Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mac Otakara reports that the long-running Japanese magazine MacFan has claimed that Apple will be holding a special media event on June 20 to introduce the iPhone 5S. According to the report, the iPhone 5S will actually launch in July with the rumored lower-cost iPhone following in August.

Various analysts and other sources have been indicating that the iPhone 5S could launch as soon as June or July, but MacFan's specific claim of a June 20 media event seems to defy common sense on several levels.

iphone_5_event_line.jpg
iPhone 5 media event line (Josh Lowensohn/CNET)
First, while Apple has not yet announced dates for its annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in San Francisco, a tentative long-range schedule that leaked several years ago and continued gap in the Moscone Center's public schedule have suggested that the company is likely to hold the conference the week of June 10-14.

Apple could certainly choose to introduce the iPhone 5S at WWDC as it did for several years before it shifted iPhone launches to later in the year for 2011 and 2012, although the company has shown that it is willing to hold WWDC without a major hardware launch and instead focus on iOS and OS X for its developer community.

Still, even if Apple chooses not to introduce the iPhone 5S at WWDC, it seems extremely unlikely that the company would expect the media to return for a separate media event just a week later to show off the iPhone 5S. Even when it is running a tight schedule to launch significant numbers of new products, Apple schedules significant gaps between its announcements in order to allow each one to have its full share of publicity.

Second, Apple almost universally holds its media events on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, with the theory being that Mondays are poor days for members of the media who may need to travel to the event location the day before and that Thursdays and Fridays don't leave enough time for the full publicity impact before the news cycle is interrupted by the weekend. The one recent exception to Apple's scheduling trend was its education-focused media event on Thursday, January 19, 2012, but that event was unusual in several respects, including its location in New York City and a strict focus on content such as iBooks Textbooks and iTunes U rather than any new hardware.

As a result, we believe that June 20 is a very unlikely date for an iPhone media event, with Apple being much more likely to either introduce the iPhone 5S at WWDC itself during a Monday keynote (regardless of what week the conference is held) or at a Tuesday or Wednesday media event at least several weeks removed from WWDC.

Article Link: Unlikely Rumor Claims June 20 Media Event to Introduce iPhone 5S

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
A date before WWDC would make it easier to announce awesome new features for developers to get ready for. WWDC could be all about getting new features into apps so the next iPhone is locked and loaded with killer updated apps.

What would these awesome new features be? Hopefully something better than just a faster processor.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
hasnt the iOS beta usually come out in march? this gives me hope that itll actually see some changes this time around and takes a bit longer :)

edit: nvm it was june last year?

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
If iPhone 5S is set to be released in July then that's when iOS 7 will come out as well. Given that, a new OS is usually announced about 3-3.5 months in advance. If we don't see any announcement in two weeks then we are not going to see a new OS or a new phone this July.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
A date before WWDC would make it easier to announce awesome new features for developers to get ready for. WWDC could be all about getting new features into apps so the next iPhone is locked and loaded with killer updated apps.

What would these awesome new features be? Hopefully something better than just a faster processor.

12MP, A7, Fingerprint-Senor, iOS 7.

Nothing more.

h.265

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
if the iphone 5S launch in june. we have to get iOS 7 preview this march or early april.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
If iPhone 5S is set to be released in July then that's when iOS 7 will come out as well. Given that, a new OS is usually announced about 3-3.5 months in advance. If we don't see any announcement in two weeks then we are not going to see a new OS or a new phone this July.

This is all you need to know. No need to guess.

iMore has already confirmed a while back with it's inside source that August is the target. I'd expect iOS 7 to be unveiled at a June event. But if they're making predictions, the key is iOS 7.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
haven't see any new parts for the 5S except the ones of the home button, I too believe the 5S will be announced on WWDC w/ the new iOS. The S versions always bring big software changes more so than hardware changes that impact the look, always internal specs improvement that are very welcome. So if the model is very similar to the 5 in appearance then I can see that there would be no need to have a special event just for the 5S, hell you could throw the ipad mini w/ retina in there too.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

No, it'll just be a faster processor and all the developer sessions will focus on how to make apps less efficient so that they can properly use the new processor to make a firestarting app.

I'll call mine "Flint". Or maybe "Battery + Steel Wool".

chakdey

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
I think you guys could have skipped posting this news story on here. It would have been worse if it was on the front page. :p

Rumors are Rumors and its MacRumors.com :)

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Sorry, but I think a fingerprint sensor is the stupidest thing. Also, don't expect it to see mobile phones...ever. It isn't practical. Passcode lock gives enough security.
Finger print unlock is one touch instead of 4!

iOS 7 and iPhone 5S increased EFFICIENCY by 75%!!1

You'll see it on a slide... sigh

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
slow news day....

Wait its been that way for Apple for like 5 months now...

Nothing but a load of rumors, no march event, etc.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apple has never launched an iPhone without a new OS so first iOS 7 has to be announced and go into beta. If there is hardly any beta period, then don't expect iOS 7 to be much of a change—which would be disappointing.

History of iOS releases:

Version / Announcement / Release / Days Between

2.0 / 3-6-08 / 7-11-08 / 127
3.0 / 3-17-09 / 7-17-09 / 122
4.0 / 4-8-10 / 6-21-10 / 74
5.0 / 6-6-11 / 10-12-11 / 128
6.0 / 6-11-12 / 9/19/12 / 100

The average between releases is 110 days.

If iOS 7 is demoed on 6-10-13, then expect iPhone 5S to be released around either September 24 or 25th, or October 1st or 2nd. If I were a betting man, I'd say iOS 7 is going to have some fairly significant changes—so expect a release in October.

If Apple is going to announce the iPhone 5S at WWDC on June 10th, then expect an iOS 7 event around February 19. Whoops! Well lets use the shortest ever date on the table: 74 days. That means the event should have been held by...yesterday. Crap. I suppose it would be awesome if Apple poured some of their billions into iOS 7 to rewrite it from the ground up with super stability and tons of testing, but what are the odds of that happening? Although considering how iOS 6 wasn't a huge upgrade, there could be teams who have been working on it for a couple years now making sure it's rock solid. Hmmm. The only other way this could work for a June release is for the WWDC event to be held later in June and the event invitations to go out next week or something.

I should be an analyst. Look guys! I used numbers and wild speculation!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.