like to be able to use Google Wallet more than I already do, however I have a feeling it will just get worse.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
I agree with the article somehow.
Zero bezels would make a device hard to use, but the bezels on the G3 are nice and no disadvantage on every day usage, but those bezels on the iPhone 6/6+ are just hideous and ugly.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I had success with the Apple Store App but I'm sorta regretting my purchase (6+ 64GB Space Grey).

First, I fear that the 6+ might be bigger than my OPO--cause of the bezels. Secondly, I feel like I'm being suckered by Apple; this iPhone is behind in specs in comparison to my OPO and I'm willing to bet, iOS 8 is the same ol' OS with nothing innovative.

I really hope I'm wrong.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Has that phone been released? How do you like using it?

No just read from bloggers hands on.

----------

MRU, Jamezr-- did you guys have luck pre-ordering?

No pre-ordering for Ireland. It merely is available to order from 26th September.

I tried to circumvent by ordering from UK Apple store and shipping to my forwarding address, but it told me estimated arrival was 29th sept - 2nd October. Therefore decided there was no tangible benefit, as i am away that week anyway.

----------

I had success with the Apple Store App but I'm sorta regretting my purchase (6+ 64GB Space Grey).

First, I fear that the 6+ might be bigger than my OPO--cause of the bezels. Secondly, I feel like I'm being suckered by Apple; this iPhone is behind in specs in comparison to my OPO and I'm willing to bet, iOS 8 is the same ol' OS with nothing innovative.

I really hope I'm wrong.

It is bigger than your opo.

http://mobiledevicesize.com/compare/#425,474;1

agupuvap.jpg

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy

I really hope I'm wrong.
Sadly you are not wrong, the iPhone 6+ is not only taler and wider, and it's havier, but hey it's thinner (if you get rid of the camera).

And IOS 8.....

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Not really shocking to read. Both new iPhone's are rather large when you consider their screen sizes. And the Watch looks similar to other smartwatches in the market.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008

I really hope I'm wrong.

Dont regret it.

There is a printout on the Verge of the 6+ where you print the actual phone size on paper. I placed my OPO inside it and it is almost identical width wise, going to be thinner, and just a tad taller.

I love the form factor of the OPO and worried about that as well but I can see these differences being very minimal especially if you are used to bigger devices.
Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.