Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
I’m convinced everyone here is lying, battery dropped 30% today in 12 hours and I hardly moved around at all

GloriousAndrew

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2017
I’m convinced everyone here is lying, battery dropped 30% today in 12 hours and I hardly moved around at all
That doesn’t seem right. I took mine off the charger at about 5:30am on Tuesday. I worked out for 45 minutes. I have the AOD on. I have fine tuned which messages I want to go to my watch. Not all but definitely my Gmail and messages. I do not utilize sleep tracking so I take it off while I sleep. I woke up 5am on Wednesday with 67%. Used it all day. Another 45 min workout. Took it off my wrist at the end of the day (9pm) with 33% left. This time I turned off the watch altogether as I slept so no battery drain. The next day I turned it back on and went back my usual business with only a 30 mins workout. I just put it on the charger finally tonight with 17% battery left. So for three days it lasted me from 5:30am to about 8pm at night. I don’t count the hours in between as it wasn’t on my wrist while I slept. That to me is incredible.

Perhaps you need to look at what settings are enabled on your watch because something is definitely chewing up your battery a little more than regular.

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
That doesn’t seem right. I took mine off the charger at about 5:30am on Tuesday. I worked out for 45 minutes. I have the AOD on. I have fine tuned which messages I want to go to my watch. Not all but definitely my Gmail and messages. I do not utilize sleep tracking so I take it off while I sleep. I woke up 5am on Wednesday with 67%. Used it all day. Another 45 min workout. Took it off my wrist at the end of the day (9pm) with 33% left. This time I turned off the watch altogether as I slept so no battery drain. The next day I turned it back on and went back my usual business with only a 30 mins workout. I just put it on the charger finally tonight with 17% battery left. So for three days it lasted me from 5:30am to about 8pm at night. I don’t count the hours in between as it wasn’t on my wrist while I slept. That to me is incredible.

Perhaps you need to look at what settings are enabled on your watch because something is definitely chewing up your battery a little more than regular.
I have AOD on, which watch faces are you using? I usually have the weather on, maybe that’s causing a constant drain.

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
It will take a few days for things to settle down. Yesterday I started the day at 7:00a at 100% and 24 hrs later I was at 67% (no workout that day, but sleep tracking). I will take a 3 day trip next week and see, if I can get through it w/o a charge. Probably tight but 50-60 hrs should be no problem based on my experience to date.

GloriousAndrew

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2017
I have AOD on, which watch faces are you using? I usually have the weather on, maybe that’s causing a constant drain.
That perhaps is it. I use modular. I don’t believe any of my complications are monitoring my GPS locations. My complications are: battery, activity, timer, Shazam and messages. I made sure to turn background app refresh off for the weather apps because I can just go into the app and check the weather if I want.

With my Apple Watches, I’ve always tried to limit the things that happen in the background because chances are, my iPhone is already doing the same thing but better. Like the weather widget on my iPhone’s Home Screen.

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
I have weather on and get 48-52h on a single charge including minimum of 3-4h workout (gym and a little walk)

jcmc

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
Getting a consistent 40% reduction in a 24 hour period with sleep tracking and a few workouts, plus music playing when on runs. So 2.5 days for a full charge which I am perfectly happy with.

Reactions: Wackery

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
So I did the math last night and went out last night to a bar wearing my watch for 8 hours with AOD on, brightness set to medium and the wayfarer watch face with all notifications on except for noise and hand washing. Just very light usage using Apple Pay a few times and I lost 12% during the 8 hours So that’s 1.5% per hour so that works out at 66.6 hours battery life. I don’t expect to get that but even getting 50 hours is away above what Apple say.

ArchEtech

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2022
Mine lost 0% overnight 12am - 8am in sleep mode, nothing turned off. I top the battery off every morning for 15-20 minutes and never think about battery life.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
How much does it use if you have the data on? Tempted to get a plan for watch given the much improved battery life

VTEC214

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2022
I'm consistently getting 40 hours with about 28-32% remaining. Only thing I have turned off is AOD. Lots of text, email alerts and a few calls.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Still can't manage to get to 72 hours, even over the weekend when alerts and messages are 25% of a weekday alerts and message volume.

But, three days 71 hours, three nights sleep tracking, 2:45 workouts (one weights, two fast walks - phone nearby IF that matters are all with the AWU).

For kicks and giggles I'm going to try this next round with the low power mode turned ON, and see what difference that makes, still using the WORKOUT app for workouts and messaging, wondering if the LPM still does HR and O2 tracking while sleep focus is on?

Last edited:

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Still can't managed to get to 72 hours, even over the weekend when alerts and messages are 25% of a weekday alerts and message volume.

But, three days 71 hours, three nights sleep tracking, 2:45 workouts (one weights, two fast walks - phone nearby IF that matters are all with the AWU).

For kicks and giggles I'm going to try this next round with the low power mode turned ON, and see what different that makes, still using the WORKOUT app for workouts and messaging, wondering if the LPM still does HR and O2 tracking while sleep focus is on?
Can you tag me and update me? Thinking of going Low-Power Mode router on trips.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Can you tag me and update me? Thinking of going Low-Power Mode router on trips.
Well, here is my 2.75 day update..

So, for my use putting the Ultra into LPM, a 24 hour period used ~20-22% battery. I’ve tracked that now over 2.75 days, the first full two 24 hour days were tracked and logged at the 24 hour mark as 20% down and 22% down.

The first 24 hour ‘day’ was a weekend end and first full business weekday and took down 20% of the battery ending the 24 hour period at 81%

The 2nd 24 hour ‘day’ was a full weekday (and the .75 day was as well) so it captured the volume of daily texts, calendar updates, navigation updates (google maps on iphone with info and alerts to AWU) and 50 minute workouts and it used 22% over 24 hours.

The final 20 hour period has used just a bit over 17% and now the Watch sits at ~40-41% remaining after ~ 68 hours.

The watch was still tracking SLEEP for three nights now, (Sun, Mon, Tue nights) but it didn’t capture HR for the sleep periods nor O2 for those periods. The watch doesn’t capture ANY of that data other than during the ACTIVE workouts (of which there were TWO, 1:45 total)

I’m going to stop the exercise for now, as I like and NEED the O2 data if not the HR data and miss having it in my overall sleep reports or tracking my O2.

So, in effect depending on which way one looks at the numbers, using the LPM will use 40% LESS battery than running in normal mode or looking at it another way, running the watch normally (NOT LPM) will use 50% MORE battery than in LPM.

Contrary to what apple notes for LPM, I did NOT notice any delayed notifications or alerts for things like stock trading apps, calendar notifications, reminders, timers, navigation updates, package alerts, etc. so not sure what they are referring to when they say “alerts and notifications might be delayed”

I’m okay just running it normally and getting all the data I am also interested in (constant or frequent HR/O2 monitoring and tracking), and getting the 3 days nearly full use that I did prior.

I really can’t imagine what apple is going to “release in fall 2022” that will further enable / enhance the LPM for the AWU. MAYBE they are going to allow a more granular selection of what to TRACK, NOT TRACK, prioritize items, TOD DOW items to prioritize, etc, or MAYBE they have even more ISP/SW/HW options at their disposal to further allow the processing, screen, I/O to SIP even less onboard battery power to further elongate what appears to be truly acceptable battery life for what this device can deliver.

Reactions: JTan24

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Well, here is my 2.75 day update..

So, for my use putting the Ultra into LPM, a 24 hour period used ~20-22% battery. I’ve tracked that now over 2.75 days, the first full two 24 hour days were tracked and logged at the 24 hour mark as 20% down and 22% down.

The first 24 hour ‘day’ was a weekend end and first full business weekday and took down 20% of the battery ending the 24 hour period at 81%

The 2nd 24 hour ‘day’ was a full weekday (and the .75 day was as well) so it captured the volume of daily texts, calendar updates, navigation updates (google maps on iphone with info and alerts to AWU) and 50 minute workouts and it used 22% over 24 hours.

The final 20 hour period has used just a bit over 17% and now the Watch sits at ~40-41% remaining after ~ 68 hours.

The watch was still tracking SLEEP for three nights now, (Sun, Mon, Tue nights) but it didn’t capture HR for the sleep periods nor O2 for those periods. The watch doesn’t capture ANY of that data other than during the ACTIVE workouts (of which there were TWO, 1:45 total)

I’m going to stop the exercise for now, as I like and NEED the O2 data if not the HR data and miss having it in my overall sleep reports or tracking my O2.

So, in effect depending on which way one looks at the numbers, using the LPM will use 40% LESS battery than running in normal mode or looking at it another way, running the watch normally (NOT LPM) will use 50% MORE battery than in LPM.

Contrary to what apple notes for LPM, I did NOT notice any delayed notifications or alerts for things like stock trading apps, calendar notifications, reminders, timers, navigation updates, package alerts, etc. so not sure what they are referring to when they say “alerts and notifications might be delayed”

I’m okay just running it normally and getting all the data I am also interested in (constant or frequent HR/O2 monitoring and tracking), and getting the 3 days nearly full use that I did prior.

I really can’t imagine what apple is going to “release in fall 2022” that will further enable / enhance the LPM for the AWU. MAYBE they are going to allow a more granular selection of what to TRACK, NOT TRACK, prioritize items, TOD DOW items to prioritize, etc, or MAYBE they have even more ISP/SW/HW options at their disposal to further allow the processing, screen, I/O to SIP even less onboard battery power to further elongate what appears to be truly acceptable battery life for what this device can deliver.
Oh wow this is pretty good stuff thanks for the information. I need the full Sleep tracking data so this won't be an option for me outside of workouts/sleep so basically while I'm at the desk or walking.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Oh wow this is pretty good stuff thanks for the information. I need the full Sleep tracking data so this won't be an option for me outside of workouts/sleep so basically while I'm at the desk or walking.
It would seem that apple could easily make the Sleep Focus, a NON LPM option moving the battery usage back up to regular, and enabling the HR/O2 monitoring. Or, as I said they could allow a more granular approach to LPM that would say turn on HR/O2 WHEN/IF sleep is being tracked as with Workout mode.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
It would seem that apple could easily make the Sleep Focus, a NON LPM option moving the battery usage back up to regular, and enabling the HR/O2 monitoring. Or, as I said they could allow a more granular approach to LPM that would say turn on HR/O2 WHEN/IF sleep is being tracked as with Workout mode.
Would work very very well with the Focus modes for sure! Let's wait and see what they roll out in the future!

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Reminds me a little of this tweet from Google Pixel.....sent from "Twitter for iPhone."
DOH! 🤔🤣

Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 7.55.02 AM.png

Reactions: Wackery
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.