Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

orange.png

UK mobile carrier Orange seems to be working with Apple to provide "free" iTunes movie rentals each Thursday in an ongoing promotion called Orange Film To Go.
- All Orange customers be they on Orange Home Broadband, pay as you go, pay monthly, mobile broadband or business get a weekly film download every Thursday at no cost*
- Customers can download a film and watch on a PC, laptop or an Apple mobile device - wherever they are
- The Wrestler, The Ghost and Che: Part One amongst titles announced at launch
Orange Film To Go offers Orange customers a film to download from iTunes every Thursday. Coupon codes for each weekly film are retrieved by texting ‘FILMTOGO’ to 85060. A 35p text message cost does apply.

Movies can then be redeemed on Thursday and then the usual iTunes movie rental rules kick in. Customers have 30 days to start watching the movie and then 48 hours to finish watching it.

Article Link: UK Carrier Orange to Offer Customers 'Free' iTunes Movie Rental Promo

Last edited by a moderator:

tommy060289

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sounds like a nice addition to orange Wednesday's. Although I'm still unlikely to go with orange as I prefer to buy my iPhone unlocked and then pick the best carrier for my needs!

Also, when I first read it it sounded like any film rental. So hopefully it won't just be rubbish n older films!

barberio

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Not exactly "free". You actually get charged 35p for the 'text code' to download it, and SMS is essentially a free-to-run side service for mobile phone companies. Of course, the current film "My Blueberry Nights" is on iTunes uk store at £2.49 for a rental, so that's still a significant saving of £2.14.

Pinkiy

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
Surrey, UK
Not exactly "free". You actually get charged 35p for the 'text code' to download it, and SMS is essentially a free-to-run side service for mobile phone companies. Of course, the current film "My Blueberry Nights" is on iTunes uk store at £2.49 for a rental, so that's still a significant saving of £2.14.
I cant believe your picking holes in the 35p charge. People wont even notice that.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Everything free has some cost associated with it. I wouldn't complain about the gas to drive to pick up a free couch. It would be cool if some American telecoms did cool things for their customers like this once in a while.

stujmac26

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
If anyone can figure out how to do this on an iPad with an Orange contract I'll be mightily impressed. They always seem to forget about iPads - on their own website, for mobile broadband customers (I assume that includes me) it says to "Go to the Orange Broadband mobile portal. From here you can text FILMTOGO to 85060."

Errr.....what? Orange Broadband mobile portal has never ever been mentioned on Google before!!

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
If anyone can figure out how to do this on an iPad with an Orange contract I'll be mightily impressed. They always seem to forget about iPads - on their own website, for mobile broadband customers (I assume that includes me) it says to "Go to the Orange Broadband mobile portal. From here you can text FILMTOGO to 85060."

Errr.....what? Orange Broadband mobile portal has never ever been mentioned on Google before!!

Yeah - same. I can't find it either.r

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

seems there's always a catch with the "free" deals

LGShepherd

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Teesside, United Kingdom

The Orange Wednesday app is going to incorporate this once the update has been approved.

panurgenyc

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
"UK Carrier Orange"...

Well not to be nit picky but Orange is a French carrier (a re-branding of France Telecom), having a presence in the UK.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Oh, Orange. You seem like a nice company. Whenever I go to the movies I see your quirky, funny ads featuring hollywood celebs. You keep trying to tempt me away from O2 with your competitive pricing and great offers like Orange Wednesdays, and now this deal with iTunes.

Yet, after about 2 years of carrying the iPhone on your network you still do not support Visual Voicemail - one killer feature on my iPhone that I can't live without.

Damn you Orange, WHY!? :mad:

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Their data speeds suck!

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

"Customers have 30 days to start watching the movie and then 48 hours to finish watching it."

Isn't it 24 hours for movies, 48 hours for TV shows?

LukeHarrison

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
Well not to be nit picky but Orange is a French carrier (a re-branding of France Telecom), having a presence in the UK.

I don't want to be even more nit picky, but Orange was founded in the UK in 1994. Only in 2000 was it bought by France Telecom.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I think right now you can throw a trash can through the window of any UK Orange store in you area and grab all the free movies you can before the cops turn up.

ikduncan

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2006
Just to be pedantic, I thinmk youll find that is any English Orange Store,
not the whole UK

I think right now you can throw a trash can through the window of any UK Orange store in you area and grab all the free movies you can before the cops turn up.

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK

The Orange Wednesday app is going to incorporate this once the update has been approved.

I guess this answers the question I was about to raise....

...any ideas when this app may finally be updated?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.