Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yomiel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
So I finally decided to shell out some extra cash to replace my failing Windows laptop with the baseline 15 inch MBP, and I'm generally very pleased with the OS and machine, but I have a few cosmetic/build quality complaints that I thought I'd run by people here since I'm still within the 14 day return window, and I'd like to get a totally solid machine, given that I've never spent this much on a laptop before and don't intent to upgrade for at least another three years.

The most annoying thing I noticed is that the lid on this isn't quite seated correctly, meaning that (while closed) the left edge makes contact with the aluminum, but the right side hovers ever so slightly (maybe something like a millimeter) and can be forced down to make contact. It's barely noticeable visually, but I can feel it sometimes when carrying the machine with one hand, and it doesn't seem like it's good for the computer, though probably nothing serious. I didn't notice this with any of the 13 inch models I've used, and I'm not sure it falls under the realm of typical little cosmetic defects, or something worth exchanging over.

I also have quite a bit of creaking on the bottom, which I know is pretty common, but a little frustrating nonetheless.

I wouldn't generally preoccupy myself with these things, but I'm going to be out near the Apple store in a couple of days, and I'm nearing the end of the 14 day window, so I'm not sure if I should just bring the machine in and ask them to replace it. These issues seem minor enough that I'm a bit skeptical they'll actually do it, and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. Thoughts?

Studflower

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2014
So I finally decided to shell out some extra cash to replace my failing Windows laptop with the baseline 15 inch MBP, and I'm generally very pleased with the OS and machine, but I have a few cosmetic/build quality complaints that I thought I'd run by people here since I'm still within the 14 day return window, and I'd like to get a totally solid machine, given that I've never spent this much on a laptop before and don't intent to upgrade for at least another three years.

The most annoying thing I noticed is that the lid on this isn't quite seated correctly, meaning that (while closed) the left edge makes contact with the aluminum, but the right side hovers ever so slightly (maybe something like a millimeter) and can be forced down to make contact. It's barely noticeable visually, but I can feel it sometimes when carrying the machine with one hand, and it doesn't seem like it's good for the computer, though probably nothing serious. I didn't notice this with any of the 13 inch models I've used, and I'm not sure it falls under the realm of typical little cosmetic defects, or something worth exchanging over.

I also have quite a bit of creaking on the bottom, which I know is pretty common, but a little frustrating nonetheless.

I wouldn't generally preoccupy myself with these things, but I'm going to be out near the Apple store in a couple of days, and I'm nearing the end of the 14 day window, so I'm not sure if I should just bring the machine in and ask them to replace it. These issues seem minor enough that I'm a bit skeptical they'll actually do it, and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. Thoughts?

Uneven lid isn't common. The bottom creak is common (I've had it).

Return it for a new one.

PS if you bought from Apple Store, they'll exchange no questions asked.

Reactions: Yomiel

marzfreerider

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Your not happy with it, so return it. I would return it if its not acceptable to you. I went through 5 different ones until I got an acceptable one (yellow screens, bad GPU, failed fan, dents and scratches). You paid a lot of money for your computer, don't except a mediocre product.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Your not happy with it, so return it. I would return it if its not acceptable to you. I went through 5 different ones until I got an acceptable one (yellow screens, bad GPU, failed fan, dents and scratches). You paid a lot of money for your computer, don't except a mediocre product.

Same as marzfreerider here I went through many rMBP's, 6 in-fact and the 6th one was the only one that met my expectations. I also went through yellow screens and I even had one arrive with a broken return key on the keyboard.

Studflower

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2014

Don't have to think of it like "is it acceptable to me???"

It has an uneven lid... It's downright defective.

This isn't subjective at all like screen quality..

Yomiel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
Thanks for the responses. I think I will run in and try to return it, I just feel a little sheepish doing so. I didn't notice the issue until I had already been using the machine for a few days because it's more or less invisible. Just something I feel when pressing on the right side of the machine (slight bending downwards). Upon closer inspection, it is noticeable that one side isn't making contact, so I suppose that's a reasonable complaint. Do I need to bring in all of the packaging for an exchange, or will they just swap the machine?

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
They will accept the entire package you received. The box, all accessories, booklet, charger etc.

They will offer you a repair instead but it is your right to refuse that and have an exchange instead. Just make sure you've backed up all your data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.