Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

twitterlogo-250x204.jpg
Yesterday, Twitter began rolling out a new feature in the Messages section of its official app that separates out DMs from people you don't follow in order to make it easier to accept or delete them.

In the Twitter iOS app, regular messages from people you know will appear in the Inbox as normal, while all other DMs will be flagged as Requests. Messages of the latter kind can be previewed without the sender being notified, while options are provided to accept and notify the sender, or delete the message without notifying them.

By default, any media attached to an unsolicited message won't be revealed until you accept the DM, to protect users from inappropriate content, although this setting can be disabled.

If you've opted-in to get Direct Messages from anyone, messages from people you don't follow will go into requests. https://t.co/n1qasb7JZC pic.twitter.com/HQY20T5f6t - Twitter (@Twitter) 30 May 2017

The feature is similar to the system Facebook uses in its own Messenger app, and appears to have been adopted by Twitter to minimize the potential for online abuse. The company is still in the process of rolling out the new inbox function, and it will only show up for users who have turned on the setting that allows messages to be received from people they don't follow.

The Twitter app is a free download from the App Store for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: New Twitter Inbox Feature Flags Unsolicited Direct Messages As 'Requests'

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
This is exactly how I keep missing PMs to me on Facebook from people who just want to message me without "friending" me. Annoying. I wish I could disable it.

Reactions: vjl323

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
But I don't want "requests," I simply don't want any messages or notifications about DMs from people I don't follow.

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
If you love your communications censored with an agenda, Twitter is the service for you!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
And yet they still can't do something simple like let you correct a tweet without having to delete it and start over again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.