Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twelve South today announced the launch of a new SurfacePad case for the iPhone X, expanding its popular SurfacePad design to Apple's latest flagship iPhone.

The SurfacePad is a folio-style case, but rather than being bulky like most cases with this design, it's ultra thin because it attaches to the back of an iPhone using Twelve South's "SurfaceGrip" technology.

twelvesouthsurfacepadiphonex1-800x536.jpg

Basically, SurfaceGrip is an adhesive that lets you remove and reapply the SurfacePad to the iPhone X over and over again without losing tackiness.

twelvesouthsurfacepadiphonex2-800x522.jpg

The SurfacePad offers front and back protection with its leather back and microfiber-lined leather cover, which also happens to have slots to hold two credit cards. A cutout at the back leaves the camera exposed so there's no interference with taking pictures, and the sides and bottom of the device are also left uncovered.

Like all SurfacePad cases, the SurfacePad for iPhone X's cover can be folded back and arranged into a stand for the device.

twelvesouthsurfacepadiphonex3-800x454.jpg

Twelve South has added a few features that are exclusive to the iPhone X, including automatic sleep/wake functionality when opening or closing the front flap and a new full-grain leather that Twelve South says will last longer and will develop a rich patina.

The SurfacePad for iPhone X is available in black, cognac, and deep teal, with the latter two being colors unique to iPhone X. It can be purchased for $49.99 from the Twelve South website.

Article Link: Twelve South Debuts New SurfacePad Case for iPhone X

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I had the surfacepad on my iPad a while back and loved it. Awesome case if you're going for minimalism and style.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

The SurfacePad offers total device protection with its leather back and microfiber-lined leather cover, which also happens to have slots to hold two credit cards. A cutout at the back leaves the camera exposed so there's no interference with taking pictures, and the sides and bottom of the device are also left uncovered.

This doesn't make sense.
It's totally protected but the sides and bottom are not protected so it's BS.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
I had one of these for the iPhone 5 and it was a complete piece of junk, just like every Twelve South product.

I especially liked the iPhone dock that I got from them a while back - which was painted to look like aluminum and turned out be cheap plastic.

Reactions: shadowbird423

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This doesn't make sense.

I think you’re being slightly pedantic. It Means the case is protecting the display AND the back of the phone entirely without any exposure in those area’s. Obviously there are cut outs for the lighting port, camera and buttons for accessibility.

cknibbs

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
So if I have tap enabled on my debit card/credit card that I put in my case, and I go to use Apple Pay with the case folded back on itself, what ends up getting charged? My debit card? My credit card? Apple Pay?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I think you’re being slightly pedantic. It Means the case is protecting the display AND the back of the phone entirely without any exposure in those area’s. Obviously there are cut outs for the lighting port, camera and buttons for accessibility.

No, I am not pedantic, the glass back and display are not protected from the side, one drop on a concrete floor brings terror.

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
Yeah, when a manufacturer press release is lifted and put directly into the "article" as "news" without any actual thought or critical view it impugns the credibility.

This should be clearly marked as advertising/promotion/a press release and not an actual piece of news.

This doesn't make sense.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA

The SurfacePad offers total device protection with its leather back and microfiber-lined leather cover, which also happens to have slots to hold two credit cards.

Article Link: Twelve South Debuts New SurfacePad Case for iPhone X

"...total device protection..." "...cut outs for ports, buttons, and camera..."

You use those phrases, but I do not think they mean what you think they mean.

Reactions: bmustaf

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
Have to agree that while yes the case provides protection for the phone while in the wallet, if you take your phone out of the wallet; then it offers no protection. I have a wallet made my LAB-C and the phone is in a case that also slides into the wallet. So times that I take my phone out of the wallet, it's still protected with a case.

splogue

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC
I have the version of this for my iPad and love it. However, I'd be terrified to put it on an iPhone X. One day I'd drop it, and that would be the end of the phone.

It is a very nice cover, but it isn't going to save anything from even a small fall.

Glavin

macrumors member
May 7, 2014
It offers zero fall protection. In what kind of fall does a device's edge never touch the impact surface?

Last edited:

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
iPhone X is surprisingly durable actually. I always go case less. Enjoy using and feeling high end tech gadgets. The Most I did was a tempered glass screen protector on my 7+.

On the X don’t even have that. I yanked it off rhe side table the other day. It fell 3 feet onto a concrete floor right on the screen. Cue heart failure. Not even a scratch!!! I was stunned. The 7+ with the protector fell about the same distance totally smashing the glass protector (phone was fine) but the X, wow. Not even micro scratches at this point from keys or coins. The 7+ was always in a separate dedicated pocket in my pants and yet after two months without the glass protector micro scratches were visible to the naked eye.

Didn’t research this part before buying But is this some kind of a new tough screen or the same gorilla glass? I’m impressed.

BrennanWDavis

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Dallas, TX
I have the Surface Pad for my iPad Mini and I love it. It doesn't offer complete protection, but it gives me what I want and need. And I love the look. But on an iPhone? Gross. It would be too much crap for me to put in a pocket, or even hold in the hand. Plus it just looks clunky on the iPhone.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I'm sure there are lots of people out there who like them, but the screen flap on these folio style cases drives me nuts.

Reactions: BrennanWDavis

vinsalducci

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2016
Got mine this past week. Doesn't provide much protection, but I don't mind that.

One thing that did concern me a bit is the adhesive that sticks the SurfacePad to the phone. Eventually it would lose it stickiness. So, I ordered a sheet of Airstick micro-suction plastic. Easy on, easy off, and never loses it's stick.

Incidentally, there is a cool handmade wallet "mini-case" I discovered a couple of years ago on Uncrate. Website is Kapotas.com, handmade in Ohio. Love those too-that's how I got turned on to Airstick adhesive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.