Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
bought a 13" 8gb mba....

it feels big....

what do you think about the 11"
My MBA purchases have been as follows:

Rev C: 13"
Rev D: 11"
Rev E: 11"
Rev D: 13"

Personally I am still torn. I buy a new MBA each year, and waterfall my 1 year old machine within the family. I could use either... right now I am using the 13"... but there are definitely tradeoffs.

The nice thing is that I use the MBA as a stateless machine. Everything is synchronized via some cloud service (iCloud, Dropbox, IMAP, etc). So... if I pick up my wife's 11" MBA, and log into my login... then it is identical to my machine in every way (except weight and size). Likewise, if she logs into her account on my MBA, she has her entire environment. It comes in handy when only one of us has our machine with us.

/Jim

Calot

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
bought a 13" 8gb mba....

it feels big....

Battery life is not an issue? You get 2 more hours with the 13".

Also, I think it's better for working on Office documents. The fullscreen function gives you a LOT of space.

If you just use it occasionaly for websurfing and DON'T watch movies on it, then the 11" would be nice.

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
Battery life is not an issue? You get 2 more hours with the 13".

Also, I think it's better for working on Office documents. The fullscreen function gives you a LOT of space.

If you just use it occasionaly for websurfing and DON'T watch movies on it, then the 11" would be nice.

even then the 11" would be fine for watching movies. Just not 3 in a row.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yep

I went from a 13" MBP to an 11" MBA and I love it.

Battery life is slightly annoying, but not terrible.

I also find myself more likely use full screen and navigate it almost iOS like.

chacolo

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2012
Go for it !
I have an 11 inch and it is just perfect. The screen is more than sufficient and I never connect an external display (even so I have a spare 26 inch in my office ;) ).

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
For someone who is mostly stationary like me, who already has a 27" iMac, don't ask me why I still returned my 13" Air in favour for the 11" flavour. There's something magical about its footprint that pulls me in. The 13" feels like any other laptop, it's thin but still large. The Air represents ultra portability, and the 11" represents that, not the 13".

I love the ultraportability factor. In my Sena folio case, I can bring it with me anywhere on a whim. When I am out and about, 4hrs of light use is more than enough for me.

If it's your primary machine then I'm more inclined to steer you towards the 13", but as a secondary machine the 11" is just perfect imo.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
Man it is a tough one, I have had both and eventually went to the 13" MBA

BUT, if money were no issue, I would probably have both...
The 11" is the ultimate for travel and taking places
The 13" gives the better battery and a bigger screen and more stuff

I did recently take the 13" on a plane, and it was good, but the 11" would have fit better...again, having both is not crazy, in fact I may eventually get an 11" at the refurb store.

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks
I went with the 11 due to the fact that i'm on the road a lot for business and it is (imho) ideal for airtravel, but that being said...there are times i wish i had a 13" when staying over for a week or two

currently have a 2012 11" but am always looking for a refurb 13 in the store

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I think the 13" is perfect. I brought a couple of coding projects (Eclipse IDE) to my local Best Buy and the 11" was too crowded for my liking...the 13" is still a little crowded, but much more workable.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
A personal decision

Whether 11" or 13" is really a personal decision. Best if you can go to a store and spend a couple of hours with it.

Am set for the 11" because I've been using a 12.1" Wintel for 10 years and at that time I pronounced it as the perfect compromise size-wise (this thread) is concerned. So the 11" is already .5" wider than my current, and the 13" is another 1.5" , the decision is made.

If it spends lots of time on your lap, take it with your wherever you go, then probly the 11" If it spends lots of time on your desk, probly the 13"

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I love the 11 inch for portability and periodically connect it to a large display for when I feel it's necessary. Certain processes I do benefit from the added space while reducing tedium.

dbdynsty25

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
I had a 13" MBP for 3 years and went with the 11" Air last year and I enjoyed using it for a few months but ultimately it is too small to be my only laptop. I held out for a good seven months until I finally had enough (and had three fantasy football drafts to do, lol), so I upgraded to a rMBP 15". If there was a 13" I would have gone that way and I struggled with the rMBP/13" Air decision for about a week and ultimately resolution won out. If picking between Airs, definitely get the bigger one.

The way I look at it...it's like buying a TV...you can always deal with too big because you can always make things smaller on the screen. You can't make the device bigger tho! (yes I know it's a stretch, but it's the way I looked at it)

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
I'd pick the 13" any day, it's palm rests are comfortable, the 11" is just very very tiny and its palm rests are more suitable for small persons with small hands - like children.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
For me, the 11" is sexier but the 13" ticks a lot more boxes. The latter is more important in the long run (hence mine is 13"). But it all comes down to your preferences and usage patterns.

bubbleboyjones

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2010
The way I look at it...it's like buying a TV...you can always deal with too big because you can always make things smaller on the screen. You can't make the device bigger tho! (yes I know it's a stretch, but it's the way I looked at it)

lol...Buying a laptop is nothing like buying a tv. I got news for you, if you buy a device too big then you can't make it smaller either. I have a 16.4" Vaio that weighs almost 7 pounds. My 11" Air runs circles around that thing in terms of overall use.

Yes with TVs you almost always buy bigger than you think because they stay stationary for years and your concern is just screen size and quality. Laptops have nothing in common with them. An iMac maybe but not a laptop.

----------

I'd pick the 13" any day, it's palm rests are comfortable, the 11" is just very very tiny and its palm rests are more suitable for small persons with small hands - like children.

This is still a bit of concern about the 11" for me. When I first started using it I found it a bit cramped. I am though warming up very fast to it.

----------

bought a 13" 8gb mba....

it feels big....

This is funny but I just got the 11" 8gb mba and was thinking for a second that it was a bit cramped when I first got it and maybe I should have gotten the 13". I find myself liking it more everyday though.

Mopar

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Tough decision. I've got an 11" and my wife has a 13". I swapped a 15" MBP for an 11" MBA and don't miss the MBP at all.

If you carry your laptop around all day, or you spend a lot of time on planes, or simply like to surf on the couch or type away with your laptop on your . . . er, lap, then the 11" is ideal.

If your laptop spends most of its time on a desk, or you really need extended battery life, or you do a lot of photo editting on the go, the 13" is probably better. It kills the 11" battery-wise.

I chose the 11" because I needed a laptop I could take anywhere, anytime and work on the road. We have an external monitor and keyboard at home, so it doubles as a desktop. No problem there.

However, battery life is my biggest criticism of the 11" - if it had better battery life and a built-in sim card slot like an iPad for connecting to mobile networks, it would be the ultimate road warrior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.