Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The iPad is a giant iPhone

• Yes

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • No

Votes: 84 64.1%

• Total voters

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
There are things unique about the iPad, mostly the bigger screen. But iOS is effectively identical on the iPad and iPhone, and iPhone was launched 3 years before the iPad.

iOS is in many ways no different than Palm OS and Palm OS is in many ways no different than the Newton OS. A scaled down operating system with a grid of icons as the homescreen, card views within Apps, and sort of one task, one App approach.

Alaxlmartin

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2018
There are things unique about the iPad, mostly the bigger screen. But iOS is effectively identical on the iPad and iPhone, and iPhone was launched 3 years before the iPad.

iOS is in many ways no different than Palm OS and Palm OS is in many ways no different than the Newton OS. A scaled down operating system with a grid of icons as the homescreen, card views within Apps, and sort of one task, one App approach.

Of course it is. Because I use IOS, Since I got the 12.9 2015, it is beautiful. This 2018 Ipad will be stunning. Iphone needs to take notes and remove el fugly (Notch)
[doublepost=1541991538][/doublepost]
Of course it is. Because I use IOS, Since I got the 12.9 2015, it is beautiful. This 2018 Ipad will be stunning. Iphone needs to take notes and remove el fugly (Notch)

But also, it replaced my Clunky HP touchscreen laptop which flopped big time. Apple has the tablet market cornered.

Koh Phi Phi

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2017
I swear I saw this exact same thread back in 2010. :cool:

Me too, which is PRECISELY why the OP's question has relevance: as long as both devices share the same iOS, people will keep pondering what is indeed the difference between the two, other than size.

In order to put this dilema to rest for good, Apple needa to give the iPad Pro an enhance version of iOS

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Which is probably why Google dropped tablet development on the Android side in favor of ChromeOS and then adding Android app support to that instead. Coming from an old Android tablet, I love my gen 2 iPad Pro 12.9 but the mobile platform is admittedly limited in terms of workflow rigidity. Just the way it is.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Here’s a scientific list of things that are better when they are giant:

-Bank account balances
-Credit card limits
-Dollar bills
-Whiskey bottles
-Sandwiches
-Patience
-iPhones
-Gift cards

See? iPhones are on the list, which renders your point moot. Even when they’re giant they’re awesome.

Reactions: BrianSoCal

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I remember in 2010, Paul Thurrott called the original iPad an "over sized iPod Touch." Fortunately, with the current iOS 12.1, the iPad Air and newer that use a 64-bit A-Series SoC is way more than that!

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018

You’re right. I think Apple should add some features to make iOS on ipad trully different, like:

-Split-screen multitasking (maybe 3 apps at a time)
-Split-screen Safari
-Apps made specifically for the iPad
-Powerful processorrs and more RAM
-Powerful speakers to play the sick tunes the youths are listening to
-Support for external keyboards; hell, they could make a keyboard case

I don’t know, man. Apple hasn’t done any of this and the iPad is just a jacked up iPhone.

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
the
You’re right. I think Apple should add some features to make iOS on ipad trully different, like:

-Split-screen Safari

I don’t know, man. Apple hasn’t done any of this and the iPad is just a jacked up iPhone.

The multi-tasking, while nice to have, is, in many ways, clumsy and frustrating to use. Getting Apps into split screen or trying to drag a file from one location to another is like doing gymnastics; when compared to OS X, it's no contest from an efficiency, precision, speed, and productivity standpoint. And almost all of iOS is EXACTLY the same on the iPad as it is on the iPhone.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
If anything I wish my iPhone were more like my iPad...I’d love to have split screen multitasking and PIP on a big iPhone.

Reactions: subjonas

concept32

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2018

-Split-screen Safari

----
I do not think hardware is the current issue with the exception of trackpad support. Most everything is a limitation of the deficiencies of iOS. Granted it is expensive, it does support pencil, a keyboard, good speakers, a nice screen. Really sad Apple is not capable of enhancing iOS in a serious fashion over the past 8 years.

Reactions: Koh Phi Phi

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
the

The multi-tasking, while nice to have, is, in many ways I am clumsy and I get frustrated trying to use it. Getting Apps into split screen or trying to drag a file from one location to another is like doing gymnastics; when compared to OS X, it's no contest from an efficiency, precision, speed, and productivity standpoint. And almost all of iOS is EXACTLY the same on the iPad as it is on the iPhone.

I corrected it for you :) ^^

But no the iPad is not a giant iPhone, it is the other way around, the iPhone is a tiny iPad o_O

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
I corrected it for you :) ^^

But no the iPad is not a giant iPhone, it is the other way around, the iPhone is a tiny iPad o_O

How is multi-tasking on the iPad not clumsy in comparison to OS X.

iPad:

1. Swipe up to reveal the dock.
2. Hold your finger over an App in the Dock.
3. Drag (smear) your finger over the glass surface on an arc vector to place the App off the screen slightly.
4. Watch both Apps go opaque while they load (stutter).
5. Have two windows side by side on a relatively small screen, where one window is much more narrow than the other.
6. Hold your finger on the split line and smear to one side to get a 50/50 split.
7. Do the opaque shuffle and spin your partner round...

OS X

1. Slide one open window to the left.
2. Click another open window and slide it to the right so both windows are side by side.

OR

1. Hold the mouse button down on one windows green button.
2. Select another available window.

Last edited:

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
^Not that I don’t disagree that the iPad multitasking can be frustrating and not entirely fluid, you techically only need to do that setup once. I have my dock setup so that I never have to go to the home screen. I have a 50:50 split, and I just flick my apps from the dock into the two windows when I need them. With my 13” MacBook I use that Magnet app to create windows. I’m constantly dragging apps to the sides of the screen to make them conform. Not saying one is easier or less clumsy than the other, they’re just different. Multitasking on the iPad really is easy.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
the

The multi-tasking, while nice to have, is, in many ways, clumsy and frustrating to use. Getting Apps into split screen or trying to drag a file from one location to another is like doing gymnastics; when compared to OS X, it's no contest from an efficiency, precision, speed, and productivity standpoint. And almost all of iOS is EXACTLY the same on the iPad as it is on the iPhone.
I find split screen easier and more intuitive on the iPad compared to macOS. And no problem moving files in iOS. But, my use case and work flow may be drastically different from yours.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I swear I saw this exact same thread back in 2010. :cool:
Oh. You mean BEFORE we had 8 years worth of updates to refine the iPad and make it a far better machine, with features that differentiate it clearly from the iPad?

Yeah I know. Apparently op is a time traveler from 2010. Homie should binge watch iPad reviews on YouTube of the past 8 iOS updates

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.