Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Wouldn't it be great if someone could come up with a TV-B-Gone type app?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I wonder if some kind of IR adapter could be modded and then an app used to control it. Wouldn't that be something?

DavieBoy

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2009
New Jersey
What we need is a wifi/wireless receiver that then shoots out IR from IR blasters like Tivo does if you have a cable box.

In a way you could now control your cable box using your iphone. I got the tivo remote app which I use to tell tivoHD to change a channel. I believe that if you have tivo series 3 that is not HD that you would tell the tivo to change the channel and it would tell your cable box to change.

What you & I am looking for is a device that would to that portion of a Tivo's job but for all of our components. Would end up being a cheap way to create a house wide entertainment system that can be controlled anywhere in the network.

FYI: They make expensive versions of what we are looking for... (ILuvControl?)

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I believe that if you have tivo series 3 that is not HD that you would tell the tivo to change the channel and it would tell your cable box to change.
Actually a Tivo Series 3 does record HD. I am not looking to make my iPhone into a remote. I just don't get the point when I have a remote for my TV. I was thinking more as a novelty app to turn off or change channels of other peoples TV with my iPhone.

Lamplighter77

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2008
Richmond, VA
I have a crestron processor that is on my network. Right now I can use jaadu vnc to use what is called an xpanel on my pc. Its like a touch panel that runs on a computer. It gives me control of my whole AV system through IR flashers and I plan to expand the system to control my thermostat and lighting as soon as I have some extra money.

I am just really waiting for Crestron to release their app. I have heard bad things about iluvcontrol and the other one that mentions crestron and AMX control in their description. Crestron announced their app back in like september but they have pushed their release date back twice since then.

DavieBoy

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2009
New Jersey
Actually a Tivo Series 3 does record HD. I am not looking to make my iPhone into a remote. I just don't get the point when I have a remote for my TV. I was thinking more as a novelty app to turn off or change channels of other peoples TV with my iPhone.

lol, like my old sony clie palm unit. wow those were fun times

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.