Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Most of the time I have a handle on what is going on with my iMac.........if not I ask questions here on the forum.

I noticed what I believed to be burnout pixels about 18 on my screen so made an appointment with Apple service. Took it in to the store, waited in line for my appointment time. Put the iMac on the service desk and the tech looking at the screen, pointed to several of the blue and red spots on the screen. Said is that what you are having trouble with? He then pickup a cleaning cloth and wiped them off. Said it was oil of some kind that had gotten on my screen. I never even thought of wiping those spots, just believed it was some burned out pixels.

Felt like a fool and deserved the DAH award for the year. Live an learn the hard way, maybe this will help others who think as I did. Still don't know how the oil spots got there.

So have a laugh on me.

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
LOL
:D

that felt good, thanks!

I was happy they did not need to tear into my system for when that happens, it's like fixing a wrecked car.........things just never seem like new again.

I am happy too. It was a fun visit!

benjai

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2009
I got my wife a Chanel handbag for Christmas which cost more than my new 27" iMac. Then had to go back to the shop because there was a scratch on it. Assistant took a cloth and rubbed it right off....

Choctaw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
I got my wife a Chanel handbag for Christmas which cost more than my new 27" iMac. Then had to go back to the shop because there was a scratch on it. Assistant took a cloth and rubbed it right off....

When these type of things occur in life it points out the fact that what we see, what others tell us, even our own thoughts can be no more than deception.

Reality is an individual occurrence. Based on the ability of each of us to evaluate what really is going on, verses what we think is going on. Bottom line in my view is that our senses are not always perfect in what they tell us.

The burn out pixels I thought were on my computer screen should have prompted me to at least consider wiping off the screen. I was brain washed into thinking along the lines of reading on the web about the many people who did in face have burned out places on screen, thus I followed that lead and was foolishly wrong. End of message. At least I have learned to check out that type of occurrence before wasting Apple's genius crew and their supposedly exceptional fix-it qualities. The thought did come to mind that if my system were not in warranty...................they might have told me a different story and billed me a bunch to replace a graphic card. Just a possibility, depending on the honesty of the store, which is not always up front as told by some patrons I know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.