Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sleep fitness company Eight Sleep today announced "The Pod," a smart bed that lets users control the temperature of their side of the bed through their iPhone. Not only that, but The Pod will dynamically warm or cool you (55 to 115 degrees Fahrenheit) as you sleep based on settings you enter in the app.

the-pod-3-800x533.jpg

The Pod does not support HomeKit and Eight Sleep has no plans to do so as of now. When we asked about HomeKit integration, the company pointed out that The Pod does support IFTTT, which opens up many smart home connection possibilities. The Pod also integrates with Alexa devices, Google Home, Philips Hue, Wemo products, and more. With these integrations, you can say things like "Alexa, cool down my bed" to prepare for nighttime.

This "smart temperature mode" is powered by machine learning and biofeedback, and is accompanied by a thermo alarm that leverages temperature to wake you up more naturally, without disturbing a sleep partner and without the need of a noisy alarm. This mode gradually cools your side of the bed in the minutes prior to the wake-up time you set on your iPhone.

the-pod-1-800x431.jpg

In addition, The Pod includes biometric tracking to monitor time slept, time to fall asleep, time of wake up, respiratory rate, heart rate, heart rate variability, temperature in bed, sleep breaks, light sleep, deep sleep, and REM sleep. All of this is fed into Eight Sleep's AI engine to calculate your "sleep fitness score" and rate your sleep each night.

You can then take this score to adjust your next night of sleep as needed, change settings in The Pod, and even compare scores with friends.

the-pod-2-800x533.jpg

Sleep monitoring has become a popular market over the past few years, and even Apple has shown interest in the technology by acquiring sleep tracking company Beddit in May 2017. Beddit is a slim sensor strip that you place over your existing mattress to monitor sleep stats like sleep time and efficiency, heart rate, respiration, temperature, movement, snoring, room temperature, and room humidity.

You can reserve Eight Sleep's Pod for $95 beginning today, and the remaining balance will be due at the time of shipping in April 2019. The Pod is available in Full ($1,995), Queen ($2,195), King ($2,495), and Cali King ($2,495), and each mattress will have a 100 night trial period with free returns.

Article Link: iPhone-Connected Mattress 'The Pod' Dynamically Adjusts Temperature as You Sleep

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Sitting back now to wait for the first story about one of these things going on the fritz and someone waking up to this thing on max temp.

NomadicTy

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2007
I'll need mine to keep me cool until it's time to wake up. If this work, it will be worth it for people with sleep problems.

I'd like to know the voltage of this pad, though. I don't think I can sleep well if it's running on 110 Volts.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
115°F? What in the literal hell.

I live someplace that often gets so cold it’s 65 F in the room when my thermostat is set to 80 F. The bed is fairly low to the ground, so I can imagine that some nights it might need to temporarily reach 115 F.

Reactions: Totemsflare

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Interesting. Too bandit's not available in twin size. No Homekit is strange in that it supports many other similar protocols. I wonder how things like weighted blankets affect it?
[doublepost=1550075445][/doublepost]
I'm curious, but only curious. No HomeKit integration is a deal breaker.
Agreed. Why would they release this without supporting Homekit out of the gate?
Especially when you factor in this this:
The Pod does support IFTTT, which opens up many smart home connection possibilities. The Pod also integrates with Alexa devices, Google Home, Philips Hue, Wemo products, and more. With these integrations, you can say things like "Alexa, cool down my bed" to prepare for nighttime.

Reactions: Mizhou

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
I am not sure we should keep outsourcing natural bodily functions to tech, proven or unproven. A healthy human body has a myriad of interconnected processes designed to maintain homeostasis, and if you pull yourself away from the proverbial noise, you might actually be able to listen to what your body is telling you.

The more technological and pharmaceutical wonders we introduce, the greater potential for throwing things out of whack. The human body, properly cared for, is a finely tuned machine with millennia of R&D. I'm not saying tech like this won't be helpful for fringe cases, but we are fooling ourselves if we think we can best nature at her own game after only a few hundred years of modern science.

Packdude

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
I could see setting it to 115° to get it to warm up quickly before going to bed, then lowering the temp. Other than that, I think it's odd that they don't want to offer HomeKit support. We are in the market for a new mattress, but I'm curious about things like how comfortable will this be, how noisy will it be, how much will it cost to operate on a monthly basis, etc. I might be interested down the road, but this is not something I'm interested in being an early adopter on.
[doublepost=1550076538][/doublepost]
I am not sure we should keep outsourcing natural bodily functions to tech, proven or unproven. A healthy human body has a myriad of interconnected processes designed to maintain homeostasis, and if you pull yourself away from the proverbial noise, you might actually be able to listen to what your body is telling you.

The more technological and pharmaceutical wonders we introduce, the greater potential for throwing things out of whack. The human body, properly cared for, is a finely tuned machine with millennia of R&D. I'm not saying tech like this won't be helpful for fringe cases, but we are fooling ourselves if we think we can best nature at her own game after only a few hundred years of modern science.

I agree, to a point. There are a lot of people that this could benefit based on their sleeping environment (Northern winter months, Southern summer months, partners with different comfort level than you, etc). I think it can be a benefit to more than just fringe cases, but I agree it is definitely not something that everyone needs.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You must not know any women. :p
You must not have dated many curvy women (no, I'm not saying fat, though I'm sure that is also true). They tend to get warm at night. My wife does. We actually bought a new bed last autumn and it has some sort of gel foam topper that wicks heat away from your body and it is NICE. I got a pillow that has some similar stuff in it and that has been fantastic. I now shower every other day unless I work out or am doing yard work. I used to get so sweaty at night.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
You must not have dated many curvy women (no, I'm not saying fat, though I'm sure that is also true). They tend to get warm at night. My wife does. We actually bought a new bed last autumn and it has some sort of gel foam topper that wicks heat away from your body and it is NICE. I got a pillow that has some similar stuff in it and that has been fantastic. I now shower every other day unless I work out or am doing yard work. I used to get so sweaty at night.

I've dated a variety of shapes and they've all been freezing, all of the time, regardless of weather, time of day, or layers of clothes, lol.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I live someplace that often gets so cold it’s 65 F in the room when my thermostat is set to 80 F. The bed is fairly low to the ground, so I can imagine that some nights it might need to temporarily reach 115 F.
It gets kinda cold here a few times per winter (down to around -10F). Last year I had a whole home humidifier installed and we've been able to run our temperature a lot lower in the house with higher humidity, so that might be an option for you. Also a passive whole home humidifier uses barely any power. But if your windows aren't very modern for insulation, you have to be careful of water and ice buildup on the window and sills. We have to turn it down some when it gets below zero. Have you done much work to improve your home insulation? I got a laser temperature gun on Amazon for $20-25 and went around my house finding areas where there were drafts and sealed them up. I also bought an Ecobee HomeKit thermostat that more intelligently heats and cools based on outside temperature and will learn how long it takes to pre-heat and helps keep the temperature higher before it gets colder at night.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
To be fair, Apple does not yet have a category for heated mattress or blanket.

The Pod appears to support HealthKit, so it's possible that lack of category may led to missing HomeKit support.

I suppose Eight Sleep could've repurposed thermostat category for this mattress product or maybe collaborate with Apple to expand the category.

Mizhou

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
Same here. I don't understand why they omitted only HomeKit/Siri, when they do have support for Alexa and Google Home. That's a no buy for me, until they support HomeKit, Siri and HealthKit too.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Same here. I don't understand why they omitted only HomeKit/Siri, when they do have support for Alexa and Google Home. That's a no buy for me, until they support HomeKit, Siri and HealthKit too.

That's exactly the rub for me. If they hadn't included any smart platform, that would have been one thing.
[doublepost=1550083361][/doublepost]
To be fair, Apple does not yet have a category for heated mattress or blanket.

The Pod appears to support HealthKit, so it's possible that lack of category may led to missing HomeKit support.

I suppose Eight Sleep could've repurposed thermostat category for this mattress product or maybe collaborate with Apple to expand the category.

That would have made sense to me.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
It gets kinda cold here a few times per winter (down to around -10F). Last year I had a whole home humidifier installed and we've been able to run our temperature a lot lower in the house with higher humidity, so that might be an option for you. Also a passive whole home humidifier uses barely any power. But if your windows aren't very modern for insulation, you have to be careful of water and ice buildup on the window and sills. We have to turn it down some when it gets below zero. Have you done much work to improve your home insulation? I got a laser temperature gun on Amazon for $20-25 and went around my house finding areas where there were drafts and sealed them up. I also bought an Ecobee HomeKit thermostat that more intelligently heats and cools based on outside temperature and will learn how long it takes to pre-heat and helps keep the temperature higher before it gets colder at night.

So my first issue is that I rent, so my willingness to do any improvements to lower my utility costs need to have a fairly immediate (or can be transferred) return on investment. I did pick up a few humidifiers and those run 24/7 and have yet to see any condensation issues.

I can’t justify improving the insulation, but I do replace the furnace filter regularly and put up thermal curtains. I also moved our server into the bedroom which tends to add about 5 F to its side of the room.

I’d considered a smart thermostat, but the landlord didn’t like the idea I installed a doorbell. (Seriously.)

Reactions: macduke
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.