Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech0925

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
I was trying to install MySQL on my iMac and screwed something up. LOL I dragged the zip files to my var folder and extracted it. I am not sure where the files went. I am also now getting a blue home and net button along with a .DS_Store file, that I cannot delete, on my desktop that is driving me crazy. How can I completely uninstall all the MySQL files that I just installed. I don't want to accidentally delete something that I shouldn't.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
From Terminal you can use the following to find references to where MySQL may be installed, then you can browser there and check the created/modified dates to see if they match with when you were installing.

Code:
sudo find / -name "mysql" -print

The command may take a few minutes to complete.

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
Unistall MySQL on Mac??

Why were you trying to install MySQL?
All Macs ship with MySQL already installed.
BTW, you also get Apache and PhP.

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
Oops!

Not all Macs ship with MySQL. My Mac certainly didn't.

I do apologize for that.
I have two iMacs and a Mac Mini, all which shipped with MySQL installed.
Very poor generalization on my part!

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I do apologize for that.
I have two iMacs and a Mac Mini, all which shipped with MySQL installed.
Very poor generalization on my part!

Very poor generalization indeed. I've owned more than a dozen Macs over the last six years, and NONE of them had MySQL pre-installed. But then again, I only had the desktop version of OS X on my machines and not OS X Server -- OS X Server really comes with MySQL pre-installed.

But maybe you mistake MySQL with SQLite, which is what most Apple software uses as its storage engine.

Anyway -- for uninstalling MySQL from OS X, maybe this blog helps:

http://akrabat.com/computing/uninstalling-mysql-on-mac-os-x-leopard/

I also would only use the official MySQL DMG image to install the software on OS X; it can be downloaded from the MySQL website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.