Time Machine - Lost/Missing Music Files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rossagues, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Rossagues macrumors regular

Rossagues

I have a WD My Book 3TB External Desktop Hard Drive.

I recently reformatted my MacBook Pro and clean installed OS X Mavericks on the machine. Before this I FULLY backup my HDD keeping all my data from my previous machine.

I used Time Machine to put back all of my music folder. The music folder is 84.4GB in size and it all copied over perfectly.

But when I open iTunes all of my movies, music are missing files and when I go to the original files in Finder > Music > iTunes Music there are no .MP3 files in the folders all either 0KB in size or files with just the album artwork .JPEGS left.

Despite there being NO MUSIC my music folder is still 84.4GB in size yet there are no files to be seen. The music folder just contains empty folders and .JPEGs of album artwork, but no music!

I've previewed all the back ups i've ever done on the machine and it seems .MP3 files are nowhere to be seen.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Rossagues

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you try manually copying the Music folder from your Time Machine backup to your home directory?

Also try navigating within Finder to the TM Backup and locate your music folder and see if the your music is there.

It should be in Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music

3. voelie macrumors newbie

I had exactly the same problem , some music files gone with the jpegs in place
    there is something strange going on here
    Luckily for me I always have 2 backups , one onsite with time machine and one offsite with rsync
    in this case I would have been screwed relying on time machine

no matter where I look on the backup drive , oldest back to newest backup , everywhere are the same files missing
    now I formatted the backup drive and made the backup again from scratch and everything seems fine again

4. Lambergr, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014

Lambergr macrumors newbie

In my case it's because I excluded "Music" in Time machine... my mistake....