Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thePurpleGiant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2004
A few of the latest developments over at The Dashboarder:

New release just yesterday of 'Capture', a screen capture widget that lets you quickly grab a screenshot in any graphic format, with or without the dashboard showing.:

capture.gif

------------

Over on the forums there is a new Gmail Notifier being worked on, with a few design options put forward:

ggg.jpg

gmailgadget2.jpg

At this stage it appears that it will have skinning support when released.

------------

Also in the forums, the widget mockup thread for new widgets has produced some great results:

Google.png

low.png

calc2.png

severe.png

------------

Enjoy!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
im likeing the gmail notifier and the screen capture.... heres to hoping that Tiger is released before any of us expect!!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Just had a glance at The Dashboarder...

Have gone from lukewarm about Tiger to pretty keen in about 60 seconds...

Now I get it! :eek:

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I like the Google search and the Screen Capture one.

This is gonna rock. I want Tiger January 1st, 2005. That would be really cool. :cool: But the rumor mill says June. :(

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
mmm...they look good. i really cant wait for tiger. i think dashbord will be really useful and another of those things that will really impress my non mac freinds!

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Wow these gadgets have got me even more excited about Tiger, I'm sure a lot more cool gadgets are going to be released once Tiger hits the shelves. These look a lot better than Apple's offerings! :p

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Check out the website, there are some great gadgets over there and all before Tiger is even released. Looks like this is going to be one of the first places I visit after getting Tiger...how many gadgest can Dashboard deal with?! :D
Konfab...who?! ;)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Blue Velvet said:
It's very funny... a bit of eye-candy and we're all swept along in a giddy rush!

The point is these gadgets make an eye candy feature (Dashboard) into something useful, not the other way round.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
munkle said:
The point is these gadgets make an eye candy feature (Dashboard) into something useful, not the other way round.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not dissing this, just thought a few pix were getting some fevered reactions... I include myself in this as well.
:)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Blue Velvet said:
Don't get me wrong... I'm not dissing this, just thought a few pix were getting some fevered reactions... I include myself in this as well.
:)

Sorry didnt mean to come across as catty, and I agree with you :) I'm just excited that there are some pretty cool gadgets being made before Tiger has even been released yet. As someone who wasn't that impressed with Konfabulator (haven't tried it since they introduced Konspose) I initially dismissed Dashboard as a 'toy' feature, these gadgets have made me realise that Dashboard could prove to be pretty useful.

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
cool, but does anyone have a larger version of the capture gadget? its a bit small to see. But the gmail thing is very cool, i thought that the whole gadget thing would be a waste of time for me and that i wouldn't end up using many (if any) of them but i'll be using that gmail one for sure.

My money's on an (end of) February or March release date. :D

*Y*

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2004
VA
Those Gadgets Look Awsome

I have checked out the site and some of those gadgets look really cool. Like the Bash Gadget for example. I can't wait till Tiger is released. :p

thePurpleGiant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2004
stevehaslip said:
cool, but does anyone have a larger version of the capture gadget? its a bit small to see

Sure:

capture.jpg

And just in case you guys aren't visiting the forums over there, a few more designs have been appearing over the past few days:

Drop.png

ups-2.png

DHL2.png

1-setup.jpg

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
Some of these do look cool and useful, but I'm still puzzled by the useless-ness of some of them.

Like the Google search gadget. Why not just open up Safari and use it's own Google search box? I assume that after you use the Google gadget, it launches Safari anyways.

Still, there's some potential for some cool gadgets. The first I will definitely get is one for the current temperature. I always go to weather.com every morning to check what the temperature is like before leaving for class. It would be nice to just trigger Dashboard real quick and glance at the current temp.

honeytoast

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2004
bay area, CA
Gherkin said:
Some of these do look cool and useful, but I'm still puzzled by the useless-ness of some of them.

Like the Google search gadget. Why not just open up Safari and use it's own Google search box? I assume that after you use the Google gadget, it launches Safari anyways.

Still, there's some potential for some cool gadgets. The first I will definitely get is one for the current temperature. I always go to weather.com every morning to check what the temperature is like before leaving for class. It would be nice to just trigger Dashboard real quick and glance at the current temp.

You should download weatherdock from versiontracker .

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
Gherkin said:
Why not just open up Safari and use it's own Google search box? I assume that after you use the Google gadget, it launches Safari anyways.
what if safari isn't your main web browser, this gadget probably allows you to set your default as well, pretty funny that you have to set up your default web browser (for the operating system) by launching safari. welcome M$ reincarnation... :mad:

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Very nice. Dashboard its self will be enough for me to upgrade. I like Konfabulator, but it takes up sooo much HD space, and Ram, Hopefully Dashboard won't.

TEG

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area

I have to agree. Dashboard seems like one of those things that seems like a good idea in theory, but nobody will ever use it. Like Sherlock. Who uses that thing--ever? And what makes Dashboard any different?

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
jamdr said:
I have to agree. Dashboard seems like one of those things that seems like a good idea in theory, but nobody will ever use it. Like Sherlock. Who uses that thing--ever? And what makes Dashboard any different?

ok i'll explain how i'll use a couple of these just to give you an idea.

Calculator. how many times have i been coding something or whatever and needed quick access to a calculator to test a few things? quite frequently so i toss the calculator widget or gadget onto the dashboard and it waits for me when i need it. smack the dashboard button and i'm in business, hit the button again and it's gone waiting for the next time i need it. (granted quicksilver does with a plugin do calculations, but i'd prefer a scientific calculator for dashboard, and i'm sure someone will do this eventually, if not i will myself)

Weather. while not as useful as the calculator it would be nice to have this readily available in a weekly format, so i could keep tabs on the weekly weather.

Stickies. Ok, i LOVE using the stickies program that comes with OS X, but i hate having to hit command-H to hide them since they do get in the way sometimes only to have to muck around to find them again (though not hard) i just prefer to have them readily available only when i need them. i'd use this quite a bit too. hit the button, they show up, hit it again, they are gone.

i am sure that once developers get their hands on Tiger you'll see some even more creative ideas popping out. I want Tiger for dashboard, i have refused to buy konfob because i knew this was coming out in tiger and i didn't like the system "requirements" for konfob and i'm hoping that dashboard isn't near as heavy system wise.

It's a great idea, some will use it some won't, but i wouldn't say that it's useless or anything. i will use it quite frequently just for those 3 mentioned above.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Logik said:
ok i'll explain how i'll use a couple of these just to give you an idea.

Don't forget calendar and world clocks. I think Dashboard is a great idea and well implemented, allowing you to have access to lots of information at a click without getting in your way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.