Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dt990

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2020
Oregon
Looking over the best GPU options and I came across BareFeats with a modded AGP GeForce 6600 and there's little info. I was under the impression (probably falsely) this GPU only existed as a PCIe version for Macs.
Thanks to a member of the 'experimental graphics card' forum on StrangeDogs.com, we had a chance to test drive a GeForce 6600 GT (AGP) graphics card that had been modified to work on a G4 Power Mac with a 4X AGP slot. We used a G4/1.42MP Power Mac 'FW800' -- the last and best of that 'breed' -- to compare the GeForce 6600 GT to OEM and retail cards available for that model in the past and the present.

Sadly the link in the article doesn't work, nor does waybackmachine as it was a forum that required a login to view.

I assume two things are at play:
  • Need to use the NVFlash.exe on a PC to flash it with Mac Firmware
  • Need to perform 8x AGP mod of taping the pins for it to work.
Anyone have any info? Posted on Reddit too, will update here if I learn anything there.

https://barefeats.com/mutant.html

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't have any advice to offer you, but I did want to mention that for some time before retirement I had an NVIDIA GeForce 68000 GT fully functional in my Quicksilver.

1775-front.jpg

It was donated to me by a member here who was kind enough to ship it all the way from the UK to Phoenix. The story I have on this card was that it was unstable in any system OTHER than a Quicksilver. And the card I had bought for my QS shortly before this one (FireGL X3) does not work in the Quicksilver.

From some quick Google searches the suggestion is that the 6800 GT seems to have some advantages over the 6600 GT you mention. I know the 6800 GT works and I am fairly certain it was flashed, but I do not know the story on that.

PS. I shipped it off to another member here a few years back when I retired the QS.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I don't have any advice to offer you, but I did want to mention that for some time before retirement I had an NVIDIA GeForce 68000 GT fully functional in my Quicksilver.

View attachment 2352134

It was donated to me by a member here who was kind enough to ship it all the way from the UK to Phoenix. The story I have on this card was that it was unstable in any system OTHER than a Quicksilver. And the card I had bought for my QS shortly before this one (FireGL X3) does not work in the Quicksilver.

From some quick Google searches the suggestion is that the 6800 GT seems to have some advantages over the 6600 GT you mention. I know the 6800 GT works and I am fairly certain it was flashed, but I do not know the story on that.

PS. I shipped it off to another member here a few years back when I retired the QS.

And it is back in the same Quicksilver now :)

• Love
Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.