Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yashraj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
I have a Windows 7 PC and a MacBook Pro, if I have added stuff to iphone from my PC, its done properly but when I add it from my my macbook it tells me its synced with another computer and to use it with MBP I need to erase everything, once that's done and stuff is added and I want to use it again with PC, then I need to erase again.
Is there no hassle free way to use itunes and transfer music without having to erase?
I don't use any sync for photos, mucis, videos, only for contacts which is set with icloud and MS exchange.
What should I do?

Yashraj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Only use one computer to sync your iphone with.

What if in my case when I have 2 computers?
There must be some way because people are buying new computers/formatting current ones all the time..

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
There must be some way because people are buying new computers/formatting current ones all the time..

Right, in that case they move the phone from one computer to the next and it overwrites whatever the last one did and they never sync with the old one again.

The last poster is correct, iPhones are only made to be synced with one computer at a time, you'll have to pick one.

You can use services like iCloud, Dropbox, and Google to get certain kinds of files, bookmarks, and photos synced everywhere at once, but things like movies and music in iTunes is the tough stuff. You need to decide which compeer you want to host that media and always sync with that one.

Yashraj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
In that case...
I want to add ringtones to my iphone but can't, I enabled "Tones" from preferences, which displays on the left side under my device, however when I add ringtones, they are not completely added for some reason, they are just grey. Secondly, in the main iphone window where I have Summary, Info, Apps, Music... Ringtones is missing which is the last step to actually add the ringtones, how do I get that given that I have already enabled in preferences?

NEVERMIND, IT JUST CAME UP

Last edited:

Homersapien

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Apple doesn't want you using multiple computers. You can turn on home sharing if the comps are on the same network. If not (home/work), well, tough. Welcome to Apple and iTunes.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Cheers and thanks :)
Just wish all this was easier and less complicated.

When I had a Droid X I was constantly frustrated by how complicated Android was compared to what I was used to. I'd end up with multiples of the same contact because of how Android worked.

It's all in what you're used to.

Library Tunes

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
I wrote a program called Library Tunes that lets you manage your Apple devices on multiple computers. However, it only works for Windows computers.

It just modifies your library files so they are the same across multiple computers. It's also handy because if you can no longer access your old computer, it can find the old computer's library ID from your Apple device (iPad, iPod, iPhone, etc.).

Also, you continue to use iTunes to manage your media files. You don't have to use a third-party manager.

And it's free (just have to deal with the ads - sorry guys). Watch the video on the site and you can see how it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.