Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

vivaldi-250x250.jpg
Vivaldi web browser for Mac, the spiritual successor to Opera 12, released version 1.14 on Wednesday, introducing an innovative new vertical reader mode, Markdown support, and other notable improvements.

Vivaldi's Reader View works similar to reading modes in other browsers, allowing users to view content in a clutter-free reading environment where they can change the font, adjust line height, column width and switch to dark or light background.

With the latest update, however, a new vertical reading option can be found in the Reader View settings, allowing Chinese, Japanese and Korean users to read online text in a vertical direction with no distracting page elements.

vrm-settings-1-14.jpg

Moving on, Vivaldi has improved its notes feature, accessed in the browser's side bar, which lets users annotate websites and attach screenshots while they browse. In 1.14, Markdown support has been introduced, making it possible to easily format note text on the fly while surfing the web.

Elsewhere, the location of individual quick-access Web Panels can now be customized in the browser sidebar, while users are also able to rearrange search engines in the list layout using drag and drop for the most convenient order.

notes-markdown.jpg

As well as the above updates, newcomers to Vivaldi should check out the app's in-depth browsing habits overview, which is backed by statistics and visual data, along with its tab stacking and tab tiling features, not to mention an exhaustive set of browser customization options. Vivaldi browser is a free download for Mac available directly from the Vivaldi website.

Article Link: Vivaldi Web Browser Gains Vertical Reading Mode, Markdown Support for Notes, and More

JungeQuex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Anyone used this yet? I have yet to try it. Currently using Brave now.

I swear that there’s so far no such thing as a “good” browser. Chrome and Firefox eat resources. Safari tabs go inactive after sitting idle (not good for some work I do). Brave has key functions that don’t work on certain pages. And on and on we go.

I just want a simple, speedy browser that supports extensions and won’t use 6-8GB.

Reactions: SigEp265

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Been using Vivaldi off and on since 1.0. The current version is very refined/stable (has been for a long time now) and I find myself going to it more than Firefox lately (I work in PC and Macs on a daily basis) even though I've been dedicated to Firefox since its beginning.

The refresh-able speed dial page, in particular, is something that draws me to it (reminds me of when Safari had refreshable thumbnails way back when...). I just refresh the sites I'm interested in and can see if I want to go to them or not from a big picture view. The original folks who created Opera are the ones who created and are developing Vivaldi. In my Mac space I use it, along with Firefox and Safari and works well for me.

Anyone used this yet? I have yet to try it. Currently using Brave now...I just want a simple, speedy browser that supports extensions and won’t use 6-8GB.

Yeah, Vivaldi is based off the same open source engine powering Chrome (forked off Safari's engine)...so its going to eat resources alot like Chrome (i.e. more tabs loaded means more resources used). It installs plugins from Chrome's store and is compatible with them (uBlock Origin and Ghostery loaded on mine as I type). YMMV...

Last edited:

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Anyone used this yet? I have yet to try it. Currently using Brave now.

I swear that there’s so far no such thing as a “good” browser. Chrome and Firefox eat resources. Safari tabs go inactive after sitting idle (not good for some work I do). Brave has key functions that don’t work on certain pages. And on and on we go.

I just want a simple, speedy browser that supports extensions and won’t use 6-8GB.

Is Firefox really that bad now since version 57? I think it is really snappy and stays so even with many tabs open – something the later versions of Safari has struggled with for me. I know there seems to be an issue with Firefox eating lot of CPU when visiting certain sites, but I'm thinking that will be fixed.

Last edited:

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010
On my system Vivaldi keeps asking for permission to use Keychain, which I don't want to give it. I would use it more often if it permanently accepted a no to keychain permissions.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia

Good luck with that!
Modern webpages with many ads eat up resources like a joke. Even if you use some kind of ad-blocker, they are memory and CPU hungry.

In the last months, there are more and more websites, that are using you CPUs etc. power for bitcoin and similar -coins mining. And you are wondering, why is your four+ core computer working like a snail?

SigEp265

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2011
Southern California
Good luck with that!
Modern webpages with many ads eat up resources like a joke. Even if you use some kind of ad-blocker, they are memory and CPU hungry.

In the last months, there are more and more websites, that are using you CPUs etc. power for bitcoin and similar -coins mining. And you are wondering, why is your four+ core computer working like a snail?

There are extensions to block websites from using your browser to mine cryptocurrency.

BenKingery

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2017
Oh interesting. I wasn't aware of the notes feature with markdown. One thing, I'm still not a fan of the bookmark manager. But I just use Bookmark OS in the browser

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Is Firefox really that bad now since version 57? I think it is really snappy and stays so even with many tabs open – something the later versions of Safari has struggled with for me. I know there seema to be an issue with Firefox eatinga lot of CPU when visiting certain sites, but I'm thinking that will be fixed.

Well, responsiveness on the new architecture is great. I'm also someone who watched how at startup and loading pages would eat memory in Firefox, Chrome etc. on Windows (where I sit at work during the day - I ran things in 32bit VM's sometimes memory would matter). Up until the big architecture change in Firefox its started up and kept memory usage much lower than Chrome etc... of course that was a single thread to run everything through etc., so if one tab went down everything did - but that rarely ever happened with my plugins (uBlock Origin and Ghostery). But the new one eats memory by the gobs in comparison...

Noteworthy, the original Firefox engine would bleed small amounts of memory throughout the day (small amounts of memory that aren't freed after you close all the tabs) - most browsers do this to some extent actually, while the new doesn't seem to bleed it as much.

For a short time you can still see the difference, actually. Firefox has what they call Firefox ESR (extended support release) - which is basically a version that keeps the architecture stable for a year or something but ports in all the security fixes that happen over time. Targeted at companies (cause they were being shutout in the corporate world to Chrome). So the current Firefox ESR still has the original Firefox engine (not the updated memory eating one). You can download it and run it to see the lower amounts of startup and tab memory buildup:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

In small memory situations its significant...and makes Firefox ESR worth installing. That said it'll switch over to the newer memory eating architecture in August 2018. ;-) All the old plugins and UI customizations work in it, so nice...

Just checked it out on my machine, the 32bit Firefox ESR starts up using 1/2 the memory of the newer architecture 64bit Firefox v58 about 2/3rds of the memory of the 32bit v58.

Last edited:
Reactions: star-affinity

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Updated to Vivaldi 1.14 and just like Google Chrome it's a bit laggy to scroll compared to the current versions of Safari and Firefox. Just go to the main MacRumors page https://www.macrumors.com and after it has loaded, grab the scroll bar at the right hand side and drag up and down. Smooth in Safari and Firefox, not as smooth in Vivaldi and Chrome.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.