Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 2, 2020
I have both machines at hand, both are awesome...hard time to decide which one to keep :(

Which one would you keep and why?

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
The pros/ cons of each have been covered extensively here, and you have one of each in your hands. Can you specify exactly what is confounding you? Might help us give more targeted advice.

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 2, 2020
If I will ever need the fan :) That is the the only thing making me think about the MBP at this point.

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
You'll benefit from the fan if you run sustained high-utilization workloads such as with video editing. For routine web browsing, productivity apps, etc. the fan will likely never turn on. I went with the MBP because I plan to run FCP on it.

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
For me, with the performance being so close between the two - I would be thrilled to have a fan-less Mac. I owned a MacBook 12 for a little while, and I really loved the fact that it was always completely silent. To be able to achieve that with the performance of the M1 is close to a miracle, in my eyes.

Obviously, it comes down to if you find value in the Touch Bar and whether you prefer having a fan or not.

Personally, for myself, I would pick the MBA and never look back.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
I had both as well, and I decided in favor of the MBP. There's more than just the fan. You also get:

• Significantly better screen. Not only higher brightness, but also better black level and contrast ratio. This was very noticeable to me after using both.
  • Touch Bar. This is a pro for me, a con for others. But I love the Touch Bar.
  • Bigger battery. Lasts about 30% longer than the MBA at similar brightness.
  • Better microphone. Very noticeable from all the YouTube comparisons I watched on this.
  • Better keyboard. Debatable, as some prefer the MBA, although I've really grown to love the tactile feedback from the MBP keyboard.
  • Better speakers. Also debatable, as some say the MBA speakers are louder, but according to Apple they are better quality. I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference.

Last edited:

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
I went with the Air because it's fan-less, $250 cheaper, and 95% of the time they will both be the same speed. If I really wanted the sustained performance, the Mac mini is actually the best choice as it has much larger fan and heat sink. I have a 15" 2018 so really the Air is mostly a "kick the tires" purchase. Once the 16" comes out I'll sell my old 15" and the Air will continue to be my couch surfer. I've actually enjoyed using it more than my iPad with Magic Keyboard as it is more stable in the lap.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
You'll benefit from the fan if you run sustained high-utilization workloads such as with video editing. For routine web browsing, productivity apps, etc. the fan will likely never turn on. I went with the MBP because I plan to run FCP on it.
I'm wondering if that will somewhat change during the summer months.

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
I came to this thread wondering the same thing.
Reading the comments I'm summarising what is being said as - if you are planning on video editing then MBP.
Otherwise MBA is sufficient.
Compiling on XCode is about as CPU intense as I get but it doesn't need the long haul grunt that Video editing does.
My projects typically compile in about 30s on my 2017 iMac (quad core i7 4.2GHz) from clean and in about 5s for subsequent compiles. The Air should be just fine I think for the rare times I'm on the move and need to compile.
Touch bar is the only plus I can see and since I've never used it I don't miss what I've never had.
Right now I'd say the Mac Mini M1 is king for desktop for your money and MBA for on the move.
The MBP looks like a desktop/laptop compromise price point.
So maybe upgrade your laptop to a MBA and wait, and save, for what ever Apple releases next for the desktop.

Reactions: 1240766 and MacBird

SlickVik

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2003
I had both as well, and I decided in favor of the MBP. There's more than just the fan. You also get:

• Significantly better screen. Not only higher brightness, but also better black level and contrast ratio. This was very noticeable to me after using both.
  • Better microphone. Very noticeable from all the YouTube comparisons I watched on this.
  • Better keyboard. Debatable, as some prefer the MBA, although I've really grown to love the tactile feedback from the MBP keyboard.
  • Better speakers. Also debatable, as some say the MBA speakers are louder, but according to Apple they are better quality. I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference.

I just decided between these two - just couldn't get myself to like the Air after having experienced the Pro side-by-side. The speakers and keyboard were better, the battery lasts longer, and the brighter screen is much nicer. Even though I hate the Touch Bar and would much prefer not to have it, the other niceties overrode having to put up with it. The Pro is just a more polished machine, and in my case it was purely the hate for the Touch Bar and potential fan-less-ness that the Air was even in the running.

Reactions: 1240766

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 2, 2020
It is a hard decision. I write code once in a while for POCs, I am an Enterprise Architect. Code is mostly Java / Springboot / NodeJS

The battery and the fan are a ++ for me on the MBP, the absence of the Touch Bar and form factor are ++ on MBA.... money is not a consideration on this decision at all. Right now I am typing this on the MBA.

The screen, honestly I see no difference for my use...completely satisfied with the MBA as far as screen goes.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
It is a hard decision. I write code once in a while for POCs, I am an Enterprise Architect. Code is mostly Java / Springboot / NodeJS

The battery and the fan are a ++ for me on the MBP, the absence of the Touch Bar and form factor are ++ on MBA.... money is not a consideration on this decision at all. Right now I am typing this on the MBA.

The screen, honestly I see no difference for my use...completely satisfied with the MBA as far as screen goes.
It's hard to imagine what kind of enterprise development is going to stress an M1 to need a fan. I've built dozens of open source projects on my M1 MBA and it barely heats up. Java and Javascript/Typescript are going to use even less in most cases. You need 100% load on all performance cores for minutes to even start seeing any throttling and the GPU probably isn't going to be a factor. Battery life might be a slight consideration but I easily get over 10 hours when doing development and more if I'm using an external monitor with the MBA in clamshell mode.

For development, choose based on the form factor--for me, I love the MBA's tapered design for typing--and other things like screen quality, the bigger trackpad, the Touch Bar (for or against), and audio quality.

Reactions: 1240766 and OldMike

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
The only other difference that might have not been mentioned is the wedge shape on the Air. Some think it is more comfortable to type with, and some do not.

If money is not a concern, then you are in good shape to pick whichever one feels the most comfortable to you. Sounds like battery and fan might be what puts you over the line for the MBP.

You can't go wrong either way.

Reactions: Populus and 1240766

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I went with the MBA, the screen looked great and I’m sure the battery will be much better than my early 2015 13” rMBP. I saved a bunch of money and don’t have to deal with the touchbar.

Reactions: Populus and 1240766

lightfire

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2017

Totally agree.I dont know if it was unit specific, but the Pro versus the Air I had was very noticeable with screen and speakers.I definitely could tell the difference in loudness and intelligibility of the speakers, so perhaps these do vary. The screen was simply better on the pro, but again, I dont know if that is unit variability. Sent the Air back.

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 2, 2020
Thanks for all who replied. The MBP is packed and ready to go tomorrow morning, keeping the Air. It boiled down to the form factor and the Touch Bar to be totally honesty....small things on Touch Bar really annoy.

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 2, 2020
I'm wondering if that will somewhat change during the summer months.

I can't really see how it would. I mean, in my house and office the temperature is always on low 70s (70-73) during the winter or summer (sometimes goes to 69 at night during the summer :)).... I don't see anyone really seating outside on 100+ degrees for a few hours working under the sun...under a shade yes, but then the temperature still is comfortable.... that of course is my opinion.

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I can't really see how it would. I mean, in my house and office the temperature is always on low 70s (70-73) during the winter or summer (sometimes goes to 69 at night during the summer :)).... I don't see anyone really seating outside on 100+ degrees for a few hours working under the sun...under a shade yes, but then the temperature still is comfortable.... that of course is my opinion.
During summer, it’s common I work at 25+ degrees outside :) especially with COVID ?

Reactions: 1240766
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.