Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Maybe a good idea is to disallow upvoting for new users or the ones that have been here long without posting.
I know one which upvotes quite a lot, has been a member since March 19 2015 without any posts, no name here but staff can look it up.

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I know one which upvotes quite a lot, has been a member since March 19 2015 without any posts, no name here but staff can look it up.

Anybody who invests their energy in making a fake account to man spam their own or other people’s anti-Apple sentiments has far too much time on their hands (I’m assuming that’s the case based on what you’ve said). But it’s just as likely others lurk and upvote things they agree with without ever posting anything.

I wouldn’t worry as either scenario is the exception to the rule and a rarity, rather than a part of some pestilence that needs culling.

If anything your suggestion would encourage new members to post any old rubbish just to be able to upvote. That would be far worse. I know a few who post sparingly but upvote others a lot if they agree with the comments. Nothing wrong with that.

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I don't see how that would be helpful in any significant way.

Why not, just have a one post rule, or 10.

Curious why up voting bothers you - does MR give out prizes to who ever has the highest thumbs up per thread?

I'm new here but I almost never look at the number of up votes here or on other forums.

It doesn't bother me, I observed.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
They could just turn off voting altogether. Then nobody will feel like their posts are any less appreciated.

If votes affect your sense of worth, then your posting for the wrong reasons.

But, if you want more votes, you can just take the popular opinion of every thread.

Apple sucks and Trump sucks seem to be easy ways to get votes.

But, honestly I don’t care who gets the votes. Speak what you believe. Votes really shouldn’t matter.

Post count is irrelevant too. But I suppose instead of voting, a user could just write a bunch of posts say “I like that”. Then they’ll have enough posts to justify the right to click the like button.

Seems like a bunch of extra concern for no good reason.

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Why increase the complexity of the site for something that is completely unnecessary?

Well, in my opinion people (if they care) should at least post a few times before being able to like a post.

I can't believe it's a concern at all. It's not like upvoting can derail a thread or cause any issues.

I am not bothered by it, I do think that if someone registered several years ago they should at least have 1 post.

Or, just disable upvoting completely, replying to a poster is much better than upvoting or downvoting.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, in my opinion people (if they care) should at least post a few times before being able to like a post.

I am not bothered by it, I do think that if someone registered several years ago they should at least have 1 post.

Or, just disable upvoting completely, replying to a poster is much better than upvoting or downvoting.
As I recall, part of the reason behind something like upvoting/liking is to avoid posts that really don't say anything more than "+1" or "This" in replies to posts that someone likes.

Not sure what difference it makes whether or not someone has any posts in relation to them liking something. Does it affect anything?

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
If you have nothing original to say, then say nothing. If someone says something you agree with, let them know you support them. What's the problem?
I'm neither an actor or singer, I don't act or sing. I watch plays and go to concerts - I applaud. Normal behaviour.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just to make the point, which is relevant to the topic under discussion: Originally, I hadn't intended posting on this thread, but decided to do so simply to make the point that all of the posts I have up-voted express sentiments and thoughts on this subject matter with which I agree.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.