Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I feel like some of us might have been left out of the loop here; with the exception of two posts, you two have carried the entire thread. :p

I'm curious, what are the benefits of lugging an entire computer around for almost exclusively portable storage over a thumb drive or something of the sort?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I feel like some of us might have been left out of the loop here; with the exception of two posts, you two have carried the entire thread. :p

I'm curious, what are the benefits of lugging an entire computer around for almost exclusively portable storage over a thumb drive or something of the sort?
Ahhh…the pin to my proverbial balloon!

I am desperately seeking justification for having this iBook so I'm fabricating whatever "reason" I can to have it. The fact is that the Mac Pro at work has Dropbox installed and linked to my account so there's really not even a need for a thumb drive either.

I hold out hope that I might possibly need [want] to use Word to write a document while out, which is something you can't do with a thumb drive. But alas, I rarely do that and, well, uhm…the Mac Pro at work has Office 2011, so uhm…there's really not a need for that either.

So, to answer your question directly, there's no real benefit. :D

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

I think Erik just wanted a reason to have another Mac around to toy with.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Ahhh…the pin to my proverbial balloon!

I am desperately seeking justification for having this iBook so I'm fabricating whatever "reason" I can to have it. The fact is that the Mac Pro at work has Dropbox installed and linked to my account so there's really not even a need for a thumb drive either.

I hold out hope that I might possibly need [want] to use Word to write a document while out, which is something you can't do with a thumb drive. But alas, I rarely do that and, well, uhm…the Mac Pro at work has Office 2011, so uhm…there's really not a need for that either.

So, to answer your question directly, there's no real benefit. :D

I think Erik just wanted a reason to have another Mac around to toy with.

I had a feeling. ;) But I have no room to talk, I'm known for doing the same: "OK, this is my browsing computer, that one is my torrent machine, over there is the jukebox. Buried in a pile somewhere is my word processor, and in the corner...I think that one has a game I like or something. " :p

There's just something about these old machines that make you throw all logic and reason out the window in pursuit of owning one. :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I had a feeling. ;) But I have no room to talk, I'm known for doing the same: "OK, this is my browsing computer, that one is my torrent machine, over there is the jukebox. Buried in a pile somewhere is my word processor, and in the corner...I think that one has a game I like or something. " :p

There's just something about these old machines that make you throw all logic and reason out the window in pursuit of owning one. :D
LOL! Yeah. And I'm not even an iBook fan. I may have to revise that though as the iBook G4s seem to be growing on me somewhat.

Unfortunately, my wife still manages to hang on to her logic in regards to these Macs so at a certain point I get told "That's enough." LOL!!!! :D

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland

Definitely. Past few nights I've been working with my MacBook Pro but I've also had my PowerBook open next to me. "I need to have this here because I want a dedicated machine for listening to Spotify and the PowerBook speakers sound quite nice" was my reasoning :p

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
About the logic. Its the same with older people. They want a Buick or Cadillac since it was considered the most luxurious or it was considered the highest quality car when they were young. Same for us. The iMac was the computer to have (along with the PowerBook, iBook, PowerMac, Newton, eMate, etc).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.