Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hive, the U.K. smart connected home company backed by British Gas, today announced the Hive View, a smart indoor camera with an emphasis on style and high definition livestream security.

The 130-degree wide angle lens camera is capable of 1080p live-streaming, automatic 16ft night vision, and includes Bluetooth 4.1 to simplify setup. Meanwhile, the design, by industrial designer Yves Béhar, features a separatable magnetic camera cube and a magnetic ball-and-socket base, together allowing for a multitude of viewing angles.

Hive-View-800x399.jpg

The magnetic base and rotatable head enables the camera to be mounted on walls and ceilings, but the more unique feature lies in the way the camera cube can be detached and temporarily relocated away from the mount, thanks to a built-in 2100mAh Li-ion rechargeable battery providing up to 90 minutes of power.

The Hive View is available in two color options - White & Champagne Gold and Black & Brushed Copper - and costs £189 for a single camera or £319 for a two-pack. A rolling 30-day camera history for up to two cameras, and a host of other member-exclusive benefits, can be included for £4.99 per month. Otherwise, the Hive comes with a standard 24-hour camera history.

It's worth noting that getting the cameras to work does not require a Hive Hub - all that's required is an Android or iOS device for the Hive app, although there's currently no HomeKit support. Hive also offers a Close to Home plan that offers a saving of up to £130 on the full range of Hive smart home products, including Hive Active Lights, Hive Window or Door Sensors, a Hive Active Plug, and the Hive Hub. Check out the website for more details.

Article Link: U.K. Smart Home Firm Hive Announces View Smart Camera With Detachable Camera Cube

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
Knowing this "smart" technology it'll be as secure as a potato with the video stream being poorly or not protected, open for viewing to anyone.

timmyh

Contributing Editor
Mar 18, 2016
Edinburgh, UK
Knowing this "smart" technology it'll be as secure as a potato with the video stream being poorly or not protected, open for viewing to anyone.

I can only refer you to Hive's technical specs:
  • Encrypted camera footage stored securely online
  • Secure web transfer using TLS
  • AES-128 encryption

pete2106

Suspended
Dec 7, 2012
I can only refer you to Hive's technical specs:
  • Encrypted camera footage stored securely online
  • Secure web transfer using TLS
  • AES-128 encryption

Until in a years time we hear that they've been hacked and all our information and recordings have been stolen.

Reactions: jimthing

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
Is it just me or does this feel more like an advert than news?

I have the Hive lights and plug attachments, they’re ok but they badly need HomeKit.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Looks just like a GoPro Session.
Not too original from the industrial designer.

ilfn143

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Enron by the Sea
Why does everything have to be subscription based? (Rhetorical question). I can see why some people might want a cloud-based storage option, but does anyone produce a good consumer camera with simple local storage these days?

Netgear Arlo, there are usb ports at the base for storage. Samsung, Amcrest, Foscam... has microUSB.

PlutoPrime

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
Why does everything have to be subscription based? (Rhetorical question). I can see why some people might want a cloud-based storage option, but does anyone produce a good consumer camera with simple local storage these days?

Because they amount of resources and energy it takes to create and maintain a company that focuses on cameras isn't satisfied by an upfront purchase price that's digestible to the average sapien.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Because they amount of resources and energy it takes to create and maintain a company that focuses on cameras isn't satisfied by an upfront purchase price that's digestible to the average sapien.

They seemed to manage to do so just fine until the cloud came along!

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Is it just me or does this feel more like an advert than news?

I have the Hive lights and plug attachments, they’re ok but they badly need HomeKit.
HomeKit integration it highly unlikely. People on their forums have been moaning and groaning about it not being there (despite apparent early promises from them it would) for at least a couple of years.

Hive has seemingly gone the other way, and is the latest brand trying to get its own ecosystem of products in their own Hive app, instead of the Apple Home app. I believe they use the Zigbee system too, incidentally.

Pity, but they likely think that if they can do it alone, they probably don't like relying on Apple's api sw updates all the time, rather than working to their own schedule with sw they themselves control.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have hive in my house that I have bought and even to buy the smart app access will cost me another £80. Guess this is interesting where to put this camera. Would rather it be in the hall than my lounge

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.