Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
I'm about to move from a MacBook Air to a new MBP 13". Currently with my Air I have a nice USB A hub that suits me well as it has all my required ports (including ethernet).

Simple question, if I plug this hub into a USB C hub with my new MBP, will it still work OK?

I'm hoping so as it means I can just order a very simple USB C hub rather than one that has lots of ports.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
USB hubs can be plugged into other hubs, provided there is enough power. If they are self powered, then it should work fine. If they aren't self powered, it might not work.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
This would make the most sense unless you need/want additional functions not provided by your current hub.

One possibly additional function that may be rather desireable would be Power Deliver (aka PD).

Agreed. Though $10 is a cheap way to buy time to research a long term option while continuing with the same prior functionality of using two cables, one to hub and one to power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.