Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
Ok..so i just got a hplaptop to go with my amazing black macbook...and it came with a 100gig drive..now under my computer there is a drive for
A) Recover (like 8gigs)
B) Drive C: 103 gigs roughly
B) Drive D: 73 gigs roughly

Now how can i check to see if Drive D is a partion? and how could i delete it and then make drive C: bigger? and whats this recover crap? like mac never has this confusion of drives..its just one drive? and im so lost? please help?

scanlanlee

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2006
Ireland
Right click on the 'Computer' icon in the start panel and then select manage from the drop down list - from here select Disk Management and from the new window that opens and the disks should show up here.

Hope that helps....:)

Don't you just love the OS X simplicity!!!

If you do reformat then (unless you have another Vista disk) DON'T delete the recovery partition, it normally contains the OS as well as those nice 30 day prog that ship with all PC's..lol

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Ok..so i just got a hplaptop to go with my amazing black macbook...and it came with a 100gig drive..now under my computer there is a drive for
A) Recover (like 8gigs)

Now how can i check to see if Drive D is a partion? and how could i delete it and then make drive C: bigger? and whats this recover crap? like mac never has this confusion of drives..its just one drive? and im so lost? please help?

Vista is quite nice in this area. First things first, unless you have a monster 17" laptop which weighs a tonne, you can assume that drive D is a partition rather than a second hard drive. This can be checked from Disk Management either way.

*THIS STEP COULD DESTROY YOUR DATA SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL - IF YOU ARE NOT SURE GET SOMEONE WHO IS *

Examine the contents of D: to see if there is any data on it. If it is completely blank, then you can use Disk Management to remove that partition. You can then right click on C: drive and select Extend partition. This will allow you to change the size of the drive to use the rest of the disk, except for the recover drive (which you should leave alone).

Partitions are essentially the same in Windows as they are on a Mac. Neither is simpler or more complicated. How HP and the other OEMs configure the drives is up to them - this is not a default characteristic of Windows as some posters in this thread have implied. For example, you could potentially configure OS X with numerous partitions - some using different file systems I suppose - and end up with a very complicated system - despite it being a Mac!

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
:D

Seriously, your post was very nice, and I hadn't used Vista for this, so it was good to know how the system works in Vista. It does actually sound pretty good.

Heheh, yep it's pretty good.

I've been using Vista on my new Windows box for almost two weeks now, and at first I hated it. But now that I'm getting used to it I'm actually starting to like it. Its multimedia features are better than my Mac's, and better than Leopard's too. :eek:

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Heheh, yep it's pretty good.

I've been using Vista on my new Windows box for almost two weeks now, and at first I hated it. But now that I'm getting used to it I'm actually starting to like it. Its multimedia features are better than my Mac's, and better than Leopard's too. :eek:

What sort of multimedia features? I have Vista but I haven't really taken advantage of what it can do

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
What sort of multimedia features? I have Vista but I haven't really taken advantage of what it can do

I have the Home Premium version, and it comes with Windows Media Centre, which is great if you don't want to look for a third party app. WMC also doesn't require an infrared remote control port to install (like Frontrow on the Mac - darn I wish I could use it on my iBook).

The Explorer interface, for browsing files, has been enhanced to not only show previews etc (something that Apple has prettied up on Leopard), but EXIF data which ties in with MS's equivalent of iPhoto - Windows Photo Gallery. It's a very smooth way of dealing with photos. Unfortunately I can't use iPhoto on my Mac because it insists on making duplicates of all of my existing images, and then duplicates them again whenever I make a change. I have a couple of hundred gigabytes of photos, so this isn't feasible. Windows Photo Gallery doesn't make duplicates when you launch it for the first time. I don't know if it does when you make a change to a file - I tend to use Photoshop Elements for that stuff.

You can also launch some amazing slideshows directly from Explorer, with all sorts of special effects and transitions. Burning DVDs is still not quite as nice as it is on my Mac though. I haven't explored Vista's DVD or movie creation software yet. For music, I use iTunes so I can't really talk much about WMP's integration in the OS.

Playing videos from Explorer is also much improved. It lacks the flair of Leopard's Finder when it comes to this, but it does everything just as well, and also shows useful information like bitrate and frames per second, etc.

But anyway, I'm kinda rambling. But like I said before, I really hated Vista at first, but now that I have some content in it, ie, music, photos, videos, it's really coming into its own.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Yeah, problem is you have to get Home Premium or Ultimate to get multimedia features.

My copy of Business doesn't even play dvds. And if I want the codecs apparently Microsoft expect me to fork out even more money for them. :rolleyes:

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
well

i only paid 999 cnd for this crap machine to watch movies and record tv shows etc....i saved up..im returning this sh*T and buying a 17inch macbook pro!!!! y

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
My copy of Business doesn't even play dvds. And if I want the codecs apparently Microsoft expect me to fork out even more money for them. :rolleyes:

This is a nuisance, but as far as I know, Vista is the first release of a Microsoft PC operating system to *ever* come in any version that included DVD playback. Previous versions of Windows have never included these codecs... that's why every Windows PC has traditionally come with some random DVD player software: the OEMs were paying separately for DVD-playback.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
This is a nuisance, but as far as I know, Vista is the first release of a Microsoft PC operating system to *ever* come in any version that included DVD playback. Previous versions of Windows have never included these codecs... that's why every Windows PC has traditionally come with some random DVD player software: the OEMs were paying separately for DVD-playback.

Really? :confused:

I suppose thinking back that would make sense, I always did have PowerDVD installed, and would have had it installed this time as well only...well, the copy that came with the dvd drive wasn't compatible with Vista? Dang.

It's only a backup machine anyway, so it doesn't bother me that much. I still feel slightly crippled though in what I get for the price.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think that's right... I hope I'm not totally making this up. :p People used to run into lots of trouble when they wanted to clean install Windows on their PCs because they'd suddenly have no DVD player.

FWIW, if you're doing without right now, get VLC. It's an excellent cross-platform, free, open source media player that can play DVDs. On some systems it is even able to bypass region coding.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
A) Recover (like 8gigs)

FWIW, our new Sony was set up the same way.

The Recover partition, allows you to fix you Vista installation among other things.

One of the other things, is that you can create a restore DVD set (took 2 DVDs). With the restore DVD set you can restore the computer to it's original state which is useful should you decided to upgrade your HD.

I erased the HD, and used the restore DVD set to return the computer to it's original state. Worked well.

You can also choose to restore only the Vista installation with one partition.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
i only paid 999 cnd for this crap machine to watch movies and record tv shows etc....i saved up..im returning this sh*T and buying a 17inch macbook pro!!!! y

Ahh, the 17" MBP is a lovely machine. Although you will need to save a hell of a lot harder if you want to be able to afford one.

Otherwise, with a few hours of learning you could have your el-cheapo laptop purring like a kitten.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
As much as I love OS X, after my MacBook has had so many odd, quirky, pesky and annoying problems, and with Vista coming out and Windows laptops being so inexpensive (and often better than my MacBook), I am considering switching back eventually. :(

It's not necessarily an OS X/Windows argument, because I know I can install Windows on my MacBook. Apple's build quality just seems to have gone down like crazy lately.

It's sad but it's true. :( Vista sounds nice.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I think that's right... I hope I'm not totally making this up. :p People used to run into lots of trouble when they wanted to clean install Windows on their PCs because they'd suddenly have no DVD player.

FWIW, if you're doing without right now, get VLC. It's an excellent cross-platform, free, open source media player that can play DVDs. On some systems it is even able to bypass region coding.

Yeah you're probably right, but even VLC couldn't play dvd's in Vista properly when I tried that. I'd get sound with no video or just a blank. Ended up buying Nero for it and that came with it's own DVD player. WMP still refuses to play dvds. :rolleyes: Ah well.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yeah you're probably right, but even VLC couldn't play dvd's in Vista properly when I tried that. I'd get sound with no video or just a blank. Ended up buying Nero for it and that came with it's own DVD player. WMP still refuses to play dvds. :rolleyes: Ah well.

Wow, that's good to know...hmmm....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.