Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
On 10.11, the Notes app asks you to update Notes, making some compatibility issues clear as seen in the attached screenshot. While I am using a development machine, and admittedly have no reason to check out the new Notes app itself, I am curious to try it out. Of those of you who have updated the Notes app, can you let me know whether or not my preexisting notes will continue to work, as normal, on my other, non-updated devices, as I use 1 iCloud account for personal and development. I understand new notes created on 10.11, and vice versa, will not be available on my other devices, but the wording in the screenshot that says "Once you update, you'll need to install OS X 10.11 or iOS 9 to access your iCloud notes on your other devices" worries me.

It appears that it should say "(...) to access your upgraded iCloud notes on your other devices" instead. Can anyone clarify for me whether or not the old notes, on non-updated devices, continue to work just fine?

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-19%20at%201.53.30%20AM.png

TheColtr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2014
California
I don't believe so. I don't know if you remembered but when Apple announced that "documents in the cloud" was getting replaced with iCloud Drive the same thing happened. if you upgraded you wouldn't be able to get to your "documents in the cloud" on any older OS's.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Old notes work fine. Basically, your new Notes app takes a cope of the notes as they stand, and moves them to the cloud. You now have two copies - the old one for old Notes and the new one for the new Notes.

I believe there's no way to re-sync, so the issue would be, after playing with the new Notes for a while, when 10.11 and iOS9 come out for real, any changes made to the old notes will be lost as the new Notes app won't perform the migration again. I assume.

Reactions: glhaynes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.