Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 10 lets Siri work with third-party apps for the first time, enabling a whole range of features the personal assistant is able to help with, from summoning an Uber to sending cash to sending a message via WhatsApp.

Ahead of the launch of the new operating system update, The Wall Street Journal's Nathan Olivarez-Giles was able to go hands-on with some of the apps that will support Siri and give a little more insight into how the feature will work in practice.

sirithirdpartyintegration.jpg

After using the feature, Giles called Siri support for third-party apps "long-overdue" and a factor "important to making Siri more useful in everyday life." He was able to test apps for sending mobile payments, image search and messaging, but Siri will also support ride booking apps like Uber, VoIP calling apps like Skype, and workout apps. Giles says asking Siri to perform tasks was "quicker than launching the app" and carrying out the task himself.

As has been previously described by Apple, Siri commands like "Siri, send Catherine $20 for lunch with Square Cash" or "Send Jim a Message in LinkedIn" work in iOS 10, and with the former, security is maintained with Touch ID authentication. Commands vary from app to app and Siri support can also be built into watchOS 3 apps.
Strings can get even more specific. For instance: "Siri, show me photos of what Kanye West wore to the VMA awards this year in Looklive." This command pulled up pictures of the rapper's wardrobe, along with links to buy what he was wearing, in the celebrity shopping app. In most of these demos, Siri carried out the task without opening the app itself. Instead, a card, styled like the app, appeared with the details of the action.
According to Giles, some of the first apps to integrate with Siri in the chat, mobile payments, and photos categories will include LinkedIn, WhatsApp, WeChat, Slack, Square Cash, Monzo, Pinterest, Vogue Runway, Looklive, The Roll and Pikazo. Apple has previously said apps like Lyft, Uber, and Fandango will be compatible with Siri, along with CarPlay-specific apps.

Not all apps will work with Siri, but Apple has plans to expand the app types that can interface with the personal assistant in the future. When iOS 10 launches, the following app categories will have the option to enable Siri support: ride booking, messaging, photo search, payments, VoIP calling, and workouts.

Apple has limited SiriKit to certain kinds of apps in order to keep a tight rein on privacy, control the Siri experience, and develop Siri's understanding of language and context. Apple has promised that third-party apps are only privy to the specific data necessary to perform a requested function, keeping user information locked down.

Siri support for third-party apps is baked into iOS 10 and will be available as soon as the new operating system launches to the public in September. Apps will need to update to support the new feature, but many companies are undoubtedly planning launch day updates to be among the first to work with Siri.

Article Link: Third-Party Siri Support in iOS 10 'Long-Overdue' and 'Useful in Everyday Life'

Reactions: appledefenceforce

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Need to be able to set timers for homeKit activities. e.g. "Water my front yard for 10 minutes"

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Google Now still doesn't have an open API of any kind.

With Google Now, everything is controlled by Alphabet, Inc.

If you advertise with Google, your restaurant logo (e.g.) will appear on Google Maps. If you don't, it doesn't, making the user think that your business doesn't even exist, because other similar business are marked on the map.

Isn't an API for Google Now and Google Maps (and Google Allo while we are at it), also long overdue?

Slowpoke media like WSJ should leave tech coverage and analysis to those who know what they are talking about.

Reactions: appledefenceforce

Nalmond92

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
UK
But I couldn't use Siri to get accurate news when the Olympic was on. I still can't ask about specific calendars!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Sure, but it understood the name Michael Jackson properly; it's just looking in the wrong place.

It's going to be a mess when other apps start integrating into Siri.

Oh yeah, I ain't hating, just wondering why that was the case.

You're absolutely right; it's going to be bitterly confusing when other apps get in the fold.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sure, but it understood the name Michael Jackson properly; it's just looking in the wrong place.

It's going to be a mess when other apps start integrating into Siri.
Seems like while some have issues with it others do not.

Reactions: dk001

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Put a test jackson as well, that's what I got:

If you add a birthday to the Test Jackson, it'll come up with the Test one instead.

I admit it's a niche problem; and again I'm not hating. Just saying that it's probably why the problem happened, as they had two 'Jackson' surnames in their contact list with birthdays added.

Reactions: tk421

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Seems like while some have issues with it others do not.

Nah, it's just if you have a surname with 'Jackson' in your contact list, with a birthday added, it will always bring up the contact one; even if the name is different.

You can test it out by adding a new contact with <any first name> & Jackson as the surname, then add a fake birthday, and it'll happen each time when you ask Siri.
[doublepost=1472595476][/doublepost]
Siri, send 14 billion dollars to the EU.

"I'm sorry, I didn't understand 'tax evasion'. Would you like me to search the web?"

patrickbarnes

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
This article really needs to point out that Siri is enabled for a very narrow set of pre-defined use cases which only some apps can use.

Reactions: dk001

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Google Now still doesn't have an open API of any kind.

With Google Now, everything is controlled by Alphabet, Inc.

If you advertise with Google, your restaurant logo (e.g.) will appear on Google Maps. If you don't, it doesn't, making the user think that your business doesn't even exist, because other similar business are marked on the map.

Isn't an API for Google Now and Google Maps (and Google Allo while we are at it), also long overdue?

Slowpoke media like WSJ should leave tech coverage and analysis to those who know what they are talking about.

Google will never do that, because then they can't sell your information for ads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.