Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Twitter app for iOS devices was today updated to version 6.73.1, adding a small but important feature that allows users to have more control over the amount of storage space Twitter uses on an iPhone or iPad.

A new storage setting lets users see how much storage space Twitter is using for cached images and web content, and it offers an option for clearing stored data. Users can choose to clear Media storage or Web storage independently. Some Twitter users appear to have a dedicated "Storage" section, while others are seeing the information listed under "Data usage," so it's not clear what the final storage UI will look like.

twitterstorageoptions.jpg

Twitter's new cache clearing option will be a welcome addition for users who frequently use the default app. Prior to the introduction of the storage setting, the only way to clear a large Twitter cache that was taking up a lot of space was to delete and reinstall the Twitter app.

The new option brings the official Twitter app in line with third-party Twitter apps like Tweetbot that already offer a cache clearing option.

Twitter for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter for iOS Gains New Option for Clearing Cache

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
... and so continues to declining consistency of the user interface.

"Image previews" should be "Image Previews".
"Web storage" should be "Web Storage"
... etc.

These "new age" developers are really eating away at my patience.
Wow. It didn't take long at all for someone to find something to complain about.

brian3uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2016
Thank goodness. I just sent a suggestion to Facebook yesterday for the same thing. I know they have a option to clear the webpage cache but not the regular media. I hope they see what Twitter did and implement something similar.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Adding a ‘clear’ button will only incentivise people to manual maintenance, like closing applications. Apps should simply be reasonable with caching and not use it as a sink.

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
Adding a ‘clear’ button will only incentivise people to manual maintenance, like closing applications. Apps should simply be reasonable with caching and not use it as a sink.

Amen to that, with the additional requirement that all caching apps need to have the capability to automatically manage cache content with appropriate 'maximum cache size' settings.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
cleared 1.5gb and then went back to my timeline where I scrolled up past a auto playing video of one of the Presidents men. I didnt stop. Went back to settings and it had started storing again. Like wtf! how long does it store and why the heck.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Wow. It didn't take long at all for someone to find something to complain about.

It's called "first impressions", and I don't like what I saw.

What if they added this same capability, but the user interface looked like iPhone OS 1.0. Would you say "hey great, thanks Twitter!" while completely ignoring the visual appearance? Adhering to high standards is what iOS and Apple products is all about, and they have diverged on this small item. Worthy of raising the issue, I say.

seanmcbay

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
... and so continues to declining consistency of the user interface.

"Image previews" should be "Image Previews".
"Web storage" should be "Web Storage"
... etc.

These "new age" developers are really eating away at my patience.

Get a life. lol

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
It's called "first impressions", and I don't like what I saw.

What if they added this same capability, but the user interface looked like iPhone OS 1.0. Would you say "hey great, thanks Twitter!" while completely ignoring the visual appearance? Adhering to high standards is what iOS and Apple products is all about, and they have diverged on this small item. Worthy of raising the issue, I say.
That's not even a comparison, lol.

Anyway, it looks like that styling for text labels is hardly new. A quick look shows me a button that says "Edit profile", and another that says "Turn off night mode". Perhaps their internal style guide says that's correct?

Sharkoneau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2017
Michigan
Incredibly welcome change for me. Having uninstalled the app multiple times after data usage grew out of control, this is awesome. As itsmilo said, this should be an option on every app, especially since developers tend to throw every bit of "junk" into the cache. Anyone who has WGT installed on their phone knows this well.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
Does the OS do this automatically if storage space is low the to begin with? My wife likes to run her phone with nearly zero space available and I constantly see her apps go gray and say "Cleaning" or something along those lines.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Looks like Dropbox had an update today which listed a similar feature being added as well. Perhaps it's a trend that is starting up, which would certainly be a good thing if keeps on spreading to apps like Facebook, Instagram, etc.

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2015
Fun, Dropbox added the same functionality at the same day during an update. :)

Love it!

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
This should be mandatory for any app

Yeah, agreed!

I wish Facebook would do this as well, or do a better handling of the growing cache on 16GB devices.

OR, even better, Apple should create a API to clear content on any app and then have a button in settings to clear all caches :D
That would be the DREAM :D

Last edited:

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
It glitches out on my iPad and won't let me clear it. Great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.