Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Jack Dorsey, CEO of Twitter and Square, visited Apple headquarters on Tuesday to give a talk to employees, according to a report by Bloomberg.

jack-dorsey-twitter.jpg

The billionaire's address at Apple is said to be one of several speakers talking to select Apple staff as part of an ongoing series.

Dorsey reportedly spoke with employees from the marketing department, and while the address may highlight shared principles, it's not thought to be suggestive of a new collaboration between Dorsey's companies and Apple.
While the address itself didn't point to a new partnership between Dorsey's companies and Apple, it was indicative of their bond and existing collaboration. Apple promoted Twitter as an iOS app coming to the Mac this fall, and the social media service is deeply integrated into both the iPhone and iPad. Apple was also among the first retailers to sell Square's now-common credit-card reader.
As Bloomberg notes, Apple teased that Twitter would be one of the first companies to exploit its new Project Catalyst technology that makes it easier for developers to bring iPad applications to the Mac. Strictly speaking though, the Twitter app for iPhone and iPad is currently no more integrated than any other third-party iOS app.

Apple's mobile OS did used to include built-in support for Twitter, but the integration was removed in 2017 with the release of iOS 11 -- perhaps in anticipation of Apple's upcoming privacy-focused login feature, Sign In with Apple. Twitter has since relied on iOS shared extensions just like all the other social networks it competes with.

We stand with @tim_cook and Apple (and thank him for his leadership)! https://t.co/XrnGC9seZ4 - jack 🌍🌏🌎 (@jack) February 18, 2016
Dorsey supported Apple in its 2016 feud with the FBI over iPhone access.

That said, Dorsey and Apple clearly enjoy a close bond, so maybe his association with the tech giant is one to watch for the future.

Article Link: Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey Gives Talk to Apple's Marketing Department

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Twitter should return to its roots and re-simplify their idea. The service is very messy now and I no longer care to understand all its complexities. They should also come up with a sensible solution to public conversions and threaded Tweet groups on its platform, to visually explain what we’re looking at without all the confusion. And I sometimes message companies and then cannot find my message, what’s up with that? That’s no good for anyone.

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
All these companies really are of one mind set, the silicon valley bubble. All the emphasis on "security" is a bit of a distraction, when the biggest security concern to your account doesn't come from outside, but from within these companies cutting you off for violating their terms of services which is increasingly biased towards the views of the radical left.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Twitter should return to its roots and re-simplify their idea. The service is very messy now and I no longer care to understand all its complexities. They should also come up with a sensible solution to public conversions and threaded Tweet groups on its platform, to visually explain what we’re looking at without all the confusion. And I sometimes message companies and then cannot find my message, what’s up with that? That’s no good for anyone.

I hate the Twitter app. I don’t understand pinned tweets and threads and all of that. TweetBot is so simple. I also don’t get what order I’m seeing tweets in Lol. Too many promoted tweets too.

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Dorsey’s botched management of Twitter and its ridiculously illogical interface is nothing to learn from.

mattyj2001

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2015
Jack Dorsey vacationed in Myanmar. You know, the same place his app is used for genocide. Hope he had fun at the retreat, though.

His non-existent philanthropic efforts are shameful. Dudebro is about the accumulation of wealth and will one day leave this earth with Twitter, the toxic waste dump of the Internet, as his only legacy.

He is the worst person in Silicon Valley, and the Apple campus is just a little bit more dirty/cursed by having had him on it.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jack Dorsey vacationed in Myanmar. You know, the same place his app is used for genocide. Hope he had fun at the retreat, though.

His non-existent philanthropic efforts are shameful. Dudebro is about the accumulation of wealth and will one day leave this earth with Twitter, the toxic waste dump of the Internet, as his only legacy.

He is the worst person in Silicon Valley, and the Apple campus is just a little bit more dirty/cursed by having had him on it.

An app used for anything is NOT the fault of it's creator.
The Bible practices all kinds of things that just doesn't make any logical sense yet it's not stopping printing presses from creating it, nor governments to allow churches to have land and not pay taxes or from people bible thumping.

man you guys are reaching so far placing social inequalities, FUD, and other items completely out of the founder/owners control - which could happen with ANY product/service onto his shoulders as 'his fault'.

mattyj2001

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2015
An app used for anything is NOT the fault of it's creator.
The Bible practices all kinds of things that just doesn't make any logical sense yet it's not stopping printing presses from creating it, nor governments to allow churches to have land and not pay taxes or from people bible thumping.

man you guys are reaching so far placing social inequalities, FUD, and other items completely out of the founder/owners control - which could happen with ANY product/service onto his shoulders as 'his fault'.

Inaction when your app is used to facilitate murder is definitely the fault of its creator. Creators have a responsibility for their creations. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous at best.

Imagine Jack Dorsey vacationing in Germany in 1942 and Tweeting nothing but missives on how serene and beautiful the countryside is. Maybe take 10 minutes out of your day to ask the local Jewish people what changes in the Twitter app might curtail their extermination? Except that he did this exact thing in Myanmar in 2018.

Jack Dorsey donated to a campaign against a proposition for homeless relief in the city where Twitter doesn't pay any payroll tax. In a building surrounded by homeless people all day, every day.

Benioff built a hospital. The Gates Foundation is trying to eliminate malaria (amongst other thing.) Craig Newmark quietly donates 10's of millions of dollars to worthy causes every year. Wealthy people have an obligation to give back, they have the means and people like Jack have more money than they can ever spend.

I'd just like to see him do something good for once, something honest, something worthwhile. But instead he seems to go out of his way to be the worst version of the worst character from "Silicon Valley".

Reactions: DeepIn2U

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Inaction when your app is used to facilitate murder is definitely the fault of its creator. Creators have a responsibility for their creations. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous at best.

Imagine Jack Dorsey vacationing in Germany in 1942 and Tweeting nothing but missives on how serene and beautiful the countryside is. Maybe take 10 minutes out of your day to ask the local Jewish people what changes in the Twitter app might curtail their extermination? Except that he did this exact thing in Myanmar in 2018.

Jack Dorsey donated to a campaign against a proposition for homeless relief in the city where Twitter doesn't pay any payroll tax. In a building surrounded by homeless people all day, every day.

Benioff built a hospital. The Gates Foundation is trying to eliminate malaria (amongst other thing.) Craig Newmark quietly donates 10's of millions of dollars to worthy causes every year. Wealthy people have an obligation to give back, they have the means and people like Jack have more money than they can ever spend.

I'd just like to see him do something good for once, something honest, something worthwhile. But instead he seems to go out of his way to be the worst version of the worst character from "Silicon Valley".

Well said and I love this post. That said, at least to western world countries, inaction for what application you create that does not specifically cater to murder or harm to anyone, and is used by others in this regard is not legally binding. Hence why he’s not been brought up on charges.

Not sure about your 2018 reference as I’ve not heard of it before. I no longer use twitter for some time now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.