Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EVB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
Hi All,

First post on this site...

I've recorded some video on a Nikon D7000 DSLR and noticed but can't see or import it from my SD card to my MacBook Pro.

No idea what to do next :confused:, so I've tried to summarise what I'm experiencing below in the hope someone has a work-around:

- Video doesn't appear to upload with the photos to iPhoto and is not visible through iPhoto (photos transfer as normal but video is nowhere to be seen)
- Tried copy pasting all card contents to finder, still only JPEG files are visible
- Tried accessing through iMovie (file > import > movies ) and receive the error message "Nothing to Import"**
- I can view the video on my camera display without any issue

Any help from more knowledgeable types would be very much appreciated. I now realise that none of the (relatively small amount of) video I have shot since getting my mac a few years ago appears is in evidence, so I may have lost the lot :mad:

Has anyone experienced this issue? Any workarounds. I've seen threads re: video import issues but not seem to match what I'm encountering.

Thanks very much in advance for your suggestions.

EVB

**Incidentally, iMovie also froze 3 or 4 times when I clicked yes on a dialogue box asking me if I wanted to assign thumbnails to existing videos (when I clicked no to this it eventually opened but no joy)

musique

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
In what format did you record your video? According to the specs that camera can record in MOV format. Is that what you used?

EVB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
Hi,

Thanks very much for replying.

I just checked back on the camera and it is in .MOV format.

Since the original post I tried downloading Nikon's software package ViewNX2, and the file doesn't show up in that either (just JPEGs again).

Cheers,
EVB

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Why don't you just take a look at the DCIM directory with Finder and copy the MOV files manually to your desktop computer? Then, you can already import those videos into iMovie.

EVB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
Hi Menneisyys2,

Thanks for the suggestion as I'm quite puzzled.

As mentioned in earlier post, I've tried copy pasting all card contents to finder, but only JPEGs showed up.

To flesh that out a bit, I clicked on the directory in Finder (both for SD card directly and later after copying its contents, on the HD). I also searched for the file name without extension but nothing came up.

I'm a very non-technical user of both devices so if there's a trick beyond clicking on the directory it should be in, I'd love to hear about it!

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
The D7000 has two SD card slots.

No offense meant, but is there any chance that you have 2 SD cards installed and that the D7000 is set to record video to the card you haven't taken out of the D7000 because you didn't realize it was in there?

The fact that you can play the video on the camera seems conclusive evidence that the file's in there somewhere.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I have a 2012 Macbook Pro and a D7000, and just last week, I shot video and stills on it, then took the SD card out of the Nikon and into the side of the Macbook Pro, and all files transferred normally.

I second the belief that you've got movie files going to a second card in the camera. If you go to the menu, select Shooting Menu> Movie settings> Destination, see if you don't have them going to slot 2.

EVB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
wonderspark & monokakata... thank you!

It appears you're both right. I have tried with the second memory card and the videos are hidden there. Evidently it has to do with settings on the camera.

(and no offence taken monokakata - a simple oversight on my part was the best outcome I could hope for)

Thanks again!

jpquinn856

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
Why don't you just take a look at the DCIM directory with Finder and copy the MOV files manually to your desktop computer? Then, you can already import those videos into iMovie.
So strange.. I had the same issue and it was driving me crazy. I found this forum and followed your directions and searched the DCIM folder and found the video instantly. But nothing else (Finder, final cut pro, imovie, quicktime, ect) would see it on the SD card before that? Very frustrating.

nadia.1a

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2018
SCRATCH THAT! I SOLVED IT!!

I have the same problem. Anyone can help? However my camera is Sony a5000, and it only has 1 SD card slot. I shot some video in both AVCHD at up to 24Mbit/s, MP4 (AVC) at up to 12Mbit/s, and neither videos shown up on my MacBook Pro. Photos show up just fine, so all the JPEG files are there however the videos are not! Frustrating! At first when I shot AVCHD and it didn't show on my Mac, I thought maybe something was wrong with the card and formatted the card, and then after that time I reset all the settings to 0, and set videos to shut in MP4, and still nothing! Pics show up just fine and no vids. My MacBook Pro is the latest model, so I am not sure whats going on here. Anyone has got any idea as to where I can start looking to solve this, please? Thank you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It turned out that it created a separate folder for the videos, and when I first checked it was not there, but after formatting the card the vids appeared in a different folder which I didn't check straight away.

Last edited:

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I sometimes shoot video with a Sony RX100. If you're trying to find the clips manually (by using Finder) then unless you know where they're stored you can go crazy.

On the SD card, using Finder:

You should find a folder named "Private." Within it, you'll find a package called "AVCHD."
Right-click on it and from the menu, choose "Show Package Contents."
You should see "BDMV," another package.
Right-click, choose "Show Package Contents" again.
Now you should see a series of folders: CLIPINF, PLAYLIST, and STREAM.
Your video clips are in STREAM.

If you move them from STREAM, though, you lose contextual information. Typically, an editing program will drill down for you, grab the extra information, and return the clips. But Finder knows nothing about that.

If the A5000 doesn't store video the way the RX100 does, then this is all of no use to you. But I bet that it does.

Reactions: BrewDude

ntphotographer

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2021
I sometimes shoot video with a Sony RX100. If you're trying to find the clips manually (by using Finder) then unless you know where they're stored you can go crazy.

On the SD card, using Finder:

You should find a folder named "Private." Within it, you'll find a package called "AVCHD."
Right-click on it and from the menu, choose "Show Package Contents."
You should see "BDMV," another package.
Right-click, choose "Show Package Contents" again.
Now you should see a series of folders: CLIPINF, PLAYLIST, and STREAM.
Your video clips are in STREAM.

If you move them from STREAM, though, you lose contextual information. Typically, an editing program will drill down for you, grab the extra information, and return the clips. But Finder knows nothing about that.

If the A5000 doesn't store video the way the RX100 does, then this is all of no use to you. But I bet that it does.
WOW! JUST WOW! I was so, so frustrated that I couldn't import / access my video files. And then WOW, you SOLVED my problem. Never would I have ever figured this out. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! "Show Package Contents" was the trick! Then I just dragged the files over. Ahhhhh seriously, you solved a big "head ache". Many thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Reactions: monokakata

Ad47uk

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2023
I know this thread is old, but just like to say thank you, as a new Mac user I have a old JVC Everio
which i still use now and again as for HD it works pretty well and if it was not for this thread I would be tearing my hair out about how to access the files. I would never have thought about the show package contents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.